GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....any experience or information about putting a sidecar on a Wing? I think they look cool but wonder if they are safe and as sturdy as they look.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

You might want to check out a company called California Side Car (CSC.) They have a great deal of experience with sidecars.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I have a 2003 with a California Sidecar. What do you want to know? It's sturdy and safe enough to carry the grandkids. It rides nothing like a motorcycle. I've never ridden a trike so I can't compare. It's like...well...I guess it's like riding a sidecar bike.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw some videos of Wings with sidecars and the sidecar was up in the air!!! What's with that?! Are they not safe.... it appears they cannot stay on the ground in a turn unless there is a body in them.

·
Registered
307 Posts
There used to be a guy around here that would put his side car up in the air all the time - - - with his wife in the side car. (She of course would scream and holler at him each time he did it. He thought it was funny.)

If you drive sensible they are as safe as can be. If you like to show off they can be pulled off the ground. With or without a passenger in them.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
I saw some videos of Wings with sidecars and the sidecar was up in the air!!! What's with that?! Are they not safe.... it appears they cannot stay on the ground in a turn unless there is a body in them.
The driver is doing that on purpose, and it is called "flying the chair."

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
My experience with one...

My buddy has one on a Kawasaki Voyager and I rode in it once. He turned a corner forgetting how wide the thing was and the sidecar with me in it went into a ditch inside the turn.:wrong:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rode one for over 10 years

....any experience or information about putting a sidecar on a Wing? I think they look cool but wonder if they are safe and as sturdy as they look.
Within a year after purchasing my new 1996 SE, my ne wife got pregnant. Two months later, another chapter member's wife got pregnant. We both independantly decided to purchase the Hannigan 2 + 2 model. Our son started riding at 7 months and two years ago he finally stated he wants out of the sidecar after 12 years of riding it.

We had the GL1500 with a larger sidecar and we also pulled a large popup camper all over the country!!

I could stand and jump on the car. It was extremely sturdy.

There are things to learn on how to drive them, but we loved it. If it wasn't for the kid wanting to ride two wheels (OK, me too), we'd probably have kept it......

·
Registered
128 Posts
You might also check out the Hannigan "Tri-car" that combines a sidecar with a trike, supposedly with the best of both. Looks a little weird, but the idea's kinda cool...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Are Wings designed for this?:shrug:, and what does the manual say about it? ducbob, can you weigh in on this please?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
California Side Car (CSC) is out of the Sidecar Business due to a massive fire a while back that distroyed their molds etc. CSC has sold most all of their left over parts and isn't making any effort to re-tool so what ever you do avoid buying any used CSC units unless they come with all the mounting hardware and features you want in very good working condition 'cause you won't be able to get any replacement parts. All that being said they did have some neat rigs and if you find a good used one that's complete keep you purchase price low and enjoy it

The other current options are Champion and Hannigan for Wings.

Try these forums for more info.

http://www.sidecar.com/

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

http://www.advrider.com/
in the Hacks section

They are free to join and have a lot of folks that are both Riders (Pilots) and reps of the various Sidecar Co's to ask any questions you may have.

·
Registered
714 Posts
There are many sidecars on GW's. Go to one of the Wing-Dings and you will see all kinds.

I don't think they are approved by Honda, but most after market modifications aren't.

·
Registered
836 Posts
They call that "flying the chair." It can be done even with someone in the sidecar. It's not unsafe (IF the driver knows what he's doing!).

I've ridden in a sidecar a time or two, but have never driven a bike with one, but I understand that physics is not your friend when you mount one on your bike. When you want to speed up, it wants to maintain a steady state, so it drags and pulls on that side of the bike. When you brake, it wants to maintain a steady state, so it pulls that side of the bike forward. If you know what's happening and are ready for it, it's no big deal. But it is something you'll be aware of , no question.

Also, you'll need a 'leading link' front end on your bike. That is, you need to change the angle of the forks, otherwise the bike will feel 'pigeon-toed' and be a real so-and-so to steer.

I always thought a Ural with a sidecar - one that has the 2WD setup - would be fun to play with. But even if I could justify having a second bike, I don't have the garage space.

·
Registered
12 Posts
They call that "flying the chair." It can be done even with someone in the sidecar. It's not unsafe (IF the driver knows what he's doing!).
Rode one for 12 years and was only able to fly once, when the conditions were perfect (weight, direction, etc). When I got the car, the manufacturer showed me how to do it, so I'd know what to expect.

...but I understand that physics is not your friend when you mount one on your bike. When you want to speed up, it wants to maintain a steady state, so it drags and pulls on that side of the bike. When you brake, it wants to maintain a steady state, so it pulls that side of the bike forward. If you know what's happening and are ready for it, it's no big deal. But it is something you'll be aware of , no question.
This is true! Each brand of car acts slightly different (I have ridden several), but once you understand it, you can adjust your riding. After an ERC (Experience Rider Course) I learned how to adjust in the seat for added mobility around corners.

Also, you'll need a 'leading link' front end on your bike. That is, you need to change the angle of the forks, otherwise the bike will feel 'pigeon-toed' and be a real so-and-so to steer.
This statement is dependant upon the brand. The Hannigan offers it, but since I just had a child, I couldn't afford it. I never rode with one and never modified my bike (except for having Progressive springs prior to the sidecar). By using the speed of the bike and the electronic camber (for pitch of the sidecar), it was all manageable.

Tim

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Are Wings designed for this?:shrug:, and what does the manual say about it? ducbob, can you weigh in on this please?
What a question.... of course they are not "designed" for this, they arent "designed" for any aftermarket modification. They aren't designed to be trikes, pull a trailer, or use car tires, for that matter... Honda's not going to "approve" of any aftermarket design change, the manual is certainly not going to say anything about it other than you shouldn't do it.

That being said, most bikes are not designed to be a trike, pull a trailer, or be a side car bike, yet, it is done. Appears to be relatively safe, but you clearly have to understand the dynamics are changed once you add the sidecar... it's no longer a motorcycle, per se. How you brake, and steer, are completely different.

Interesting the side car as survived after all these years. Appears from pictures that it was invented to be able to carry a passenger on a bike, well before bikes were designed to carry more than one person, one behind the other.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Not true for most "Normal" one person Sidecars on the GL1800!

With the GL1800's reduced Trail, 4" or so" from previous Wings that had 6"+ and most Road going barges that have 6" -> 7" it will handle just fine if it is set up correctly and has TILT or 'Lectric Lean on the fly camber adjuster.

On the other hand if you put an extra heavy Hack on the side like a 2+2, that is a chair that can carry 2 people with 2 on the bike, you may need to add a little Trail Reduction of an inch or two to help.

Along these same lines some folks that have physical problems that limit their upper body strength may also need a Trail Reduction simply because they don't have the needed strength anymore.

I prefer to leave mine stock because the Chair comes off at times and it remains safe in 2-Wheel mode and I still have full upper body strength with no physical limitations. ;)

Points of Referance:
Most Road Sofas have 6" to 7" of Trail.
The GL1800 has aprox 4" of Trail in line with the heavy Sport Bikes.
Long Trail = Heavy Steering with Sidecars and Trikes thus the large number of "Rake Kits" on the market for them.

Short Trail can cause severe Over-Steer and related handeling problems at speed if taken to the extreme on Hack Rigs and will require Steering Dampers to correct -- much like those used on Very Short Trail Sport Bikes that are unsafe at speed without them.

If you must add a Trail Reduction kit to a GL1800 rig consider an "Active Damper" like those on Sport Bikes or at the least one of the old fashoned Dampers like those on early VW's. Champion offers a Damper that is adapted from a light truck application that is rather clunky but does work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts