GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the 595 mentioned pretty frequently, but the 396 looks significantly cheaper for only 1/2" smaller screen. Does anyone own one? What are your thoughts on it?

·
Administrator
4,581 Posts
decent gps, BT, school & speed zone alerts, plot your own routes, easily removable, plus bunch of wiz-bang features I'll never use!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have both Zumo 390 on my GoldWing 2018 Airbag/DCT and a Zumo 595 on my 2019 DCT Africa Twin.

I have the Zumo 390 on my 2018 Airbag, which I tranferred from my traded GL1800 2013 and also use the TPMS function with the addional TPMS sensors on the wheel valve's. This is a good additional feature also on the 2018+ as with the Zumo you can display both front and rear wheel pressure values at the same time. On the build in TPMS of Honda, you can only diplay 1 tire at a time and also at the expense of the remaining fuel distance function.

When I bought my first manual shift CRF 1000 Africa Twin in 2017 I also wanted music on this bike, so I bought the Zumo 590 with MP3 function (not on Zumo 390) and TPMS function under the assumption that it was the bigger brother of the Zumo 390. I was really disappointed once I started using it on my Africa Twin because of the vague color contrast of the map on the screen. The color contrast of the route on the Zumo 390 is far superior to the Zumo 595 and Garmin confirmed that both Zumo's use different display technology. I even manupulated the screen contrast with a Java program, but did never get the color contrast brigtness of the Zumo 390.

My advise based on my experience, go for the Zumo 396 (later version of my 390) as you can enjoy music on the 2018+ from the USB stick.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Lmt396-s

Please note the 396 does not support Garmin TPMS sensors. That is a feature Garmin seems to be andoning.

I have used a Garmin Dezl 760 for years, but now use the 396. I like the 396 a lot better with some definite issues. Here is a random mix of goods and bads from my viewpoint.

It is not possible to completely control the sound level coming from it in my configuration. I pair my phone to the 396 for phone calls and notifications only. Headset is paired to the 396 and to the bike's Freewire. When the 396 interrupts the Freewire, it turns the volume all the way up and blasts away. Even if I turn it down on the headset during the announcement, the next announcement is full blast again. That would be no big deal except I use ear buds when I ride so it can be uncomfortable.

There is a little popcorn noise between my headset (Sena 20S) and the 396 during announcements. Not too bad but a bit annoying.

Sometimes the 396 will not let the 20S go back to the original program from the Freewire. Either a subsequent announcement from the Zumo will usually fix the problem or I can turn the bluetooth off on the 396 and that will solve the problem.

There is a "Help" question mark too close to the check box for turning bluetooth on and off. Sometimes I get help instead of toggling bluetooth as i intended.

The screen on the 396 is significantly smaller than the 760, but it is close enough to not be a problem. It was originally a little disconcerting that I could only see part of the QWERTY keyboard at a time and I had to hit a button to see the other half of the keyboard. Even at that, it is pretty easy to use with gloves on.

I really like the adventure routing with the exception of if you turn it off to see the distances and times for more conventional routing and then you go back to adventure routing, it is almost guaranteed to give you a completely different route this time. I've seen that simple change double the time to my destination.

I use the "Up Ahead" function a lot to find gas stations. I find it to be very handy.

If I am generating routes on the 396, it is generally just an "I'm going here. How do I get there?" kind of thing. If I'm actually planning a route, I do that with Basecamp and transfer the routes in over with USB.

I was frustrated to find out that I could not transfer routes to the GPS over either Bluetooth or WiFi. A USB connection is still required.

I really like the lane assist feature when riding in unfamiliar places. It really helps me to get into the right lane at the right time. The 396 also seems to announce upcoming turns in plenty of time to prepare for the next turn with very few exceptions.

I like being able to see texts from my phone on the GPS, although if it is something I need to deal with, I still stop and reply.

I have used the Motorcycle specific POIs to find a bike shop on my current route to change a tire when I was on a trip. It worked much better than trying to use Google to find something.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I can send my routes from my S6 samsung wireless to my 396 with Garmin smartphone link. I make my route in MRA(MyRouteApp) on the smartphone and sent the track to the 396. I make my route also on the samsung Tablet, easier because bigger screen, but then I have to sent it (GPX file) to my smartphone.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your replies, especially networkguy3 and Dutch Harry. I think for $320 on Amazon, it would be worth it to pick one up. I've been thinking about the TomTom as well since it is much newer, but with just about everyone having the Garmin, I feel like that is probably a hint.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Newer GPS

The LMT 396-S is the newest in the Zumo family. I think it is only a year old or so. The 395 has been out for a long time, but it does not have WiFi.

BTW: I dropped my 396 out of the bracket at 70 mph going down the highway and it survived with only a few scuffs on one corner. I felt it bounce off of my knee on the way down, turned around and picked it up off of the highway and went on. I now have a rubber web that holds it on in case I accidentally release the GPS from its clamp again. Even though the clamp could be more secure, I do really like the fact that the Zumo is so easy to take off of the bike.

My old Garmin Dezl would not have faired nearly as well sliding down the highway.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The LMT 396-S is the newest in the Zumo family. I think it is only a year old or so. The 395 has been out for a long time, but it does not have WiFi.
I stand corrected, it looks like they were both announced in early 2018. Garmin shipped first in US, TomTom was delayed for US sale. The Garmin is $320 on Amazon right now (TomTom is $370). I would buy a Garmin just for BaseCamp but they have made it pretty clear that they are abandoning BaseCamp and the Explore website doesn't work. I don't want to buy something that becomes crippled in 6 months.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Is there an easy way to run the power cabling and connect to the bike's power?
I don't know about easy, but you can either connect it to the aux power under the left pocket or run power from somewhere else. I run the wires down the handle bars and zip tie them so they don't flop around. I also make sure there is plenty of slack to allow the handle bars to turn without binding the wiring.

I run my power from a fuse block in the back of the bike. It is pretty easy to do when you have the plastic off to change the air filter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ran my wires back with a 36" zip tie. I also used small black zip ties around the handle bar area. I have my 396 mounted to the right side as I have a cup holder on the left. The 396 does everything that I need. I have it BT to my Cardo Bold, does what I need.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts