GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_3524.jpg Does any body have an idea what this is or where it goes it was down by the cooling system fill tube below the alternator it looks to be tied in with the alternator wiring

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
That is your Side Stand switch. It is tied to keep it from rotating, and killing the Trike.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
View attachment 488 Does any body have an idea what this is or where it goes it was down by the cooling system fill tube below the alternator it looks to be tied in with the alternator wiring
Yes, that is your electronic framulator. It monitors your muffler bearings and will issue an FI warning (3 flashes following by 13 flashes) if bearing resistance falls below 22 occillations/mile.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
George P. You win the Prize MotorTrike does build a nice Trike

M

·
0 Posts
And I thought that everyone here knew what the spare crush washer looks like. :shock:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
View attachment 488 Does any body have an idea what this is or where it goes it was down by the cooling system fill tube below the alternator it looks to be tied in with the alternator wiring
Hey caem.....
Just be sure it's tied up so it cannot drop down very far into that hole behind the alternator. It will end up laying on the exhaust pipe and it will not be a nice round thingie after that.
It also may destroy the switch contacts thus preventing the trike from starting until you short the wires together to make it think the side stand is up.
Yeah....I got one of them heat distorted thingies for a paper weight.:lol:

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
+1 on the kickstand switch.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Considering how incredibly expensive trikes are, not to mention the engineering that goes into them, that's a pretty cheezy setup. Why didn't they just cut the switch off and crimp the wires together so that the switch can no longer be an issue?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I also was wondering why they just put a wire tie around the switch. Not going to stop vibration from moving it. Those switches do take a bit of friction to move, but the law of Murphy says if it can happen it will.

Stranded on the side of the road, bike will not start, each time you put it in gear it will die, might take even an experienced mechanic a bit of time to figure that one out, just like myself, sometimes it takes a bit for the light bulb to come on and I would not be suspecting that set up.

It has a pin connector up the harness just about 8 to 10 inches. Not sure if it is an normally open or normally closed circuit, but I would just unplug the pin connector and if all works, tape it up well. If it needs to be a normally closed circuit, stick a quick lock across the wires and tape that up. That way it will not ambush you in the future.

That is a perfect example of why I only at the point of extreme emergency go to a dealer. Even if I had an emergency tow in and needed a new tire, you can bet I will stop at the closest store and purchase a torque wrench and check the bolts and or lug nuts on the tires.

I agree that is a cheeeeeeezzzzzy set up.

Kit

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
My concern isn't due to the possibility of the switch moving. (although that may be a valid point) Since it isn't used, the switch will probably fail prematurely. Switches last the longest when they are operated periodically because of the mechanical wiping action across the contacts. My concern is that the switch will fail at some point down the road, leaving a biker stranded for no good reason.

From a safety standpoint, Honda would have to design the circuit so that the switch has to be closed for the bike to start while in gear. If they didn't do it that way, the bike would be able to ridden with the side stand down if the switch went bad.

If it were my bike.........

W

·
0 Posts
The side stand switch is SPDT. With the stand up, the input from the clutch switch goes to ground allowing the relay to operate. With the stand down, the input from the side stand indicator light goes to ground illuminating the light.

·
Banned
716 Posts
Part

:joke:That is the end cover of an enema bag tube used to put fluid in the rear end of a GL1800. Tied down so as not to get lost:wrong:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts