GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I rock the bike on the centerstand,I can hear sort of a clunking sound that I think is coming from the forks.
Nothing appears loose.I recently retorqued the All Balls steering head bearings.
I recently rebuilt the forks,including new springs and bushings.
With the front wheel off the ground,there does not appear to be anything loose.
Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Check rotor bolts and caliper bolts for tightness?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I had the same thing about a year ago on my '05.
Did the same checks as you.
It did go away, only suggestion is a stuck ADV.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
My front end is clunk free. The front end clunk is a classic symptom of loose steering stem bearing. The bearing will pound itself to death rather quickly. The test is very quick and simple. See your service manual.

prs

S

·
0 Posts
Negative Jeff ,

First question Jeff , what does it sound like , metalic , plastic , hollow , clunk or clang or thunk ?

2 Can you get someone to lay down by your bike as you drop it off the stand to hear where it is coming from ?

3 How long has this been going on, miles approx ?

It sure sounds like it could be the stem bearing all right . It is hard to check them by yourself , get someone to get on your bike off the center stand and hold the front brake on while they rock it back and forth . Put your hand directly on the handlebar clamp at the triple clamp . If you can get to the front as well , reach up and put your hand directly on the front of the frame where the steering bearing are while the bike is rocked or dropped off the stand . You should feel a clunk for sure if its the bearings.

Jeff you need to grab the wheel with both hands at 9 and 3 oclock position (or close as long as youare 180% apart) and try to flex the wheel back and forth as if you were trying to wiggle it off counter to the way it rotates . Then spin the wheel half a turn and try again .

4 If you put your hands directly on the lower fork tubes can you feel anything when the bike is rocked back and forth ?

5 Does it only make the noise coming off the stand , what about off a curb or speed bump ?

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it figured out guys.
Went back out with Gen as a helper and did lots more pushing and pulling.
It is a wheel bearing.
I have my spare wheel and tire ready to go.It's time to change tires anyway,as I'm down to the wear bars on the current front tire.
Already have the old wheel off.

Thanks for the replies!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts