GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my ECM changed this week and still have pre-ignition ping. Was hoping it would go away with new ECM. Question is does yours ping?

Have 2002 and on acceleration get bad engine ping. First noticed it on acceleration in first and second around 4,000 RPM. Less noticable under 2,500 RPM. To give you an idea of the ping, at 70 MPH with radio on outside speakers and volume at 26, twisting the throttle moderately to pass car sounds like 15 rattlesnakes in your helmet.

Tried going from 87 to 89 octane gas with not change. Didn't try the 93 octane yet.

·
Registered
271 Posts
No Ping noticed...

If the "ping" is higher RPMs I would not expect it to be spark knock, and therefore not affected by octane of your gas. I think spark knock is usually experienced with heavy loads at lower RPMs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used to have a bad ping with the old ECM. Since the change, I hear a ping under load for a second or two, and then it corrects the timing. You may have to have the knock sensor checked. JM2C

Carl
03 Silver ABS

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 02 Silver pinged from the day I got it till I crashed at 11000 miles. :cry: The new 04 Titanium does not ping at all. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I used Amsoil P.I. Performance Improver Gasoline Additive, about an oz. every other fill-up. I think STP makes a simular product. I'm not affiliated with either company. Just think they have good products.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I found when I use 93 octane my ping under hard acceleration is almost nonexistent.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Usually no need for higher octane

Of course, we've been down this road many times, but for the vast majority of us, we don't need a higher octane than 87. In fact, when riding in the higher elevations, I have run 85 without any pinging. The only time I can even get some of that is if I lug the engine down in fifth gear and try to goose it - say from around 15 mph in fifth gear (not recommended, and I usually wake up and down shift quickly when that happens). Must be something else to check out - shouldn't be the octane.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I used to get pinging when I would try to race someone....I mean accelerate fast when I was using 89 octane. Now I use the higher octane and no pinging at all. Haven't had the ECM changed.

Annette

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hey Raven, you? race, errr I mean accellerate.

:beer2: Did you happen to find a pair of persription sun glasses in a case. or a Heated glove. lost both. Joy

·
Registered
134 Posts
yellowwing1 said:
Hey Raven, you? race, errr I mean accellerate.

Joy, no I don't race. I just don't let people out accelerate me sometimes :wink: :yes:

·
Registered
819 Posts
ping

01 1800 with 39,000 miles, I've been all over from under sea level to 14,225 feet never used anything but the low grade gas and bike has never pinged. Sorry some of you have problems. :cry:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2003 from the time I first bought it new last Dec. Had the ECM changed and still did it. At 17000 miles I change the sparks plugs and found the gap to be at to be way to wide on all 6. After replacing with new one with the proper gap it has not pinged since. I think they were gap wrong from the factory when new.

Joe

·
Registered
170 Posts
Even assembly people make mistakes that are not caught in the inspection process. Oh well :shock: :roll: :oops:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Has the problem gotten worse since ethanol has been introduced in most gas stations or does the ethanol have no effect?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
At what RPM'S do you normally shift ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts