GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I let go of the bars, the bike IMMEDIATELY vears right.

Now, I COULD just not ride around with both hands off the bars (there's an idea), but I do often ride one handed (I have problems with my hands and like to give them a rest when I can). To go straight with my right hand only, I need to pull back on the right grip. To go straight with my left hand only, I have to push forward fairly forcefully. I thought it might be the road, but the big girl swerved immediately right from both sides of both highway lanes. If this was a car, I would think the front end needed an alighnment.

I never had to do this with any other bike, but then none of them had 120 foot pounds of torque. Is this normal, or is this something wrong with the bearings or steering head?

Anyone else notice this? :nojoke:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I occasionally ride with no hands on the bars.....no pull either way. I can 'steer' by squeezing one cheek or the other.

·
15 year Member
6,906 Posts
I occasionally ride with no hands on the bars.....no pull either way. I can 'steer' by squeezing one cheek or the other.
With BOTH hands on the bars???

LOL

TMI

Matt(BCNV)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts

Thats a safety issue....it has to cause you to shut one eye!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Mine pulls left a little. From the way you describe yours, I think there is a problem. Should not pull that hard to either direction.
I am not knowledgeable enough to offer good advice on this issue.
So why let that stop me.:p
Front axle worn?
Front tire worn?
Forks not aligned properly?
Rear tire worn?

Hope for your sake someone who really knows what might be wrong will answer your question.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Mine pulls to one side too. I can't remember which way, but I think it's to the left. I haven't ridden the bike since April. It's my winter bike. It started pulling to the side when I installed a car tire on the back. At first I thought it was a cross wind, then I thought it was the crown in the road. But it pulls the same way in either lane. The only time it pulls straight is when I'm pulling a trailer. I just ride it and I haven't' seen any unusual wear on the front tire. I'm running a Battleax rear tire on the front.

·
Registered
67 Posts
On my 5th wing. None pulled at all.
Something is wrong.

Keep asking till you get an answer.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Mine has leaned to the right since Feb. 2001. In 2008 it started to really lean.
I just hope I can afford to keep replacing the right peg til 2012...:lol:

·
Registered
655 Posts
It is so weird, at speeds if I steer left I go right if I steer right I go left....What is up with that:shrug:

So I never miss an opportunity for being a smart ass oyvay

·
Registered
86 Posts
May sound like a silly question but mine goes right but only when I have put my tool bag in the right saddlebag. So, how is the bike loaded?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Load?

The way you describe it could be something more serious but I assume you have checked the obvious i.e. the load in the sidebags and rear trunk are evenly distributed or does it do this when empty?

Just a though.

Donnie

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
no lean here

Mine doesn't have a lean that I've noticed, or at least not severe enough to prevent me from putting it on cruise control and putting my gloves back on. :eek:4:

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
If I remove both hands off the bars, my 2008 bike would pull slightly towards left... 2010 goes straight.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll try riding her without anything in the bags or trunk tomorrow. Check bag for an update.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I lean a bit to the left and so does my bike. Where I ride the roads / highways are center crowned a bit so the I think the tire wears a bit differently on the left more then the right. Also my left turns are more sweeping and wearing then the right hand short turns. I think our riding patterns wear a tire a bit differently on one side more then the other and that causes the bike to pull.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I may have an answer for you all. Some time ago, I had the chance to ride on the back of our 2 seater bicycle for the first time. I was used to riding captain on the front. What I found was that I was continually trying to lean the bike to the right by twisting the bars that way. To no avail, because I was not in control. The captain on the front was. That was when I realized I naturally cant a 2 wheeled bike to the right to reach my natural balance point. Which makes me a degree or so off!!:roll: Anyways, I have found the same applies when I let go of the bars on my motorcycles. My natural lean almost makes it impossible to keep the bike going in a straight line for more than a few seconds before my balance reflexes take over and shove the bike to the side. Hope this makes sense and should answer the question for most of you. Regards, Jim

1 - 20 of 62 Posts