GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slow Joe and Ezondai talk about me on their cb's when we ride......

.....so I decided that I need a cb so that the three of us can talk about Big Pat.....

Is there a place to get one that doesn't break your legs.....$700? jeez:22yikes:

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'd like to find one too, but just can't justify that rediculously high price for one. Guess Mother Honda must have it's design patented or something, I'd think if not, someone could make one a whole lot cheaper by now, heck, you can buy one for your old beater pickup for 30 or 40 dollars!!

B

·
0 Posts
That is actually not a bad price. Did you check the sponsor of this sites price? I bought mine from them and received free shipping and no tax. Had it in 3-4 days.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You big cheap skate! Do like I did and just bite the bullet! I sure hated it too, but there isn't a good alternative. It only hurts for a little while.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't care what anyone says so I guess I don't need one :joke:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Best price I could find

I did a lot of checking around and Direct Line Parts had the best price. True it isn't cheap, but we believe the benefits out weigh the cost. I installed it today and it only took the afternoon and I was taking my time. I heard it was somewhat of a chore, but I have no experience working on bikes and did alright. :thumbup: All the tips and photos etc.. on the forums was all the help I needed.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
A quick search and I found one for $575.99:lol:, but I didn't buy one

When you find the best price call HDl for your price match. Save a buck and still support Hal. best of both worlds:lol:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I paid 525.00 AL Lambs Honda... I believe they are 575.00 now , Plus figure 100-+ a few for the antenna .

I hated the coin needed to aquire one...but it's so nice to have , let alone the safety benefits .

Mother Honda knew how to corner the market on it... it is soooo integrated into the system it's ridiculous ...plus the functions are displayed
on your screen...such as channel , squelch , volume , tx..rx and so on ...

It sucks when you pull up to a light and everyone is jawing..laughing and joking and you feel out of the loop ... if you do group rides, you can keep
up with the goings on...and talk to whoever.

Bite the bullet...shop around , check HAls pricing , Fleabay...ect.

You'll be glad you did !

·
Registered
127 Posts
so for those that did it, was it worth it.
I think I would like a CB, but it is expensive for what it is.

I ride solo a lot and when I ride in a group its with HD riders from work.

The first time I will be riding with other wingers will be at cats-cade. So my question, how useful/fun is a CB when not riding with other wingers

TIA

·
Registered
34 Posts
When you buy the CB for $700, does it come with head sets and attenna?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
That is actually not a bad price. Did you check the sponsor of this sites price? I bought mine from them and received free shipping and no tax. Had it in 3-4 days.

Me too.

Might as well buy it now.......they ain't getting no cheaper!!!:shock:

·
Registered
184 Posts
And let's not forget one added benefit :D CBs are the only 'radar detector' still legal in all 50 states

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I bought a hand held one. Mounted it on my handlebar, wired it with our board electronic guru gadets and away I go... total cost was $200 or so.:doorag: :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Well Terry, who we gonna talk about now?:joke:
I bit the bullet and it only hurts for a little bit. As for a CB not real good. At 75 mph you're on the cops before somebody can let you know. Range on these is terrible.
Came in real handy when some got seperated going to Tennessee Lunch run. The group turned left and we lost them. Found them with the CB and caught up.
Good in downtown Savannah when redlights would seperate the group. Fred would let us know he would be pulling off to the side and waiting for us.
Does help the riders behind you get around a slow truck or cage. Can let the others know that it is clear over a hill or around a curve if you want to pass( doesn't work every time does it BartMan:joke:)
Last I think it helps you know what's going on and what's fixin to happen with the group. Somebody needs to stop for potty break or several need to stop for potty break.
As for riding alone it's basically useless as far as I'm concerned but so are the armrest, adjustable foot passenger foot pegs, extra head set, size small Gerbings, and GPS if your riding in area you're familar with. These cost more and have a sigle use also.
Biggest negative though is if BentWing gets one Terry and I will have to talk about somebody else( but then we'll have help.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Like Fireeater I purchased a handheld and headset for under $50.00, mounted to handle bars. Tested last week on a ride several friends and I took, talked to truckers and oi\ther bikes over a mile away and think that if we had been on a highway that was in a more open area probably equal that of the oem model.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'd kind of like one (I think) for those times that I ride with DDking, Trialsman et. al and they're talking about me. But then I prefer to listen to my music. It would be nice to let them know that if they don't stop in the next 3 hours I'm going to pee my pants. But I can't justify the $$$$ especially when I'd like to have the $$$$$$$$ Traxxion suspension upgrade. Now that would enhance my ride!
To each his own but its on the bottom of my list for now.
Steve

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
I bought one, if you ride in groups alot it is worthwhile otherwise it is not. It only goes out a mile and it is 70's technology at best.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts