GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This borders on a rant. I am very tech savvy (fellowship in medical informatics, former head of information systems, former director of technology). When I was responsible for managing change in various insititutions I would always show how the change made life better. If it didn't, I'd never suggest implementing the new technology.

I'm to the point with my GPS that I don't think it makes my life better. I've had the Quest 2 for almost a year, and I am less and less impressed each trip. Today was the one that resulting in this 'rant'. Some examples:

- Today I was going over to St. Louis to an address that has been in existence for at least 75 years (but I wasn't sure how to get there). I was routed over interstates almost 50 miles out of my way on an 80 mile trip. After taking me on a freeway in the opposite direction of the destination for over 20 miles, it stuck on "recalculating 99%" for 10 minutes.

- A few weeks ago we were house hunting in a town we had never been to before and didn't know our way around. I used the realty program to decide the order to see the houses and plugged them into Mapsource and generated a route. Driving in the car, the Quest 2 told me to take a right turn off South Main Street, routed me on an 8 block jaunt in a big circle and back on to South Main Street one block south of where it told me to take the right turn, then to turn right and head back on my course.

- I was pulling out of a gas station that I had not programmed in as a via point and looked at the screen. I could look to the right and see the freeway on ramp. It wanted me to go straight and had the route highlighted around a four block square to back in front of the gas station, then to the on ramp.

- When I head north on Highway 51 (which has been there for 17 years). it keeps trying to route me on to Old Hwy 51 (which is gravel in some sections and five miles greater distance to the next town north than using the regular Highway 51).

- It takes so long to repaint the map after a turn that you miss the next turn if it is within a block or two when riding in town.

I could go on....

There are some strong points......

It is very good at getting you from point A to point B if you map it on Mapsource first, clean up the route with viapoints, and download it to the GPS.

I can find food if you're hungry and somewhere near where the food is.

Is this typical of everyone's GPS or is it limited to Garmin or Quest?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
My Quest hasn't done that yet. Well at least not to that extent. It did something similar once on my trip to California last May in an area around Fresno. Other than that, the routing (Mapsource generated or internal) has been flawless.

Then again, I'm using Mapsource V6. I think the Quest II came with V7 and I've heard a lot of complaints about it.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
My Navman did something similar in 05, in Portland, OR. We were passing through on the interstate, and I was following the voice commands as the traffic was pretty heavy. After the second time of going over the same bridge, I pulled off and got out the atlas. :roll:

·
Registered
311 Posts
My Quest 2 can act funky at times, try a full factory reset, it helped on mine.

Below is from Garmin tech support:
If you do a master reset it will clear all your user data including your waypoints so you will want to back those up if you have important ones to save. To do a master reset you start with the unit turn off and hold down on the page and ok button at the same time while powering the unit on. It will ask you if you want to clear user data and you will want to choose yes. After that take the unit outside in clear view of the sky and let it set there for 10 to 15 min. with the antenna flipped out.

Don't have this problem with my Quest, (original version).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LVWolfman

Other than that, the routing (Mapsource generated or internal) has been flawless.
LV- I agree, when I map with Mapsource and clear out the errors using viapoints, it performs great. Went on a two week/4400 mile trip through the southwest (eight states) and didn't have to pull out a paper map once after routing on Mapsource.

LeeBos

My Quest 2 can act funky at times, try a full factory reset, it helped on mine.
Thank you, I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
As you know from your previous work you can only expect technology to do what it was designed to do and to process only the information was given in the way the programmers thought you would want it processed. You need to match your expectations with the capabilities of the hardware, software, firmware and base information.
My experience with my 2610 is that it would have accomplished your tasks extremely well. Mine just took me on a 3600 mile trip through 13 states, most of them unfamiliar to me. It was flawless in its execution of what I asked it to do within its capabilities.
Maybe a different unit would perform better for you.
Any chance there was any operator error, .......... naw, didn't think so.
Your rant is perfectly acceptable. Now that identified the opportunity for improvement, you need to develop a better combination of process, technology, and training. The combination of these three things, has been shown to solve and improve many situations. Think about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts