GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just was wondering, what kind did you buy or would you buy if you were in the market for one. I had a Canon powershot pro1 was my last model.

Some features I would like:

• Some anti shake when taking picture
    time stamp on photos
    8 megapixels or better
    ability to resave photo after been changes done in camera
    a flip out screen to help protect it when not in use and take pictures of crowds and such.

What brand/model would you purchase? Which ones would you stay away from?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
PC Magazine just did a story on Digital cameras....point and shoot type. The Canon Powershot S80 was on top($550 list), followed by the Canon
SD550 ($450 list), and the Fuji Finpix E900 ($500 street).
8mp, 7.1mp, and 9mp respectively. Koday Easyshare was close ($350 direct), it's 5mp. Pick up a copy of the mag...might be a bit helpful.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I just got a Canon SD700 IS

So far I like it very much, IS is for Image Stabalization ( spelling)

It's only 6MP, but that's more than I'll ever need....4X zoom also

·
Registered
311 Posts
The Canon S2 IS and S3 IS both have flip out screens. On the wing I usually take my SD700 IS, fits in the front pockets very nicely. the S2 & S3 are 12X zoom, the SD700 is 4X optical zoom.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
DPreview.com
stevesdigicam.com

If shutter lag is a concern than, to my knowledge, you won't get a good one in the point and shoot world.

My next camera will be the Canon Rebel XTi. Really fast startup, focus and shutter lag for catching that fleeting moment you can't wit a P&S.

I currently have a Canon G5 which has a flip and rotate viewing screen which is a great feature for getting shots otherwise hard to get.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought a Canon Powershot A630, and love the thing. It's an 8 megapixel camera with a load of features. Best part is that it fits perfectly in either of the glove boxes on the bike.

For $250-$300, you just can't beat it.

Brian

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have been doing this for quite some time as well. I generally use Roxio, as it will let you set up the program in advanced settings to detect a pause, and when it does it creates a new track. Works really well most of the time. You have to enable the feature and set how long of a pause you would like before it creates the new track.

Willy

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I picked up a Canon PowerShot A530 5MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom at Amazon.com for under $160.

I have had Fuji Finepix and Sony - the Canon is the best by far and since I'm not making 8 x 10 pictures 5 mp is plenty.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
My wife and I got the Canon 20D. I had 35mm SLR lenses and this is able to use all that I had for my Elan. If you have photo situatiuons that require the picture to take the instant the shutter button is pushed, be sure to look at this if your needs are the same.
Also keep in mind the SLR cameras are not small.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rinkopr said:
My wife and I got the Canon 20D. I had 35mm SLR lenses and this is able to use all that I had for my Elan. If you have photo situatiuons that require the picture to take the instant the shutter button is pushed, be sure to look at this if your needs are the same.
Also keep in mind the SLR cameras are not small.
I want the ability to take pictures on an instant, without the blur. I was getting ready to attempt and learn the manual settings, but never have. But also to be able to take the easy point and shoot kind, if that is the way I want it then. I thought about getting an slr camera, as my old camera was not the smallest to carry around by any means. But that is probably the one thing I did not like about it, but at the same time it is what I am use to.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Steve,

You will be happy with any of the SLR Digital amd with some of the shutter speeds up to 3200th you won't get blur unless there isn't enough light. As for ease, in the auto mode, even I can take god pictures.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I have the Kodak Easyshare P850. Got lots of zoom options to 12x plus gigital zooms. Has all the shutter and apperture dominant(can't think of the correct word here) features. Tons of different setting for a wide variaty of situations. Has "image stabilizer" too. Battery lasts a long time and is re-chargable. 5.1 MP. Easy to download to PC. We used it on our roadtrip a few weeks ago, and took shots while riding. They came out nice.
Costs about 300 or less. We really like it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Camera's

I currently have Olympus C750Uz . It’s quite rugged and seems to be a good camera.

If I get another I’ll probably get the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 or the DMC-FZ50 (latest version)
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panas ... _pfv.shtml

A good site to read about different camera’s is The Digital Cameras Resource Page.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

BTW… If anyone still wants to do “Film Photography” I have a very good Film type SLR I’ll let go for a real good price.
Olympus IS-3dlx with a 35 – 180 mm lens
Also an Olympus IS/L lens 300mm ( extends the standard lens to 300mm tele.
Also an Olympus IS/L lens B-Macro ( Close-up )
Also an assortment of Coken filters and holder.
All manuals for above.
Let go to a good home for $125.00
This camera is in like new condition.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Right at the top of the list of point and shoot cameras with 8 Megapixils or more "at this moment" is the Canon PowerShot S80. You can find some pretty good buys on this model through the internet right now too.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_PowerShot_S80/4505-6501_7-31475440.html?tag=lst

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082205canons80.asp

Of course, another option that looks pretty hot to me right now is the Nikon D80.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Nikon_D80/4505-6501_7-32004258.html

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/

DaleC

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I've been into photography for a long time now and have lots of gear, for a really nice point and shoot you just can't beat the Olympus Stylus 800, it's 8 meg-pix and pictures are incredible blown up very very nice little camera i take it everywhere I go, I'd say stay away from nikon point and shoot's actually there cust. service is terrible

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I have an Olympus D 535 that eats batteries. About the only thing that works in it are the high-dollar lithium cells. Even my good high-current NiMH cells don't work in it. This started, of course, after it went out of warranty.

I watch eBay and buy old Toshiba M65's for about 15 bucks each and love them. I have one now (and a dead M61 that I bought new in 2000) and I'm looking for another. It is a bit large, and uses four AA cells, but will use them for over a hundred shots before they give out. Although they need proprietary software and cable for download, I have it and will keep replacing the camera when they die. They have wonderful macro capabilities, and I have quite often been complimented for the shots they take - and I'm NOT a good photographer!

I'm lucky to get 5 shots out of a pair of brand new Duracells in the Olympus. I can get about 35 from the Lithium cells, but they are about $7 a pair.

They are both slow, but the Olympus is slower than the Toshiba.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts