GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in El Campo Tx at a Honda dealer and overheard a mechanic talking to a customer getting tires on his wing. The customer said be sure to balance them and put on new valve stems. The mechanic said we balance the front but not the back. HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS????

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I know if I were that customer I would have said "give me back my bike and I will be going somewhere else from now on".

Answer to the question: No...

Just a thought here. Maybe the dealer in question does not have the correct adapters to balance the rear wheel and does not want to admit it. I would like to know why they do not balance the rear tire myself.

Ross

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 2005 had weights on the rear and front tires from the factory so I assume that they were used to balance the tires. I agree, the dealer must not have a way to balance the rear tires so they don't offer the service. Find someone else to do your tire service work.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I picked up my '06 Wing with 2 miles on the odometer. It had balancing weights on the rear wheel.

I don't know if it was balanced before or after the tire was mounted. I don't know if Honda balanced it or the wheel supplier or the tire supplier or the local dealer. But, it was balanced when I picked it up brand new.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
A local tire shop, owned by Harley riders, said that don't usually balance rears, even on their own. I asked him to balance mine and he did with no problem. I'd ask your dealer "why?"

F

·
0 Posts
Not balance the rear tire? Huh? I can't imagine why one would not want to make sure that the only two pieces of rubber between you and the road are properly balanced. I just had both tires replaced where I work. When we checked balance, existing weights were left on the wheel where they were from the previous tire. Neither tire needed weight adjustment. Guess the old Stones and New E3s were identical :wink:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
If you do not balance the rear tire, then why even bother with the front ?? :roll:

How can you use the term "mechanic" on a guy who would tell you something like that ?? :?

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
He could have said "Not the rear one" because his balancer does not have the proper adaptor.

Never heard of not balancing a rear wheel.

Dawg

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
KA7W said:
If you do not balance the rear tire, then why even bother with the front ?? :roll:

How can you use the term "mechanic" on a guy who would tell you something like that ?? :?

JMHO 8)
Would that be considered a safety issue? Why wouldn't anyone want to follow the correct procedures to ensure the safest ride possible?

That would be like.. lets see...

putting a Car Tire on a motorcycle!

Sorry.. just couldn't resist! :twisted:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Duh!!

That's like saying we only put air in the front tire, and never put air in the back tire..ever! How stupid can you be?????

Or when we brush our teeth, we only brush the bottom and never the top......run from that guy....!!

All Goldwing tires and wheels come factory balanced......just like every car tire from the factory....

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I use a very honest dealer for my service work, and he will tell you that he does not have the equipment to balance the rear tire on a wing, just the front.

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
never messed with balancing motorcycle tires untill i got an 1800 and never had any trouble

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's a high speed rotating mass folks and therefore should be balanced to
maximize tire wear and minimize vibrations. It could also have an adverse impact on bearing wear. If a dealer tells you they do not balance tires go somewhere else.

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haste Maker said:
I use a very honest dealer for my service work, and he will tell you that he does not have the equipment to balance the rear tire on a wing, just the front.
Alot do this

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:D Just saying that beleive it or not every cycle dealer has equipment to balance rear tires and alot don't unless asked.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
We had to pay $250 just for an additional adaptor for the single swing arm Rear GoldWing wheel !

The Wing, is the only wheel that we use this adaptor on.

Hardly any of the dealers around here, have this set up.

Dawg

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Now Dawg; jest laike you hav'a been tell'n Meesh; cost of equipement ain't no consideration! :wink:

Still, if a dealer is not going to buy a high ticket adapter, he could at least buy or make a static balance stand like many of us have done.

prs

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I just had new tires put on my Wing yesterday. The front has weights on the rim...they didn't put any on the rear rim. What are the chances the rear rim didn't need any weights? I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and see if they even balanced the rear tire. My Wing tends to "drift" left now as well. Nothing real bad, but it didn't do it before. I wonder what B.S. explanation the dealer is going to give me?!

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bulldog said:
We had to pay $250 just for an additional adaptor for the single swing arm Rear GoldWing wheel !

The Wing, is the only wheel that we use this adaptor on.

Hardly any of the dealers around here, have this set up.

Dawg
OK Thanks Bulldog you proved my point. I bet $$$ most dealers do not balance the rear

1 - 20 of 22 Posts