GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine does. I fell and broke it at the end of April. I still sit on a special cushion at the office and at home. I still have to sit carefully everywhere. Riding my FJR has been agonizing. Riding the wing wasn't much better.

So I've carved up the FJR seat, and it helped a lot...cut out a slot to relieve pressure on the tailbone, but the stock seat is so uncomfortable for both me and my wife it's parked until a custom seat gets made.

BUT, the experience gave me the gumption to remove the cover from the Goldwing seat and unlimber the electric knife. I carefully cut a U-shaped piece about an inch deep in the seat, and, because I also suffered ligament damage, a similar U-shaped piece out of the seatback. Test rode it without restaplng, cut a little bit more out, and tried it again. Decided it was good, and put the cover back on. A little 250 mile jaunt today, and I have to say there's a world of difference. No pain while riding, a little soreness this evening (instead of not being able to find a comfortable position other than lying on my side, like after riding the FJR a couple of weeks ago). You can't tell by looking that the cutout is under the cover. I was careful when stapling everything back to leave more material over the rear of my sitting area...so the vinyl has a little give at the new "divot."

Sorry I don't have photos, but it's a very straightforward procedure, other than wrestling the little strings that go through the foam seat back into place...and that's just a hassle, not a problem. There's a thread on the another board titled something like "butt pain relief, finally" with good photos of the seat cover removal and replacement, the guy did something different with his foam, but the seat cover removal pics are good, and for that matter, there's several other postings in the thread of different butt solutions.

I tried some very firm one inch foam first with a cutout, but decided I had nothing to lose working on the factory foam, and it worked great for me. I weigh about two hundred pounds.

Mebbe this will help someone else.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Maybe you could post a link to the other site; might help someone else with the same problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lucky Phil said:
Maybe you could post a link to the other site; might help someone else with the same problem.
I wasn't sure it was okay to link to another forum...some forums are very prickly about that, but here you go:

http://tinyurl.com/p6jcy

·
Registered
168 Posts
FJR seat

I had an 05 FJR and the seat killed my butt. A 250 mile ride was torture. An aftermarket seat is a must on the FJR for any distance riding. The wing is somewhat better. My injured tailbone from several years ago started acting up again from riding the FJR for about a month. My sympathies to your new painful experience. Take care of it or it will plague you for a long time.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Mark,

Here's an aftermarket seat that looks like it might work for people with your problem, also...

Star Cushion Products, Inc.
Home of the "Freedom Air" motorcycle seat cushion
5 Commerce Drive
Freeburg, IL 62243
(888) 277-7827 - (618) 539-7070

I'm thinking about picking up one of their Freedom Air seats - they cost $178...

-=Margarita Will=-

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Margarita Will said:
Mark,

Here's an aftermarket seat that looks like it might work for people with your problem, also...

Star Cushion Products, Inc.
Home of the "Freedom Air" motorcycle seat cushion
5 Commerce Drive
Freeburg, IL 62243
(888) 277-7827 - (618) 539-7070

I'm thinking about picking up one of their Freedom Air seats - they cost $178...

-=Margarita Will=-
Yes, thanks for the suggestion. The cost of it, and the Airhawk and similar designs, is what drove me to attack the Wing foam with an electric knife. Unfortunately, the Star Cushion is the wrong shape and size for the FJR.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Where ya at? I'd be happy to ride that Feejer for ya so it don't get all froze up! :lol:

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lazyboy said:
Where ya at? I'd be happy to ride that Feejer for ya so it don't get all froze up! :lol:

Thanks for the info.
I appreciate your kind offer, but looking at your avatar makes me think perhaps you need to get a few more miles under your belt before you light the fuse on that Yamaha rocket ship.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts