GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride yesterday in the hills above Laguna Beach and while going up a steep hill steam started pouring out of the right side of my '03 'Wing. I had left a trail of radiator fluid all the way up the hill. My fellow GWRRA buddies stopped to see what we could do and after a few minutes one of them went home to get his trailer. I called Totally Wings and they came to the house and trailered the bike back to the shop to start working on it. Today, Jack, from Totally Wings pulled off the belly pan and he said it was full of little aluminum parts. Tomorrow he's going to pull the gas tank out to see the rear of the engine and see what's going on. The bike started up fine to drive onto the trailer and the engine sounded completely normal so I'm really wondering what the heck happened. Jack's thinking maybe the housing around the thermostat area might have blown up. Whatever it is it sounds like it's going to be expensive. Anyone else have any experiences in this area???

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
Wait, I can see it through the fog, could it be?? YES I see a new 2009 in your future........ yet it may be 3 or 4 years from now, but its an '09!!

Matt(BCNV) :tongue:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use Honda's oil that they recommend for the bike.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know that new C/T really does grab onto the road. My usual burnouts have turned into wheelies. Maybe the engine just couldn't handle the extra grab.:shrug:

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,732 Posts
I use Honda's oil that they recommend for the bike.
That's the problem. Amzerl Tim vandalized your bike. Now he can say "see, you should have used my product".

Time are tough and call for drastic measures I guess.

Good luck on this. Hopefully it's nothing to expensive.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
The fan problem was on the 06 and newer bikes because Honda put larger radiators on them. I doubt if it's that. Might only be a hose or could be the water pump. Before pulling the gas tank out he should look at it with the belly pan off and see where the fluid is coming from.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Joe, I'm going to go over the shop this morning and watch as he pulls it apart so I'll check that out. We were going to ride up to Lompoc this weekend with the Q group but looks like that may not happen. Guess we could ride two up on my wife's 'Wing or I could ride the Warrior but I'm really spoiled by my 'Wing. Hopefully I'm jumping the gun and it will be ready to go by the weekend. As always, I appreciate everyone's input.:bow:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got back from looking at the broken parts from the belly pan. They were pretting thick pieces of aluminum. He didn't have the gas tank out so we could see that part of the engine yet, but it has to be part of the housing around the water pump I'm guessing. No other oil leaks or anything other than radiator fluid. I'm amazed how much crap has to come off to get this part of the engine. This ain't going to be cheap.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Don't jump to conclusions. It might be something small and it will not cost you an arm and a leg. It sound as if you don't have the extended warranty. Bummer! Good luck, and please keep us informed.

Mike

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I always like it when I hear the final outcome of a problem, so here's the final word on my 'Wing. After all was said and done the problem was a hole in the right-side radiator hose. The debri in the belly pan was just from the road and some of the pieces just happened to be aluminum that looked like engine casing. The mechanic said it was pretty obvious what caused the hole. At some point in time some hot oil was dripped on to the hose. Hot oil and radiator hoses don't mix and this created a weak spot on the hose that eventually gave out. The mechanic said he'd seen this a few times before and to make sure to avoid dripping oil in that area (or any other really). I've notice for awhile, when I change or check the oil, there was oily dirt next to the fill plug. So I think a little has seeped out over the years. The mechanic put a new o-ring on the filler plug.

As a side note, I left off the belly pan thinking I'd maybe look at some of the new ones out. But after riding all day, two up, in the hills above Pacific Coast Highway, I notice that the bike wasn't overheating like it has always done. I talked to the mechanic and he said the difference is the belly pan. I had drilled holes all over the front of the belly pan to let air in, but apparently that wasn't enough. Without the pan the bike never moved off the normal range where it is supposed to sit.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
As a side note, I left off the belly pan thinking I'd maybe look at some of the new ones out. But after riding all day, two up, in the hills above Pacific Coast Highway, I notice that the bike wasn't overheating like it has always done. I talked to the mechanic and he said the difference is the belly pan. I had drilled holes all over the front of the belly pan to let air in, but apparently that wasn't enough. Without the pan the bike never moved off the normal range where it is supposed to sit.
UH OH...You've started it now!!!! :popcorn: ;)

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Totally Wings---- Never heard of this shop... wheres it located?
Yeah... and do they have any senior mechanics there who used to work on the really OLD wings, circa 1981-1984? Not younger guys who 'can' work on them, but older guys who actually worked on them when new?

If so, I'd like to get some contact info on them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts