GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just got an email confirmation from Bridgestone.

" Bridgestone tires are marked at the LIGHT spot so typically you want the
marker at the valve. "

So, the chart is good on that one.
dw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,385 Posts
Some of us have come to the conclusion that regardless of dots or no dots; its best to know the actual heavy spot of the wheel assembly and then to balance the naked wheel assembly before installing the tire. That way you can identify the actual light spot of the tire and then slip that around the rim to match the rim's heavy spot. After the first time, its a piece of cake and its nice to get in balance with little or no added weights.

prs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,417 Posts
Looks good to me. Caution: Those markings are not always 100% accurate. So if you have a dealer change a tire and the spot is not on the valve, don't shoot him, as long as the tire appears balanced.

Some folks take everything literally, to be the gospel. Well it ain't so!
Prior to balancing a rear GL1800 wheel, one might want to clean out the wheelbarrow full of brake dust that accumulates in the hollows of the wheel spokes.

Balancing is not a science nor is it magical. Balancing a tire/wheel is a + or - thing. Not accurate to .0000000000000001 grams.

Most weights come in 5 gram and 7 gram and 10 gram increments. Has anyone ever weighed a weight, to see how accurate it is? Not me for sure. Should this be done? Only if you are the anal type that requires absolute perfection in everything.

Bulldog
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pigeon Roost said:
its best to know the actual heavy spot of the wheel assembly
Totally agree Pigeon Roost!!
I did my front this way a few days ago.
Now have a scratch mark inside the rim to mark heavy spot.
Also about 85 degrees from valve stem.

I understand that this is pretty common with aluminum rims.

This time, I lined up the tires light mark at that point and the balance is so close, without any weight, I'm taking it to my dealer for double check on their spinner.

VERY COOL!! :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bulldog said:
Looks good to me. Caution: Those markings are not always 100% accurate. So if you have a dealer change a tire and the spot is not on the valve, don't shoot him, as long as the tire appears balanced.

Some folks take everything literally, to be the gospel. Well it ain't so!
Prior to balancing a rear GL1800 wheel, one might want to clean out the wheelbarrow full of brake dust that accumulates in the hollows of the wheel spokes.

Balancing is not a science nor is it magical. Balancing a tire/wheel is a + or - thing. Not accurate to .0000000000000001 grams.

Most weights come in 5 gram and 7 gram and 10 gram increments. Has anyone ever weighed a weight, to see how accurate it is? Not me for sure. Should this be done? Only if you are the anal type that requires absolute perfection in everything.

Bulldog
Great info Bulldog!!
Especially about the brake dust.
Kind of wonder sometimes if those holes in the rim make for best design.
dw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
696 Posts
TIRE MARKS

CHART RIGHT ON DUNLOP AND AVON
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
22,510 Posts
Bulldog is right, don't put a lot of faith in those dots. I recently mounted a Metzler with the two red dots at the heavy spot of the rim and it was taking almost 3 ounces. I rotated the tire on the rim so that the red dots were at the light spot of the rim and it took no weight to ballance it. So on this one paticular Metzler, the dots were 180 degrees off. All the other Metzlers I have mounted have had the red dots at the light spot, but this one was the exact opposite.

If your tire is taking more than 1.5 ounces to balance, you might try rotating it 90 degrees and rebalancing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,385 Posts
I like Bulldog's response; but feel compelled to take my bullet scale and weigh the damned weights now! :lol:

prs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fred H. said:
If your tire is taking more than 1.5 ounces to balance, you might try rotating it 90 degrees and rebalancing.
A very good rule of thumb!!

The last time my front was balanced they used a huge chunck of weight.
I got a feeling they just didn't care.

How many mechanics does it take to change a light bulb?
Seven, one to force the bulb with a hammer, five to go out for more bulbs and one to make up other repairs for the bill. :wink:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top