GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just surfing EBAY and seen several "Used Tires" with low mileage. Not that I would personally buy one. Where would the value be ? How do you know how the tire was ridden......or if it was dismounted properly. I could see if the rim and tire was purchased from a trike take off as new and then mounted rim and tire together.
I just can't see the value, but this could be just me.....

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
HondaRider2oo5 said:
Was just surfing EBAY and seen several "Used Tires" with low mileage. Not that I would personally buy one. Where would the value be ? How do you know how the tire was ridden......or if it was dismounted properly. I could see if the rim and tire was purchased from a trike take off as new and then mounted rim and tire together.
1) Not all trikes are built from new bikes with new tires. So, if it was from a trike conversion it might be just fine. :D Or,...

2) It could have been replaced early because it had a wobble. Unfortunately, you won't discover that until you have the tire mounted and check it out for yourself. :(

"Buyer Beware" really fits here!

Personally, I'd wait until Hal has a sale on new tires. :wink:

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Bought a set of used 250's from a board member (thank you Lenny!) who is more brand specific than I am. They had 900 miles on them and are working great for me. EBay....I would not be so anxious. I guess here, we feel alittle more trusting, like we're dealing with friends. For me....I am

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
It is amazing to me the value someone will put on their life. :shock:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Does it make sense to buy a "Used tire
No, not to buy and no even if you pay me. Hey, these tires for our Wings are not that expensive to begin with, and many times a year (like now) they are discounted even more. I want to know exactly what has been done tothe tires I ride on with my motorcycle.

Now, on the other side, since I do all my own tire changing (and balancing). on some occasions if I have a long trip planned where I know my current tires are not 100% for starting that trip, I will remove one or both tires early to use again at a later date for more local day or weekend rides since they still have a good amount of tire tread life left in them, but not enough for the trip I have planned, but I also know the exact history of that tire and the miles they have been ridden. Much different than someone elses "used" tires IMO.

DaleC

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
We dispose good tires. Can't stand the liability issue.

With the cost of mount and balance, I don't get the economics.

Bulldog

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I think Americans waste far too much.... I would not be afraid to buy and ride a used tire .. but I would inspect it first.. but that is my opinion..
riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous... if someone is so concious of their safety.. maybe one should not ride a motorcycle or even a cage..
hundreds are killed & injured each week in vehicle accidents..

cosmic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts