GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "boss" has (sort of) given the OK for me to get a GPS. Money is short and I dont have a need to use a GPS for anything except mapping. That is to say I am not interested in using it for music.
I have found a refurbished Garmin 2610 for $350.00 but I need to know if it covers Canada as well as the USA.
If it doesnt, how does the Tom-Tom work for my 1800?
I found one of those for $350.00 as well and it does cover Canada.
Of the two, which would be my best choice and are there mounts out there for getting a Tom-Tom mounted on my Wing?

·
Registered
311 Posts
The 2610 does not have built in detailed maps, but if you use a 2GB CF
card you can fit all of North America including Canada on the card. If I remember correctly the unit ships with a 128meg CF card.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So.........
Being ignorant on these matters I guess I have to download "stuff" and get that information into the 2610. :shock:
I can see a problem brewing here......... :?
How about the Tom-Tom?
Can I get mounts for my 1800 for that and is it any good for use on my Wing?

G

·
RK, not to worry, the 2610 comes complete with the map disk to install all the maps in the USA and Canada . No sweat, the ONLY determining factor of how many maps you want to put in is the size of the memory card you get . All 2610's come with is a little small card, you can upgrade from Wally World even, for a 2 gig card that will fit all the maps on it . Remember it's really up to you if you want ALL the maps or not at once . The whole process is really easy don't let this scare you .

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Strider said:
RK, not to worry, the 2610 comes complete with the map disk to install all the maps in the USA and Canada . No sweat, the ONLY determining factor of how many maps you want to put in is the size of the memory card you get . All 2610's come with is a little small card, you can upgrade from Wally World even, for a 2 gig card that will fit all the maps on it . Remember it's really up to you if you want ALL the maps or not at once . The whole process is really easy don't let this scare you .
Yep !....Striders got it George. Get a 2 Gig card and you will be ready to go. It is "Real" easy........ :)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK fellas I'm gonna take the plunge. :D
"Get feet Wet" has a factory Refurbished 2610 at my price range.
Now.......
What do I need to buy to get it mounted to the left side of the handlebar on my1800? :?
A RAM mount.......... I have that much in my squash...The kind that mounts where the two bolts go through the left reservoir by the clutch handle.
Do I need to order something from "Get Feet Wet" that mounts to the 2610 or can I get everything I need from a supplier who is represented on these boards?
What about a speaker?
Does the 2610 come with one built in or is it up to me to have a heart attack as I try to figure out how to get the unit plugged into my bike speaker system?
Got me figured yet?
I don’t do well when it comes to electronics... God forbid I should attempt to take anything apart on my bike to wire an accessory!! :shock:
I have a cigarette lighter plug in the left pocket. I figure that is how I am gonna power the unit. I like the idea of having it on a RAM mount on the left reservoir so forget trying to talk me into drilling holes in my dash to mount it there. I don’t care if it would be easier to see the unit. I am NOT gonna attack my bike with power tools. Besides…… I could NEVER get the freaking windshield off. :roll:

G

·
George good for you, the 2610 is a nice unit . After you fool around with it for a while you'll get the hang of it . You can pretty much mount it where ever you find the best . Ram mts work on the bars for sure, you will need an interface to hear the voice promps through your head set . There is a speaker on the cig lighter adapter, that may enable you to hear it on a bike if you don't wear a helmet . I would hard wire a power harness direct from your battery rather then using the adapter.

For all the goodies you will need, which is really plug and play see Jon, super guy and hangs around here . Good luck and enjoy ! :)

http://www.goldwinggadgets.com/

·
Registered
323 Posts
Love my 2610, it is a solid unit. I agree with contacting Jon. He will fix you up with whatever you need to get it done. Tell him about your wish to set up an Mp3 player as well, he can handle that for you.
He has a dash mount as well that will put your GPS in a great spot to see it.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Just to show You , a new in the box can be had for that on e-bay, why not get new with a year warranty?
sorry just remembered I can't post a link to e-bay lok it up search gRMIN 2610

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I am currently in Victoria,BC.I had a little free time today,so decided to go do some wine tasting.
When I selected "Winery" from the Attractions menu,it did not show any of the 6 or so wineries in the area,but showed quite a few that are in Washington.So,some things in canada may not be as complete.

It did direct me straight to my hotel with no problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.