GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about changing out the front speakers to the Show Chrome (13-104) 2-Way speakers which are rated at 3 Ohms 30W RMS. Unfortunately the owners manual does not list the output impedance of the Stereo Audio Outputs.

Using Ohm’s law we know that the maximum power transfer to the speaker will occur when the audio Output impedance matches the speaker impedance= 3 Ohms.

Perhaps this is in the Honda Service manual. As yet I have not shelled out the $166 for one, but that will happen later this year, budget permitting. Anyone able to find this info, would be very much appreciated.

Happy Trails and thanks in advance

·
Love The DCT
12,011 Posts
Thinking about changing out the front speakers to the Show Chrome (13-104) 2-Way speakers which are rated at 3 Ohms 30W RMS. Unfortunately the owners manual does not list the output impedance of the Stereo Audio Outputs.

Using Ohm’s law we know that the maximum power transfer to the speaker will occur when the audio Output impedance matches the speaker impedance= 3 Ohms.

Perhaps this is in the Honda Service manual. As yet I have not shelled out the $166 for one, but that will happen later this year, budget permitting. Anyone able to find this info, would be very much appreciated.

Happy Trails and thanks in advance
The resistance between the speaker terminals is 4 ohms.

:doorag:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks Murf:

Is that a measured value? That’s pretty close... Might have to try those speakers, they can’t be any worse than the OEMs. My 2012 had such a great stereo. It’s really a shame that Honda, improved the new model in so many ways, yet sacrificed the Navi and Stereo. Both are just pitiful IMHO

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The optional amp and speakers sound much better than stock however you sacrifice storage space - perhaps 25-30% of the left saddlebag. I would purchase again.

·
Love The DCT
12,011 Posts
Thanks Murf:

Is that a measured value? That’s pretty close... Might have to try those speakers, they can’t be any worse than the OEMs. My 2012 had such a great stereo. It’s really a shame that Honda, improved the new model in so many ways, yet sacrificed the Navi and Stereo. Both are just pitiful IMHO
The 4 ohm value is what the service manual shows when a volt/ohmeter is connected to the speaker terminals.

:doorag:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The optional amp and speakers sound much better than stock however you sacrifice storage space - perhaps 25-30% of the left saddlebag. I would purchase again.
I may try that down the road... a grand seems spendy for a bike that I just paid 25 large for... I think I will try the show chrome 2 way speaker first

1 - 6 of 6 Posts