GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about trying Dyna Beads balancing instead of lead weights. Anyone have some sage advise for me....

Just a few questions to the point: Good or bad experiences, good sources, applicaton information.

I'm dumb as a box of rocks when it come to this so any/all words of wisdom will be very appreciated...

Thanks in advance.

B

·
0 Posts
I'm thinking about trying Dyna Beads balancing instead of lead weights. Anyone have some sage advise for me....

Just a few questions to the point: Good or bad experiences, good sources, applicaton information.

I'm dumb as a box of rocks when it come to this so any/all words of wisdom will be very appreciated...

Thanks in advance.
You are in good company. There are some of those on this forum that down-play Dyna Beads. Primarily they are the ones who have not tried them. I like them, Use them, and Will Continue to use them. :thumbup: Others will chime in and give a better account of the Dyna Beads, I am sure.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
RideOn-it's also a sealant
Yes, I agree, Ride On is an excellent product, at least in my opinion. I'm not familiar with Dyna beads, so cannot comment on those.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I used Dyna Beads instead of weights on the front tire of my trike.It rode so much better that I did the same for the back tires.Again, more improvement! I believe in these beads.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Just for reference, I am not a Triker but do run the beads and have for quite awhile. That said, the dynabead company indicates you'd need 3 ounces of beads in your rear tires.

Before deciding to use the beads, centramatics or any other dynamic balancing products, check where the weights are on your current tires/wheels. Just for example, let's say you have a weight or two at one position on the rim. Then some 90 degrees or more away you have another weight (or, let's say you have a weight at the 3 O'clock position and then another weight at the 7 O'clock position). If you have a condition like this, with the weights spaced around the wheel, you likely have a "Lateral Imbalance" problem. None of the dynamic balancing products work well in a lateral imbalance condition (laws of physics says so).

I hope I have not confused you. It is hard for me to put it in writing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I use them in both bikes and wouldn't use anything else. Tire shops don't like to work on a wheel/tire combo thats had sealant put in it. Charley

·
Registered
658 Posts
I am usually skeptical about new fangled things but after reading the forum for several years I took the plunge and got dynabeads. I happen to have a dealer not far from me so it saved on shipping.

To back up a little I have always ran Dunlop tires and after hundreds miles and sometimes less I got the wobbles like most others. I changed to BS and just loved them. After a thousand miles I was getting a little wobble but not like before so then I added the dynabeads. Fast forward and I love them. Not only has my wobble never returned the bike runs smoother. Now some will say bull on the wobble but so far I have no wobble. So far no cupping of the tires after just over 5 thousand miles and they both look like new.

The installation of the beads only took less than a minute per tire. I think I will now continue to use them and personally thinking of using them on my truck and cars also.

The best advice i can give is try them for about 20 dollars. Thats a lot cheaper and easier to install then the centramatics which is quite costly to do the same thing. Balance a tire. Be your own judge.

good luck and safe motoring:doorag:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I am usually skeptical about new fangled things but after reading the forum for several years I took the plunge and got dynabeads. I happen to have a dealer not far from me so it saved on shipping.

To back up a little I have always ran Dunlop tires and after hundreds miles and sometimes less I got the wobbles like most others. I changed to BS and just loved them. After a thousand miles I was getting a little wobble but not like before so then I added the dynabeads. Fast forward and I love them. Not only has my wobble never returned the bike runs smoother. Now some will say bull on the wobble but so far I have no wobble. So far no cupping of the tires after just over 5 thousand miles and they both look like new.

The installation of the beads only took less than a minute per tire. I think I will now continue to use them and personally thinking of using them on my truck and cars also.

The best advice i can give is try them for about 20 dollars. Thats a lot cheaper and easier to install then the centramatics which is quite costly to do the same thing. Balance a tire. Be your own judge.

good luck and safe motoring:doorag:
Have to agree totally! Have almost 10,000 miles on my tire and they still look new ans no wobbles.

Have ran Ride on in several sets of tires. Good stuff but didn't balance my tires like the beads.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Been using them for 4 years and no problems front and rear. :yes1:

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
"...the dynabead company indicates you'd need 3 ounces of beads in your rear tires." I have asked this question before. How can a company make such a blanket statement with confidence? The 'beads' flow freely/roll around inside the tire, right? TIA

I agree that sometimes the heavy parts are in more than one place. My understanding is that 'dynamic balance (wheel/tire) is a process rather than a product.

Just for reference, I am not a Triker but do run the beads and have for quite awhile. That said, the dynabead company indicates you'd need 3 ounces of beads in your rear tires.

Before deciding to use the beads, centramatics or any other dynamic balancing products, check where the weights are on your current tires/wheels. Just for example, let's say you have a weight or two at one position on the rim. Then some 90 degrees or more away you have another weight (or, let's say you have a weight at the 3 O'clock position and then another weight at the 7 O'clock position). If you have a condition like this, with the weights spaced around the wheel, you likely have a "Lateral Imbalance" problem. None of the dynamic balancing products work well in a lateral imbalance condition (laws of physics says so).

I hope I have not confused you. It is hard for me to put it in writing.

Good luck.

·
Canuck
2,843 Posts

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
"...the dynabead company indicates you'd need 3 ounces of beads in your rear tires." I have asked this question before. How can a company make such a blanket statement with confidence? The 'beads' flow freely/roll around inside the tire, right? TIA

The dynabead company (Innovative Balancing) specifies the amount of beads based on tire size. Go to their website.

I agree that sometimes the heavy parts are in more than one place. My understanding is that 'dynamic balance (wheel/tire) is a process rather than a product.

We are talking semantics here. When you take a tire to a shop it can be "Statically Balanced" or "Dynamically Balanced". However, regardless of the method used, once the weights are placed on the wheel, they are in fact static...meaning they are not going to move. The beads on the other hand work in a dynamic fashion in that they move, and change position, based on the movement of the unbalanced tire/wheel.
:thumbup:

B

·
0 Posts
Travelinlite has a good handle on the Balancing thing. Also might add as the tire wears, from cupping or what have you. The weights don't move unless they fall off and they don't compensate for the tire change. Where as the Beads are always compensating for any change. No need for paying for a lost/compensation balance with the beads.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I use them in both bikes and wouldn't use anything else. Tire shops don't like to work on a wheel/tire combo thats had sealant put in it. Charley
You are correct if that sealant is Slime. There is no problem w/RideOn, if there is any clean up needed, water will do the job. In my years of use, RideOn coats the inside of the tire opposite the outside "working" part and stays there. There is no mess removing the old tires!
The only resaon I keep mentioning RideOn when these posts come up is because it is a sealant besides a balancer.
Why not have both working for you for less money?
There may be a comment about plugs not staying in using RideOn. The answer is the word Sealant, one doesn't need plugs w/it.

B

·
0 Posts
Travelinlite has a good handle on the Balancing thing. Also might add as the tire wears, from cupping or what have you. The weights don't move unless they fall off and they don't compensate for the tire change. Where as the Beads are always compensating for any change. No need for paying for a lost/compensation balance with the beads.
Just wanted to add a little PS

PS Dyna Beads are also reusable, no need to buy more slime or sealent. Also no cleanup.

PPSS How many of you have had Flat Tires on your Trike? Not counting the valve stem.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have over 140,000 miles on 1800 trikes. I had only used regular weight balancing until my last Bridgestone 45. Every tire before the last one had cupped to some degree. I had the dealer put Dynabeads in and after 11,000 miles it has no bounce or vibration and is smoth as a babies butt.
Old Fred

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
With so many passionate testimonials, I am amazed that tire stores haven't thrown away their static and dynamic balancing equipment and fired the techs. A porter could slip in a bag of beads... :popcorn:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts