GL1800Riders Forums banner
41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
<...> and also have equipment that can detect your equipment. Might be the difference between a ticket and a warning.
Let me dispel this 'fact' with some legitimate knowledge.

The brand name of the instrument is Spectre; the Elite model is the most current. The device is used predominately in the Commonwealth of Virginia, the state of Mississippi as well as the District of Columbia.

Due to advancements in manufacturing of many (read: not cheap!) of radar/laser detectors these days, some models are simply undetectable beyond a distance of a few inches, making them immune in real-world situations.

It you really want to head down a path to knowledge and understanding, there is a forum dedicated to all things in this realm - r d f o r u m (dot) org.

As mentioned earlier, the device is simply a tool in the toolbox. There's no need for the tool to be visible for it to work sufficiently well enough to alert when necessary.

·
Registered
07 Air Bag
4,333 Posts
Let me dispel this 'fact' with some legitimate knowledge.

The brand name of the instrument is Spectre; the Elite model is the most current. The device is used predominately in the Commonwealth of Virginia, the state of Mississippi as well as the District of Columbia.

Due to advancements in manufacturing of many (read: not cheap!) of radar/laser detectors these days, some models are simply undetectable beyond a distance of a few inches, making them immune in real-world situations.

It you really want to head down a path to knowledge and understanding, there is a forum dedicated to all things in this realm - r d f o r u m (dot) org.

As mentioned earlier, the device is simply a tool in the toolbox. There's no need for the tool to be visible for it to work sufficiently well enough to alert when necessary.
That thing is NASTY! (unfair)

·
Registered
595 Posts
I had radar detectors when I was in high school...woulda been 24 years ago. I stopped usin' em. Never really reliable, and I was going to speed regardless. If you get pulled over and johnny law sees your radar detector, he knows youre a habitual offender and you're more likely to get a ticket. By the time your detector goes off, he's already got you. I think common sense, rolling with traffic, watching stop lights at common choke points, and using waze are all better solutions. Nowadays, I speed, duh, I have 100-130 HP between my legs...but I just smile nod, and be polite to Mr. Policeman. Haven't gotten tickets on the last 3 stops, though prior to that, I was ticketed pretty heavily. Thank god for state farm. Once they write your policy, it never goes up. They dont have the tech or the manpower to redo policies when a ticket hits. Progressive, geico, nationwide, they all spent lots of money on the tech to automatically update your policy rate when a ticket gets on your record.

·
Registered
2018 GL1800 6sp
468 Posts
Illegal in Ontario (and most of Canada I believe) and I keep it about 9 over.. which isnt really 9 on the motorcycle anyway, so I'm pretty sure they will pull me over last. They have better things to do than pull over a GL1800 rider doing 9 km/h over

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've been using a Valentine One for over 20 years and over 200,000 miles in all my cars and some of my motorcycles. I can say that I've probably avoided over 100 tickets in that time, but I have gotten 2 tickets while using it because I accidentally had the volume turned all the way down. So that was user error and not the detectors fault.

I recently used it over the last 8 days traveling to Colorado and back to Chicago, and it definitely notified me at least 6 times. Of course, nothing is fool-proof, so I also use it in conjunction with Google Maps (speed traps) and more importantly, my own eyes. As a rider, I'm constantly scanning the horizon for all sorts of hazards, including the fuzz.

Here's a photo where you can see my Valentine One mounted on top of the dash. The photo was taken on my journey to Colorado. Don't mind all the Nebraska insect carnage on the windshield.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Gl1800 ABS/NAV/Comfort
205 Posts
I have been running a Valentine One since 2015 and do not like running without it. It is always displayed above the brake reservoir whether I'm riding the GL1800 or KTM 1290SA. If it's raining I stop and stretch a balloon over it and keep going, kinda like a condom. I think everyone that runs a detector realizes that it is not 100% effective.

Some common themes in this thread is to many false alarms, not reliable, if your caught with one more likely to get a ticket, if it goes off it's to late you already caught, false sense of security, people that use detectors probably get more tickets, etc.etc.etc.

I find these themes or comments not to be very valid with my experience's. My opinion and not trying to stir the pot.

There will always be the differing opinions whether it's this subject, an oil thread , a darkside thread, or to use or not to use a swivel coupler on your trailer. I will not speculate how many tickets I've avoided by running a detector, but I can say is I have not received a ticket while using the Valentine One. I have 101500 miles on the 2015 GL1800, had 53000 miles on a 2015 KTM 1290SA and 3500 miles on my new 2022 KTM 1290SA. I don't run a detector because I'm always within the posted limit, I run a detector because very seldom within the posted limit.

Here is a warning ticket I received back in 2016, yes I was running the Valentine One, yes I got a picture with the officer holding my Valentine One, he agreed to have his picture taken holding my radar detector. A novelty pic for me!
The radar detector did not fail me in this instance, I did. There is a story behind my offense and no need to share. Other than this Officer seen my detector and made note of it during my stop and made no big deal about it. He doesn't look very mad.

Sorry for veering off target of OP question, But yes I use a radar detector, every day.

Font Publication Music Number Paper

Glasses Smile Plant Vision care Goggles

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Yup I have one in my Pick Up. Never on my bike would not be able to hear it..

Reactions: WingStuff

·
Vendor
23,078 Posts
I had radar detectors when I was in high school...woulda been 24 years ago. I stopped usin' em. Never really reliable
Radar detectors have changed a lot since you were in high school.

I think the new Uniden R4 is about the best on the market right now. Unbelievable Ka band range and off axis detection, with auto-lockouts, and very good BSM filtering.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Radar detectors have changed a lot since you were in high school.

I think the new Uniden R4 is about the best on the market right now.

Unbelievable Ka band range and off axis detection, with auto-lockouts, and very good BSM filtering.
Fred, we speak English here...... 😊

My interpretation...........The Uniden R4 is a damn' good radar detector. 👍

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Back in the mid 90's, I worked near the airport north of KC, but lived 100 miles south. Every Friday afternoon I would take my Accord and literally zoom home (lived in an apartment during the week), using a radar detector. I can't count how many times it warned me of officers cruising towards me while hitting their instant-on speed detection devices, but they were checking traffic that was still in front of me.
One Friday afternoon, I had already exited I-435 and proceeded southbound on US 69 and was somewhere south of Olathe, KS when my detector went off. The officer that wrote me the ticket saw the detector on my dash and made a spectacle of telling me all about his fancy 'instant on' radar equipment and how it easily beat my poor radar detector. I silently signed that ticket, and received my copy alongside his instructions for paying it, AND another snide comment about my radar detector, before informing him that it was indeed all my fault, but that my detector had performed spectacularly. I told him I had run out of traffic in front of me that would have warned of his presence on the hwy, and that I'd forgotten that I was still on cruise control SET AT 85MPH, AND HAD JUST SIGNED HIS SPEEDING TKT FOR DOING 61MPH IN THE 55MPH ZONE. I simply wasn't fast enough on the brakes because I was focused on getting home for the weekend.

I still use detectors in my car, truck and even my 2009 Vmax. The detector on the Vmax was listened to intently just this past weekend (blue toothed to my headset) while enjoying a three day ride in & around the Tail of the Dragon area of TN.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Obviously opinions are opinions, but sometimes they lack common sense. Let's just say that if you were 20 years younger, and your reflexes were as sharp as ever, do you really think that your reaction time beats the speed of sound, or light? Last I checked, the speed of light was 299,792,458 m/s or, 186,000 miles per second. Laser works on the premise that a beam of light is activated, bounces off of a target, and is received back at the source a variety of times and calculated to the speed that you are going. Radar is the same, but works at the speed of sound, incidentally that is about 767 miles per hour. At 767 mph, or approx 1124 feet per second, that radar echo can ping you, and back over 3 times in 3 seconds at 500 feet, not calculating the decreasing inbound distance. Not even considering the delay that the detector takes to process the radar signal, and alert you......you're telling me, that while doing 80mph, riding a motorcycle, accounting for all sorts of other 3rd party distractions, that your reflexes are so sharp to respond to your radar detector that you can stomp on the brakes, before that radar or laser gun has your speed? That's.................impressive.

I think that radar detectors can be useful for things like roving radar. While a cruiser is rolling down the road running moving radar catching people that are coming opposite of him. Sure, he doesnt have a sure lock on anything, he doesn't know who is doing what speed unless you're the only one out there. He also doesn't turn it off. So there is just radar going everywhere and that detector can see that. Any sort of stationary unit, let's not mince words, has got you when he pulls the trigger. I guarantee you that your reflexes, and that little toy aren't nearly as fast as the technology that he holds in his hand.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Obviously opinions are opinions, but sometimes they lack common sense. Let's just say that if you were 20 years younger, and your reflexes were as sharp as ever, do you really think that your reaction time beats the speed of sound, or light? Last I checked, the speed of light was 299,792,458 m/s or, 186,000 miles per second. Laser works on the premise that a beam of light is activated, bounces off of a target, and is received back at the source a variety of times and calculated to the speed that you are going. Radar is the same, but works at the speed of sound, incidentally that is about 767 miles per hour. At 767 mph, or approx 1124 feet per second, that radar echo can ping you, and back over 3 times in 3 seconds at 500 feet, not calculating the decreasing inbound distance. Not even considering the delay that the detector takes to process the radar signal, and alert you......you're telling me, that while doing 80mph, riding a motorcycle, accounting for all sorts of other 3rd party distractions, that your reflexes are so sharp to respond to your radar detector that you can stomp on the brakes, before that radar or laser gun has your speed? That's.................impressive.

I think that radar detectors can be useful for things like roving radar. While a cruiser is rolling down the road running moving radar catching people that are coming opposite of him. Sure, he doesnt have a sure lock on anything, he doesn't know who is doing what speed unless you're the only one out there. He also doesn't turn it off. So there is just radar going everywhere and that detector can see that. Any sort of stationary unit, let's not mince words, has got you when he pulls the trigger. I guarantee you that your reflexes, and that little toy aren't nearly as fast as the technology that he holds in his hand.
My (very limited) understanding of radar technology is if a stationary radar unit is bouncing a burst of waves off a vehicle ahead of you, say at the 2,000-2,200 ft range, a distance the top performers are capable of detection, and you’re say 1,000 ft behind the target vehicle, then your detector can pick up stray waves aimed at the lead car and alert you there is radar ahead.

If this is correct, the a radar detector can certainly serves a useful purpose.

Tim

·
Registered
595 Posts
My (very limited) understanding of radar technology is if a stationary radar unit is bouncing a burst of waves off a vehicle ahead of you, say at the 2,000-2,200 ft range, a distance the top performers are capable of detection, and you’re say 1,000 ft behind the target vehicle, then your detector can pick up stray waves aimed at the lead car and alert you there is radar ahead.

If this is correct, the a radar detector can certainly serves a useful purpose.

Tim
Yeah, thats another indirect use case that makes total sense...but one on one, you versus the five-oh, my statement stands. Earlier units too also used to 'leak' RF, and that was another detectable event that you knew the fuzz was near by.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Sure do, Uniden R7, and will by the R8 before long, I'm not even a speed demon I just like knowing when I'm being monitored, and it provides entertainment in the wide open streches here in the west.

41 - 60 of 118 Posts