GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a brand new pair of Baker Mirror "Hand Wings" to replace many pairs of broken Tulsa Mirror Wings. So I open the factory sealed package and go to install them. Now I might be crazy, but the hardware on these things is installed incorrectly! :evil: See the pics below, and verify for me if it is installed incorrectly so I don't feel like I'm going nuts!

Well hey, I've attacked bigger mechanical challenges, so why don't I just remove and reinstall the hardware correctly, right? Well, that's what I'm going to do because I hate dealing with crap quality and I don't feel like dealing with their customer service. After all... shouldn't it just be right when you buy it!

So question is... which side do I reverse to make it right? Does the horizontal part of the bracket that comes away from the deflector go on top or on bottom? And just to make it more fun, does the bolt hole go closer to the bike or farther from the bike?
:evil::twisted::evil::twisted:

On second thought, I'm going to post this right now and give Baker a call and see how that goes. I'm taking bets that I'll get a better answer here... and quicker than making the call to Baker. Any takers?

OK... ready..... GO!!!

:cool:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK... you guys let me down.:-(

Only kidding... Baker Built let me down. 14 minute phone call, 2 customer service reps later, and a little debate amongst themselves whether they put the wrong hardware on there and would have to send me a new one, or if I could just reverse it. (I emailed them the pics... with a link to this thread) I asked them to just send me correctly assembled wing, but they wouldn't. They also pointed out to me that the protective (removable) plastic was improperly installed under the bracket.

They gave me verbal instructions on correct installation and cautioned about stripping the plastic screws and said that they were backed up and had new employees, and agreed that this lack of quality control was unfortunate. (for me :twisted:) Blah blah blah!

Guess I'll wonder out to my 100 degree stable and put them on the correct way.

I hate when this crap happens. Good ol' American quality control.:oops:

Never a dull moment!

·
Registered
156 Posts
You ain't going nuts yet. The one on the left is put on 180 backwards. Unscrew the two bolts and turn the bracket around and you will be ok.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Steve-O, you win the prize! (Whatever that is) I knew someone would come through quickly! That's one thing I really like about this forum!

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I have way too many far more serious problems happen in my life to call a manufacturer to complain about a bracket being installed backwards that I can fix myself faster than it takes to find the phone number to call.

Baker used to ship all the parts in a separate bag, and you had to put the whole thing together yourself. Maybe they should save the labor and just go back to the old way.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that great advice to my query, Larry, but Steve-O still wins the prize!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Doesn't only happen to you. I ordered those little hinged wings that attach to the sides of the windshield directly from Honda. They arrived assembled...incorrectly. No matter what I did they just looked weird so I got the neighbor, who's a vintage Wing nut, to come over for a second opinion. He came to the same conclusion as me, the mounting hardware was backwards. Directly from whatever supplier Honda uses. Switched around the hardware, they mounted properly and work fine. At least all the hardware was present, there's that I guess.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
...they were backed up and had new employees, and agreed that this lack of quality control was unfortunate...
Don't want to seem too hard on Baker, but that sounds like the same excuse they were using over a year ago. Maybe their idea of a shift change is to hand everyone a pink slip and start anew for the next day.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Did they include the rubber stops that you fix to the bottom of the mirror housing? If not, I would try to get a couple of them. They keep the wings from turning to far. Also there is a round piece of rubber that you put on the fairing to keep it from rubbing the paint off.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Well, if it makes anyone feel better....this type of issue is world wide in all societies...

Better Now?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Solo,

I keep extra screws and nuts in stock.....LOL

Who was your servicing dealer and what did he do for you?

Was the shipping fast enough...LOL

I think that I will Fire Baker. Why not, I fired a customer this week...LOL

Dawg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Now I'm Wondering

I have a set of handwings coming in tomorrow along with a set of legwings, better get the tools ready:eek:4:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I installed a pair of Wind Wings for a bud a while back. Sone of the parts needed a little love before they would fit, but they were all there.

It makes me wonder if they might use a sheltered workshop to assemble their kits. Just Say'n.

EDIT: To be fair this was the fourth set this year, the other three were fine.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Dayum, what has happened to Baker quality control, or did they have any?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Way too much energy wasted on reversing a bracket!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts