GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Never will, I ride respectfully and obey all traffic laws 100% by the book. :LOL:

Seriously, I hate radar detectors......as mentioned common sense works better.
False alarms all the time so you end up ignoring it anyways. Plus a lot of the time, by the time it picks up the signal you're already busted.
Cop finds out you have a radar detector you're immediately given a ticket......no leeway then.
No thanks.....

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
what is a non dedicated radar detector? I was pulled over for speeding just this summer in my truck. I was talking with my wife and didn't realize the speed I was traveling. I was told that now a days that written warmings are now put into the system. Not for increase of surcharges but so that they can keep track of how often you are really pulled over. I was told that my last ticket was back in 1998. I have been pulled over at least once a year but I get away with warnings. Some written, mostly verbal

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have seen a few on HD's around here. I'm fairly close to the dealer so I see a lot of Harley riders in the area. I would guess less than 5% have a detector (at least in sight). There was an article about a year ago that said LEO's were more likely to give a citation if you had a detector and got caught. Don't remember if it was written by an LEO or someone else.

A rule that has worked for me is to never be the fastest vehicle.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
On two wheels?

Absolutely! Tens of thousands of miles later, zero tickets.

Of course, as a person that worked on military radar systems, I'm well aware of their strengths - and weaknesses.

Now, ask that same question when it comes to laser detectors. Those are simply "incoming performance award" announcers!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I don’t any more but a lot of the beemer guys I ride with still use them. With speed limits on the slab at 75 and leniency up to 8 or 9 over that, I can stay within that.

I do think they are worthwhile for Barney Fife type speed traps as you roll through small rural towns…..

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I was working at a restaurant while in college. Every Friday and Saturday night we had to have a police detail. I got to know some of them very well. They used to tell me, 8 is great, 9 your mine. I try to stay at or below 10 over the speed limit when no one else around, or keep up with traffic in the high speed lane. The last LEO that pulled me over said he did because he saw I was gaining on the people half mile ahead of me. I honestly didn't know how fast I was driving. Never been pulled over while on the bike

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
On two wheels?

Absolutely! Tens of thousands of miles later, zero tickets.

Of course, as a person that worked on military radar systems, I'm well aware of their strengths - and weaknesses.

Now, ask that same question when it comes to laser detectors. Those are simply "incoming performance award" announcers!
Yep, line if sight tech all the way. Best to just stay observant and watch your surroundings. Always use your mirrors as they like sneaking up on you. And don't forget to look in the air occasionally too. Cops can be sneaky, you just gotta know their tactics.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
<...>I honestly didn't know how fast I was driving. Never been pulled over while on the bike
The last time I got popped by radar, I was finished running naked - never again.

The time before that one, it was a moving violation. Just happened to catch the Sgt. that had a trainee trooper in the car. Took that one, and thought a little better about that specific violation. I still do it, just a bit more cognizant when I do.
Yep, line if sight tech all the way. Best to just stay observant and watch your surroundings. Always use your mirrors as they like sneaking up on you. And don't forget to look in the air occasionally too. Cops can be sneaky, you just gotta know their tactics.
Yet, this is about detectors, and the sneaky OM's that use them effectively.

Much newer hardware out within the last few years that diminishes false alerts by a significant percentage. Thing is, now they are software upgradeable, just like your cell phone and your Bluetooth headsets. A lot of capability has been refined since I've had my detector.

In fact, mine is hidden. I can't see it; don't need to see it when you can hear it.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Of course I do. It is an excellent warning device. It provides information of the fact that my speed is being tracked by something (you know a car, truck, speed camera, etc.).

As such it provides a warning that gives me a chance to check my speed when the alarm sounds to verify I am not exceeding the speed limit

It is especially useful in those small townships that have "speed traps". There was one I use to encounter of each trip to Myrtle Beach. It was my understanding that if you were going over the identified speed limit, (even just 1 mph) you would be stopped and ticketed. You would then have the option of paying the fine on the spot ($200) or taking your case to court and the possibility of points added to your D.L. and a fine.

Now, I ride, depending on the roadways and circumstances, just over the speed limit. Generally 60 in a 55 MPH zone. I have a GPS that gives me true speed but my Wing's speedo is right on so.... its a back up.

My radar detector is designed for motorcycles. It is an Adaptive model. (see link below).

I purchased my first detector to use on my 2003 Valkyrie when I was passing a car that was doing 45 in a 55 zone and I had to do it quickly due to road conditions. I exceeded the 55 (probably 70) for about 50 yards, maybe less, and was pulling back into my lane and slowing down when a Highway Patrol car appeared on the road in front and "tagged" me.

That was 2004 or 2005. It has been with me every since. It is a handy item to warn you of the fact that you are being painted. The only drawback is that some of the current "collision warning things" do set it off.

No I don't use it in the car.

Adaptiv Radar Detector

1 - 20 of 118 Posts