GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on the expressway last week and was passed by these two motorcycles. At first glance I thought the local police had changed over to BMW. But after a closer look they are the new "first response" emergency squad. Note the oxygen bottles on the sides and the word "Rescue" on their jackets. I guess they can get there a lot faster than a fire truck.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I've never seen that here.

They mayb in the SunCity retirement area which is 65 miles north west from me.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hey Hal, I haven't seen them but I saw you on your yellow scooter in ROAD BIKE
Well maybe it is Chris, but its in the same family.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'll tell you what, don't let my Paramedic/Firefighter/Motorcycle riding son see that. He will be going directly to his Chief (Arlington, Texas) on his hands and knees!! LOL

·
Registered
41 Posts
does your city have this

I read about this at the barbershop a few weeks ago. They are used in larger cities. And according to the article BMW donated quite a few bikes to pilot the program. It was exaclty for what you said they can navigate through traffic faster than full size vehicles delivering medical attention in a fraction of the time. Especially on crowded freeways and in towns that have large activities. It also stated that they would be on hand for bike week. I cant remember how many cities are involved in the pilot though. Looks like i may need to go get my haircut again.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Hey Jeff, you're much too young to be suffering from...what was it I was talking about? LOL :D At least you still have hair to cut!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thats a great idea because in large cities with heavy freeway traffic a motorcycle is one of the few vehicles that can split traffic and get to the victim.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Daytona Beach Fire/Rescue was one of the first to utilize bikes. They carry an amazing amount of equipment and are about the only way to get around town during Special Events (especially Bike Week). Went on a Poker Run for a local Deputy that was KIA a few months ago and one of the Motor Medics was riding with us. Said they are allowed to use the bikes for such events to keep their skills up. Kinda comforting having him riding with our group!

Michael

·
Registered
94 Posts
I must tell this story about being an unwilling First Responder. While working as a Freeway Motor Cop in the City of L A, I was assigned to an elevated portion of the Santa Monica Freeway we nicknamed "The Bridge". It was mid morning and my partner and I were directing traffic around a minor traffic accicent. All traffic was at a standstill. Suddenly I looked into oncoming traffic and saw a Yellow Cab somehow managing to move forward by flashing his lights and honking the horn. The Black Cab driver's eyes were huge, big as saucers, and he appeared to be scarred to death about something. I motioned him to use the shoulder and he managed to drive to our location. In the back seat of the cab were two very large Black women and one of them was giving birth. They were attempting to get to the county hospital. By the time the ambulance could get to us we had a healthy baby boy. Both me, my partner, and the Cab Driver would have loved to have seen a First Responder that day.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Hal,

You must be kidding, right? Where I live, the cops write down your plate # and then stop you when you come through town again.

Our Volunteer Fire Dept. consists of about 15 active members that show up to a fire, when they can. Also we still have in town, a train rail that was bent into a circle, and when beat with a hammer, it summonses the fireman.

So to answer your question, Nope we ain't got no motorcycle first responder brigade....LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Bulldog, that sounds like the little town of Center, Colorado that I lived in when I was a kid. My dad was the pastor of the Baptist church, so he was in town a lot of the time. The fire dept. was all volunteer, as was the ambulance driver. Whoever showed up first, drove. They had a Pontiac station wagon with a raised roof for an ambulance, I remember it well because Dad borrowed it to haul home a crib when my sister was born. This was in the early sixties, because my sister was born in '61, but those years were some of the best of my life growing up so the mental images still stick. I can still hear the air raid siren going off to summon the fire fighters. LOL

·
Registered
613 Posts
BMWs for Special Ops

I haven't seen any BMWs for EMT personnel around the DC area. BUT the Pentagon got a few of them for the Defense Protective Service. (That's the Pentagon version of police....they're just not as good as the real thing, IMHO.) They are buzzing around the Pentagon when the weather is good. I just figured they got their budgeting from Haliburton or one of the other "up-in-up" contractors, so got BMWs. Didn't think about maybe BMW gave them a deal or something.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
My guess for them using BMW's is there are a bunch of police dept. lease returns that should be coming up about now. CHP uses BMWs, all are leased along with maintenance. The lease runs out, the bikes go back. Now what do they do with them?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
FLwingnut1 said:
Daytona Beach Fire/Rescue was one of the first to utilize bikes. They carry an amazing amount of equipment and are about the only way to get around town during Special Events (especially Bike Week). Went on a Poker Run for a local Deputy that was KIA a few months ago and one of the Motor Medics was riding with us. Said they are allowed to use the bikes for such events to keep their skills up. Kinda comforting having him riding with our group!

Michael
Yes we have them around here.
Yes FLWingnut is right the program that started it all is in Daytona. The program is a model for most others in the world and has been featured in many trade publications for Fire or EMS. I wouldn't mind if my department started using motormedics.
See the link. http://www.ci.daytona-beach.fl.us/fire/motor_medic.htm
Wayne
Firefighter/Paramedic

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
BTW FLwingnut1. I also rode on the run for Dep. Sease. There was a pretty good turn out for the run. I'm sure we crossed paths somewhere that day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts