GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, according to THIS STUDY. Protective gear can make a difference.
Conclusions of the Study:

Motorcycle protective clothing is associated with reduced risk and severity of crash related injury and hospitalization, particularly when fitted with body armour. The proportion of clothing items that failed under crash conditions indicates a need for improved quality control. While mandating usage of protective clothing is not recommended, consideration could be given to providing incentives for usage of protective clothing, such as tax exemptions for safety gear, health insurance premium reductions and rebates.​

With so many people facing huge, new deductibles, staying OUT of the ER is more important than ever.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
:thumbup: Sure kept the wife and I from loosing a lot of hide.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Good article, haven't finished it yet, but good information. I know our helmets and jackets saved us in our get off back in 2001. My helmet is still being used in rider education classes as example of why you should wear a helmet.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Using the proper riding gear can certainly reduce the severity of injuries in an accident. But the best protection is to prevent the accident from happening in the first place. Regular rider training can go a long way toward accomplishing this goal. Accidents can never be reduced 100% because you can never control the actions of others. You can control your own actions however and with good rider training and an attitude of lifelong learning, a rider can stack the odds in his or her favor.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
1031122001.jpg

High side at 55mph......thanks to the helmet, I'm still purty,LOL

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
It did for me. Helmet saved obvious head injury. Gloves saved knuckles ground to bone. Armor in boots saved who knows what with my ankle.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
:thumbup: Sure kept the wife and I from loosing a lot of hide.
Same here!
When a lady ran a stop sign in front of my Wife on her VTX my wife went down. She did crack some ribs, but had no head injuries or road rash.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I've had a couple of crashes with cracked ribs in both incidents. Both times the helmet had some bunged places. I can't say for sure it saved my life, but danged sure glad I was wearing it. :bow:

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Sometimes, a study has to be done and published even though the majority know it's just stating the obvious.

But with that said, it still amazing the number of motorcyclists who wear minimal gear and minimal or no head protection.

I don't understand those that wear anything other than a full face helmet, is your face, chin and mouth not worth protecting? Any crash over about 15mph and you have no physical control of how you will land in the vent of a crash. Doing track days, I've seen so many helmets with rashed up chin pieces and visors, my Son included.

I understand that there is a level of comfort offered by half and 3/4 helmets, but we wear helmets, primarily, to protect us in the event of a crash that none of us plan on participating in.

The area where they drop test, right on the dome at the top of a helmet, I've yet to see a helmet damaged or hit in that area, most are on the sides, face and back of the helmet, areas not well protected by many helmets other than full face.

Sorry for the rant, I just hope some of you who make this choice will not take offense to what I have just said, but will reevaluate the aspects of the extra safety provided to critical areas by a full face helmet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
There's usually some comment made by at least one of the guy's I ride with, about "Are you going to the track, or hey its a power ranger" type statement, all in fun though.. That stopped when one of them went down at 35MPH and received some major road rash, not life threatening, just a lot of pain and nastiness. Then the real injury occurred, he got the medical bill. I reminded him that the cost of my gear was way less that his bill, even including what the insurance covered. Some of them listened some didn't, that's their decision.

For me, YES it has saved my hide. Low side at 45mph on my 07 ST1300, that I went through the windshield. Only got a bruise on my stomach and upper right thigh where it hit the hand bars. Road the bike back 85 Miles to the dealer for an estimate. Yes it was totaled, long story short, I bought it from the insurance and rebuilt and reinspected ( made legal again) .

Only the rider can make their own mind on whether to use gear or not, but they are also responsible of the results whether good or bad.

ATGATT .. Ride Safe..

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The gear we wear also shows a mental attitude towards riding safety. Most of the people I know that wear all the gear show the safety attitude in their riding. They also are the ones more willing to learn and train. The tee shirt crowd does not seem to be as concerned about improving their own safety, in gear or training.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
My friend suffered an horrendous crash while were out riding on our sports bikes. I did not see the crash, circumstances split us up on the road. This was before the days of decent sized carry able sized cell phones.

He hit a GMC 3500 pickup truck head on in the left headlight. He smashed his head face down into the left front quarter panel.

I found out about his crash when his wife called me to inform me that he had been flown to John Hopkins Baltimore Shock Trauma.

I was not able to visit him as I am not immediate family, although a couple of days after the accident I just went to the hospital. The nurse did let me in to see him. He was laid on a bed, wearing just a diaper. His head was the size of a pumpkin, his skin was so tight it looked like a pin would have made his head pop like a ballon. He had several broken bones, but they hadn't bothered to set them as they were just concerned about his head injury and survival. He had his left eye sewn shut as the swelling would have pushed his eye out of the socket, this later lead to a cornea transplant as the stitches messed his eye up.

He was in Shock Trauma for 30 days, had two head surgeries, one to reduced the swelling and the other to remove some damaged brain behind his eye.

He then spent the next three months at Walter Reed rehab.

He suffers from short term memory loss to this day.

I picked up his bike and riding gear, he was actually wearing my Aerostich suit and his own Arai helmet. The helmet was crushed and the shell spit in the forehead area where he had hit the truck.

I have no doubt that his Arai saved his life. His hospital bill was $431,000 back in '97.

·
Registered
898 Posts
They actually paid somebody for this. They could have given me the money and I would have told them the same thing. Seems pretty self evident that protective clothing will lessen motorcycle injuries. :)

Yes, according to THIS STUDY. Protective gear can make a difference.
Conclusions of the Study:

Motorcycle protective clothing is associated with reduced risk and severity of crash related injury and hospitalization, particularly when fitted with body armour. The proportion of clothing items that failed under crash conditions indicates a need for improved quality control. While mandating usage of protective clothing is not recommended, consideration could be given to providing incentives for usage of protective clothing, such as tax exemptions for safety gear, health insurance premium reductions and rebates.​

With so many people facing huge, new deductibles, staying OUT of the ER is more important than ever.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
The gear we wear also shows a mental attitude towards riding safety. Most of the people I know that wear all the gear show the safety attitude in their riding. They also are the ones more willing to learn and train. The tee shirt crowd does not seem to be as concerned about improving their own safety, in gear or training.

Sad but true....

I have an occasional riding partner.....doo rag and t-shirt crowd.

No matter the temps (provided it is above 75) he will wear nothing more than a sleeveless t-shirt....heat stroke be damned.

The guy can't ride a turn with a ****. But in his mind, he has been riding for 40+ years, and there is nothing more he could be taught.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The less obvious results where that 38% of the time the gear fell apart or failed in the crash and that the armor really helped, oh and that gear, even back protectors, don't protect against busted ribs.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
this is a no brainer! you CAN get killed with even the best gear on, but your chances of survival go up a lot with good gear on.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
It did for me. Went headfirst into a concrete wall...suffered a concussion, helmet cracked and replaced. Bruises on every joint but no road rash...jacket wasn't destroyed but out of use, pants had abrasion on the knees, still in use, boot had a significant rub on the toe...replaced.

·
Registered
957 Posts
It did for me. Went headfirst into a concrete wall...suffered a concussion, helmet cracked and replaced. Bruises on every joint but no road rash...jacket wasn't destroyed but out of use, pants had abrasion on the knees, still in use, boot had a significant rub on the toe...replaced.

It doesn't have to be a collision either. The fellow that teaches (owns) the MSF course here has a helmet he was wearing when hit by a rock that came from who knows where. If it weren't for his helmet, he'd no doubt have been killed. Darn, I've had hard shelled bugs hit me that were enough to make me thankful I was wearing mine.

·
Registered
931 Posts

I have long thought Ed's observation to be true -- most folks wearing ATGATT tend to be better, "safer," more aware riders. The best piece of safety gear is between your ears. But just in case you get run over by a kamakazie deer, it's nice to have some back up protection to help stack the odds a little more in your favor.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts