GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this new to me 2014 F6B a few days ago and soon after leaving the seller's house I encountered a small roundabout, I went into at what I thought was a reasonable speed but soon found the side of my left boot scraping the asphalt!

This kind of freaked me out and out of reflex I brought the bike into less of a lean angle which sent me more towards the outside curb in this roundabout. I thought wow, are these bikes not more nimble than this? But maybe I just had my foot too far away from the centre of the bike, I'm not sure since it all happened too fast. Maybe if my foot would have been tucked in more the peg would have made contact but I'm not sure.

The next time I encounter a small roundabout I will be more careful, go into it slower and make a wider turn, perhaps this will help.

But I was curious to know if the F6B has less ground clearance in turns than a regular GW?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been on a Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic for the last 12 years.

I think that I might have to adjust my riding style, I read somewhere that shifting your butt over to the inside of a turn helps to lessen lean angle.

This bike is brand new to me so I will have to get used to it. The line that I chose going into that small roundabout was probably not that great.

I suspect that it was operator error more than a problem with the bike's available lean angle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-g...83027-slow-speed-control-tighter-turning.html

I have been practicing the tight turning technique discussed in the above thread. It shocked me how far the F6B leans before dragging pegs.

I discovered rather quickly that I have a bad habit of resting my right foot at an angle, thus causing the boot's outer sole edge to touch down to pavement first. Luckily, I was wearing my sport-bike boots with titanium sliders, so no grabbing or harm was done, except the right side slider is a bit thinner. Maybe you have a similar circumstance going on?

I can't offer any comparison to a regular wing's lean angle.

·
Registered
494 Posts
But I was curious to know if the F6B has less ground clearance in turns than a regular GW?
I would think that it has more clearance if any difference. The F6b is lighter, so it can sit higher.

You might try turning up your rear shock setting to get more ground clearance.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think that it has more clearance if any difference. The F6b is lighter, so it can sit higher.

You might try turning up your rear shock setting to get more ground clearance.
Thanks for that.

But I'll first have to figure out how to adjust that rear shock! LOL

Boy I have got a lot to learn!

·
Registered
8,044 Posts
Reactions: 98valk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Humbucker, I do the same thing. Also coming from Vulcan motorcycles with the replaceable acorn nuts on the boards mainly intact ?
I'm going to have to learn how to tuck my feet in more.
As it is, Im nowhere near the GW lean max when feet contact the road.
Randy

·
Registered
466 Posts
It’s interesting how we may be different in our approach to riding.

I had a Kawasaki Vaquero and struggled at first figuring out how to keep from catching my foot in some turns.

I think you’re right to look at every new (to you) bike as a puzzle to be worked.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Coming from a Honda CB919 (Hornet) I scraped the pegs pretty early on after picking up my F6b. With an adjustment in your riding style, I don’t think you’ll have any problems. The further your body leans into a turn, the less your bike has to lean. The principal used by sportbike / superbike racing. Watch a little MotoGP and you’ll see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts