GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I changed my front tire it was obvious, there was a small hole and the tread was near the wear marks.
My rear tire though, at 18,500 seams to have more life to it. What is the best way to check a tire in order to determine if it is time to replace? Should I buy some sort of gage?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Most of the Wing tires have a wear bar, Generally it's a good idea to change at the wear bars of just before..

How did you get 18K out of a rear tire ??? The best I have gotten is 12k on a E3 but it could be heard for a mile :lol: Most of the other brands only get me 6 to 8K ...

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Best bet - if you are uncomfortable with the what you see when you look under the back fender, change the tire.
If you see cords showing or stuff sticking out the rubber, change the tire.
If you keep loosing air pressure down to where you can feel the ride deteriorate, change the tire.

If you see scalloping on the sides, if it is starting to howl in the corners, keep an eye on it.

But with that kind of mileage, I would say you are getting close, but thats your call and your comfort level.
I never got more than 14000, and I change in pairs.

Roadgear - http://www.roadgear.com/catalog/detail.cfm?Prod_ID=196 - has a nifty digital tire guage that has a tread wear indicator built in that I use. But nothing replaces the Mark I eyeball.

Tom, you would get more mileage if you quit looking under the fender... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
IR Harry said:
If you see cords showing or stuff sticking out the rubber, change the tire.
Do the cords need to be showing all the way around or just in spots???

On car tires, I've noticed when they wear down a ways, little steel threads stick out the sides. I assume these are to increase traction to make up for the worn out tread...

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
At the wear bars or as soon as you feel UN-SAFE!

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I usually get around 16 to 18K miles out of my tires.. (D-250's) .. my first set on my 05 I picked up a screw and it went in and came out the sidewall
so i installed a new D-250.. hopefully this one will go more than 11K miles

cosmic

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Hey Dan,
Get down on your hands and knees and have a really close look.. If you spin the wheel, you'll see an arrow on the sidewall that'll point to where the wearbars should be on the tread.. As others said, at 18k you're ready dude!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just changed out my 250s front and back at 10000

good wear pattern, front had a little more life in it. Rear could have went maybe another 1k but why push it :shock: Moisture and worrrrre out tires just don't mix. What's in your wallet, I mean life! :wink:

·
Registered
108 Posts
tomfranken said:
[Do the cords need to be showing all the way around or just in spots???

On car tires, I've noticed when they wear down a ways, little steel threads stick out the sides. I assume these are to increase traction to make up for the worn out tread...
I hope you're kidding....

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
That's awesome,,,18,000 plus on a rear tire,,I would love to get that...I usually get more mileage out of a front tire,,12,000-18,000...and about 10,000-14,000 out of my rears....I currently have 10,000 on my Metzeler 880 front tire and it looks great ,,,I have a new tire on the rear due to a nail,,,SO I am hoping that they both wear out together so I can get back on a time frame for tires..........ride safe......Henry

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I just removed an E3 rear with 18,000 miles on it and it was worn to the wear bars. That's thin enough for me. With no flats or other problems, I was happy with the service of the E3, except for that damn howling over the last 5000 miles.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is still tread on my rear tire, that is what has got me thinking. I am not real hard on my tires, I like a beautiful curvy road but I have yet to drag my foot pegs.
I feel that the tires are still safe and I have no problem putting a few more miles on them, but was thinking of a more exact way of checking the tires.
Thanks for all your relies

·
Registered
43 Posts
When to change

Just look at it and ask yourself, "Would I want to ride this tire in the rain"?
If the answer is no, change it. That's why I have never gotten 16-18000 miles our of any tire 1500 or 1800. Certainly nothing below 2/32nd.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
t-bear said:
There is still tread on my rear tire, that is what has got me thinking. I am not real hard on my tires, I like a beautiful curvy road but I have yet to drag my foot pegs.
I feel that the tires are still safe and I have no problem putting a few more miles on them, but was thinking of a more exact way of checking the tires.
Thanks for all your relies
Be careful T-Bear! There can be LOTS of tread left on a worn-out tire! Depends upon where that tread is. Sounds like you may still have the mold release "nibs" on the outer edges of "your chicken strips", but what does the center area of the tire look like? Is it a Bald Eagle in the center? Is the center worn flat instead of the original rounder shape? Your tire has wear bars at various loations around and across teh tread. If you wear down to one in the center, but the outer ones are still pristine, that tire is still worn-out! BEWARE! Once you get close to the wear bars, the end is very near - that last bit of "good" tread erases remarkably fast!

Then, we have new tire euphoria. It is wonderful to get new shoes on the bike! It rides sooooooooo good for the first few thousand miles that I have tongue in cheek thretened to replace tires every 5 tousand miles regardless of wear .......... nahhhhhhhhh!

prs

·
Registered
652 Posts
T-Bear, I had a set of Dunlop D250 that were no where near the wear bars on the tread area but the sides were completely shot. The manufacturers are always experimenting on these tires. I'm told that the tread area has a more abrasive resistant compound than the rounded edge. The edge has a softer compound for more stickiness but it will wear faster than the tread if you ride a lot of twisties. So don't just look at the wear bars. In my experience if you get 12,000 miles, count your lucky stars and order some new tires.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What causes that howling in the turns? I have 13G on my E3's and they still have plenty of tread but they are really noisey.
Mark

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
markk said:
What causes that howling in the turns? I have 13G on my E3's and they still have plenty of tread but they are really noisey.
Mark
The rear E3s need to have the air pressure checked often.(every ride) I am using Bridgestones now but just changed from E3s that the rear sang and did cup. Check for cupping. Check air pressure I like 42R,41F. I used to do 40 and 40 with the E3s, the rear cupped,the front E3s did not.. I think the higher pressure helps prevent cupping. Also the E3s do sing after 4-8K.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Dunslip was sort of a copy cat from Avon regarding the directional tread pattern on the E-3s. Avons develope the roar or howl too. Laen is correct about the too low of a pressure exaserbating that noise, but mine eventually scallop and roar even with 43# if I ride the super slab too much. It sounds like the front tire, but on mine its the rear and the sound is just reflecting back to me off the wind screen. But, a good day of spirited riding in the twisties with lots of leaning and full throtte acceleration plus engine braking seems to scrub them back down to where the howl is subdued again. I don't know if Dunnie 250's roar or not, but I did not get any roar with B'stones that I recall. I have been told told that Metzelers may be the most roar prone, but have not tried them yet.

prs

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have 18,000 miles on my E-3,no need to change a good tire.Pressure is the key to good milage on these tires.The grooves only let water out.If the tire is good and not to the wear bars why not use it ? I have a new E-3 to go on when my current tire wears out.

F

·
0 Posts
I just changed out a set of Bridgestone 709 front and 704 rear to E3s. The front was probably about 1/2 tread and the rear was past the wear bars at about 10K. The rear was very badly cupped and sung on the curves, but I never lost faith in the traction at any time. Of course, I was not riding recently on any wet roads with the rear in that condition. We'll see how the E3s compare. The stock D250s were crap and wore out at 7K. I check my tire pressure about once a week and rarely needed to add, so tire pressure vs wear was not at issue with either tire. I accellerate fast and brake hard. That's why my tires may wear out prematurely. :wink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts