GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a sturdy bike cover that can be removed daily if necessary the dowco :x should only be used for long term inside storage as the lower heat shield seperates from the rest in about 6mo. Bike is outside no garage in this 1924 house.
Thanking someone in advance,
Mark

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Mark - I think your best best is to get a half cover that is light weight and you can carry it with you easily when not used and not have it take much precious trunk room. There are a number of good ones on the market. I've had the $39.95 UltraGard Half cover for the past 19 months and use it daily for work or day trips and when traveling. It looks as good today as it did when I bought it, and I had figured for less the $40. I could replace it after a year.
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/product.asp?pid=951&str=4&ID=29882542

If you want a good full cover consider the Nelson-Rigg Falcon Defender 2000. It's a heavier more substantial cover for more long term type situations or when you want and need a complete cover, but not practical to take along for trips and day to day use. Mine gets little use since the UltraGard is so easy and convenient.
http://www.nelsonrigg.com/covers.htm

Dalec

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have not used or seen the two I am about to sugest. Hal sells one called the Cyclevault. There is a lined and a unlined version. Then I have seen on the internet a thing called the Hog Cabin. It is at www.hogcabin.com Did not check the price. You could probably build a garage for the price of the cabin. It looks interetsing if your storage area is small but yet you want it to be secure.

G

·
0 Posts
Have you contacted Dowco about the separation? I have found that they stand behind their product, and will readily replace defective or torn covers. Good company, in my experience.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have been using the EZ Touring half cover for traveling for years. Mine is currently 7 years old and still in good shape. Last year I bought their full cover for the garage and it too, is top notch quality. Check 'em out at: http://www.inb.net/eztouring/

JB

·
Registered
116 Posts
Cover

Mark, I've been using the UltraGuard full cover for some time. It's a ripstop nylon, light in weight and water resistant. I can't say waterproof because a water mist will seep through in heavy rain as the cover ages. It packs into a reasonable package for trunk or saddlebag storage. Piper

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cover

Mark, if you're looking for something small and convenient there is a cover sold by several vendors at different GWRRA rally's that rolls up into a size that will fit into the small pocket on the arm rest in the passenger backrest. They cost about 40 bucks, mine is the same one I used for my 1500 and I've had it for about 10 years. It keeps the sun off the bike in the summer and keeps dew off overnight but if it really rains it's not too much help but what the heck, the bike is made to be ridden in the rain. LOL. I figure if it doesn't hit directly on the radio etc., then it's doing it's job. Good luck finding something.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Mark, here's something you might consider. It's expensive, but well worth the money. It's called the Bike Barn. http://www.thebikebarn.net/
This is what I use in my carport. It's easy to get your bike in and out of. The main reason I started using this is that cats can't get under it to use your bike as a bed. I had cat's all over my bike till I started using this.

Just a thought. I have the Tourer model:

B

·
0 Posts
Breatheable Full Cover

Neosho Fiberglass 800-641-4647 makes a cover from a breathable, laminated fabric that has similar performance characteristics to Goretex. The most important thing for a full cover is for it to be vented or breathable. I think the fabric that Neosho uses is trademarked "Evolution" from Kimberly-Clark. They may also use Noah fabric. You can read about these at www.block-it.com. Neosho charged me $119 plus shipping. Make sure you know what fabric you are getting and what the characteristics are. I am well-satisified with mine. Be careful to launder it strictly by the directions. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bike cover

I like that bike barn drive in, flip the cover over, but what keeps the wind from moving it around?

Thanks for the help,
Mark

·
Registered
837 Posts
Mark, there is a plate that runs from one side to the other which hangs over the bottom bars, that you place your front wheel on. That hold's it down while the bike is inside. Mine don't get much wind in the carport so it's not much problem. Out in the open, you'd have to come up with some sort of anchoring system for when the bike is out. Maybe some hooks or clamps with masonery bolts or something like that. Seems like it mentioned something about it in the instructions but I can't remember now. It's been a couple years since I got mine. I love it. It's much easier and nicer than a throw on cover.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BIKE COVER

Thanks for all the info I purchased a small half cover to carry on the bike,
sent two dowco cover back for replacement one less than 1- year, the other less than 2-years.

As soon as I pour a concrete slab the bike barn seams to be a good setup.

Thanks again,
Mark

·
Registered
126 Posts
Don't miss checking out the Cycle Shell. Similar to the Bike Barn but it has a floor and is able to be secured to the ground. Size to fit the 1800 is around $478.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts