GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question that goes out to anyone who has a Goldwing 2018+ DCT or Manual. I am am experienced rider and RiderCoach . I have ridden Wings for 30 years now, starting with a 1998 Goldwing GL1500. I jus and t took a DCT Wing out yesterday and I like the way the new fork less front end eats up bumps but I noticed something that was quite concerning to me and I was hoping a number of your owners could chime in. I currently have a 2012 ABS and ride.it like a sport bike with large bags. When I practice simple swerving in the road I found what feels like a lack of quickness in the steering. So when I press left to swerve left there is a delay from the actual press to where I feel the bike lean! This was disconccerting to me as a Wing advocate. Could some of your Goldwing 2018+ riders try doing swerves as I would like to know if there is a delay. It does eventually turn but it seems that it is slow to pick up on the press especially compared to my 2012. When I press on the handgrip on my 2012 it turns/leans like right now. I did not feel that responsiveness from the new 2018 double wishbone suspension. Before answering please try doing some quick avoidance swerves and then I would appreciate your feedback. Is what I am saying true above on your 2018+ bikes? Yes I love almost everything else but the slow steering that I witnessed was a big concern. I had the dealership fill the tires before my ride as the TPMS was on from sitting at the shop too long. So I tested the bike with factory recommended tire pressures. Thanks in advance for your honest feedback.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
My 2018 Wing Tour turns and swerves just as fast and easy has the 2009 BMW K1200LT I traded in for it.

The Wing also feels just as nimble as the BMW R1200GS I had before the LT.

I do run the tires a little harder then factory pressure. I keep mine at 40 psi on the front and 45 on the back.

I also ran the same pressure on the BMWs.

In my opinion most factory tire pressures are just a little too low.

The bike rides smoother but the tires wear faster with the factory pressure.

·
Registered
413 Posts
You are correct, I noticed it right away also. You can compensate by adding extra input to the initial move. Push harder, further and faster at the beginning of the move. Not a bunch, it only takes a little.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
the new takes some learning on how to drive it correctly because it drives differently, but it is as capable as the prior model with some added benefits

·
Registered
942 Posts
No issues for me.
I have used it in teaching MSF BRC 2
Only issue is the box with DCT
Need to slip rear brake some
My thought and experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I'm an overly aggressive rider and my '18 is my fourth Wing (only have a wing cuz my wife prefers it) while MY ride is a GSA now (loved the ST1300 but the heat) and my last Wing was an '08 so I can't say what the newer generation Wings were like (like your previous '12) but I feel that this is a great ride except the suspension, just too bouncy and not as trustworthy IMHO so I went with the Traxxion upgrade and feel this thing handles great now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I didn't notice any delay. I'm also at 40psi on the front. I ride 3 bikes regularly; Harley Roadglide BMW K1600 and my 2018 Goldwing. So, I'm constantly comparing bikes / handling. The wing is by far the most responsive and nimble. I feel balanced and able to instantly flick it into turns yet it doesn't have any instability or tend to follow rain grooves on the highway. The BMW is noticeably "heavier" to turn yet I don't ever feel unstable. (I didn't notice the BMW heaviness until I road the Honda). The Harley has aftermarket suspension and still isn't comparable. I'm wondering if at some point the Honda linkage will loosen up and change the handling. My first Gold Wing was a 1978. I sort of lost interest as they became larger and heavier until I test rode the slightly smaller 2018 with the DCT.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have noticed no issues. No difference from my 2012 Goldwing.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I noticed the slower steering of the new one right away on an extended demo. One weekend we took a 2018, my 2006, and a ST1300 out for a 200 mile ride with each of us swapping bikes back and forth. Both of my friends mentioned the difference, both good experienced riders. It [2018] is by no means a sluggard, just not possessing the same quick neutral steering of the previous generation. When I read comments otherwise I wonder if they ever got to ride both back to back to back.

·
Registered
466 Posts
It’s another learning curve thing.

Honestly, after 32 bikes it is not an issue for me ... except I have to admit that I was unable to warm up to either the ST1300 or the old style Wing.

That doesn’t mean they weren’t perfect for someone else.

The new Wing is no sport bike ... but it is much more confidence inspiring than the old style for me. Maybe it’s because I’ve had the same basic suspension geometry on at least four BMWs.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Well, I have a big alternative tire on mine now, but I did not notice a difference in steering input before doing that. The 2002 I had was very nimble for such a large bike and this smaller one is, to me, as good. The Darksider tire takes a little more effort, so I will sample again next time I have the motor tire on.

prs

·
Registered
81 Posts
I used to ride a pos harley so this 2018 wing is absolutely amazing in every possible way. Especially the handling. I can't believe how good it is.
When a hd rider asks me how it compares I say it don't in any way it's like going from a 1964 chevy base pickup no power steering or brakes, 3 on the tree, to a 2019 fully loaded, and I last had one of their pos rushmore excuses, until I was almost killed by a crash from the death shake.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I came from a 2013 F6B to the 2018 Goldwing DCT. Steering on the F6B was very responsive / light, requiring very little steering input force (perhaps a bit too responsive). If you lost your line in a long fast turn it was a delicate thing to get it back. I had to pay attention not to over or under steer when it counted.

I noticed immediately that the 2018 steering was heavier (more input force required to get the bike to respond as fast as the F6B). It's just as nimble as the F6B but requires more input force from the rider. After a 1,000 miles you don't even notice that you have automatically adjusted and are unconsciously applying the added steering input force to get the desired response.

My guess is you were applying light pre 2018 steering input forces and slowly applying more force since the bike was not responding as you expected. This would give you the sense of a delay in the bike changing directions. If you want to go Turn Now, apply more Force Now with no delay.

What I really like about the 2018 is once you pick your line in a turn the bike is pretty much locked in. With the F6B any small inadvertent steering input in a corner could take you off your line.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
45k on my 2018 and it is better than either of my previous wings for handling. That said, there is a learning curve, but a short one.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't have an '18, but it might be that the air pressure they inflated it to either wasn't correct or the gauge used wasn't accurate. I just came off a shifter kart race and was having some handling quirks but our starting and ending pressures, using my dial gauge, were "on". Turns out my
gauge was sick, and using a friend's $400 gauge, we realized this. Who knows but unless you personally set the cold pressures yourself, with a known accurate gauge, you won't know for sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I noticed the slower steering of the new one right away on an extended demo. One weekend we took a 2018, my 2006, and a ST1300 out for a 200 mile ride with each of us swapping bikes back and forth. Both of my friends mentioned the difference, both good experienced riders. It [2018] is by no means a sluggard, just not possessing the same quick neutral steering of the previous generation. When I read comments otherwise I wonder if they ever got to ride both back to back to back.
The difference feels pretty obvious to me but then again I practice quick swerves and emergency stops to see how quickly a bike can avoid or stop when confronting an obstacle. The difference may be that I rode up on my GL1800 and tested the 18 Goldwing and then rode my GL1800 150 miles home doing about a hundred quick swerves. With the older GL1800 there is no special pressure or faster pressure needed, you just use finger pressure and the bike leans like NOW!
Thanks everyone for their input.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have a question that goes out to anyone who has a Goldwing 2018+ DCT or Manual. I am am experienced rider and RiderCoach . I have ridden Wings for 30 years now, starting with a 1998 Goldwing GL1500. I jus and t took a DCT Wing out yesterday and I like the way the new fork less front end eats up bumps but I noticed something that was quite concerning to me and I was hoping a number of your owners could chime in. I currently have a 2012 ABS and ride.it like a sport bike with large bags. When I practice simple swerving in the road I found what feels like a lack of quickness in the steering. So when I press left to swerve left there is a delay from the actual press to where I feel the bike lean! This was disconccerting to me as a Wing advocate. Could some of your Goldwing 2018+ riders try doing swerves as I would like to know if there is a delay. It does eventually turn but it seems that it is slow to pick up on the press especially compared to my 2012. When I press on the handgrip on my 2012 it turns/leans like right now. I did not feel that responsiveness from the new 2018 double wishbone suspension. Before answering please try doing some quick avoidance swerves and then I would appreciate your feedback. Is what I am saying true above on your 2018+ bikes? Yes I love almost everything else but the slow steering that I witnessed was a big concern. I had the dealership fill the tires before my ride as the TPMS was on from sitting at the shop too long. So I tested the bike with factory recommended tire pressures. Thanks in advance for your honest feedback.
Aside from riding impressions it can be noted the steering geometry on the 2018 is a little slower compared to the 2001-2017. Increasing rake angle does slow steering response and the 2018 is 30.5 degrees while the previous gen is 29 degrees.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts