GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We used my phone to record some video last year, this year we're looking to put something a bit better on the bike. My budget is limited, so a super spiffy pro unit is out of the question, but I don't want total junk either. I've looked at several inexpensive digital camcorders, which would probably be fine for my purposes, $40 or $50. These may be boarder line junk, but at that price worth a try. Then there's GoPro's. I can pick one up, used, on eBay for under a hundred bucks. The GoPro's also appear to be a bit more weather resistant, so that's a plus.

For those of you that do video from the Wing, what units have you used? How were your results? When editing, which was more user friendly? And, what editing software do you use or recommend?

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
301 Posts
We used my phone to record some video last year, this year we're looking to put something a bit better on the bike. My budget is limited, so a super spiffy pro unit is out of the question, but I don't want total junk either. .
Hi
I've been using an ION Sport Cam (two, actually) for the last 9 years. Never have had a problem; never have had any battery issues or weather incursions. The camera's are waterproof to a depth of 9 feet so if you find yourself in that situation you've done something terribly wrong with your bike.:grin2:

I've used most of the high dollar/low dollar models and it's usually not the camera that makes the difference but the mount. You didn't say what year Wing/bike you ride but I've had the best success with handlebar mounts until the current 2018 Wing which has few simple mount points. One of our members has come up with an excellent windshield/wind wing clamp mount that can be used without interference with the electric windshield..

For video editing I use the Sony's Vegas Movie Studio Platinum (now offered by Magix) and Cyberlink's Power Director suite's. There are some freebie software suites available but I like the audio and special effect features of both the Magix and Cyberlink.

The current model ION that I use has been faithfully churning out HD video for 7 years and shows no sign of letting up. Because I'm cheap I found a refurbished model and it set me back $29:wink2:

One of ION's big advantages is that it operates with a simple top access slide switch that you can move while wearing riding gloves. No teeny pushbuttons. Push forward to record; push back to stop. Easy-peasy.

Good luck with your due diligence.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Fenry, thanks for the info. My Wing is a 2003, the mount is the one from our friend, Yoda, and the camera's I've been looking at look very similar to what you have there. How do you view what you're recording? Can you link it to you phone?

Capt. Bob, thanks for the link, good information there.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
11 Posts
We used my phone to record some video last year, this year we're looking to put something a bit better on the bike. My budget is limited, so a super spiffy pro unit is out of the question, but I don't want total junk either. .
Hi
I've been using an ION Sport Cam (two, actually) for the last 9 years. Never have had a problem; never have had any battery issues or weather incursions. The camera's are waterproof to a depth of 9 feet so if you find yourself in that situation you've done something terribly wrong with your bike./forums/images/GL1800riders_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png

I've used most of the high dollar/low dollar models and it's usually not the camera that makes the difference but the mount. You didn't say what year Wing/bike you ride but I've had the best success with handlebar mounts until the current 2018 Wing which has few simple mount points. One of our members has come up with an excellent windshield/wind wing clamp mount that can be used without interference with the electric windshield..

For video editing I use the Sony's Vegas Movie Studio Platinum (now offered by Magix) and Cyberlink's Power Director suite's. There are some freebie software suites available but I like the audio and special effect features of both the Magix and Cyberlink.

The current model ION that I use has been faithfully churning out HD video for 7 years and shows no sign of letting up. Because I'm cheap I found a refurbished model and it set me back $29/forums/images/GL1800riders_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png

One of ION's big advantages is that it operates with a simple top access slide switch that you can move while wearing riding gloves. No teeny pushbuttons. Push forward to record; push back to stop. Easy-peasy.

Good luck with your due diligence./forums/images/GL1800riders_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png

I second the vote.
I have 4. Battery life gets a little short with age. But, I got my last one for $12.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Fenry, thanks for the info. My Wing is a 2003, the mount is the one from our friend, Yoda, and the camera's I've been looking at look very similar to what you have there. How do you view what you're recording? Can you link it to you phone?
ION makes a few variants of their cameras, a couple of which have a wifi capability. I have never used one with that feature (cost for that unit new was around $150 a few years back). With that capability you can upload your raw video to any compatible device (phone/tablet/pc etc). I have a motorcycle friend who has it (including remote control) and he's only used the wifi function a few times in the last 6 years. He's mentioned ruefully that he wished he'd stayed with my basic model and saved the $$:laugh:

In any event, the only way to see what you've harvested (with my basic model) is to upload to another device with screen viewing capability. ION records raw video in Apple Quicktime so if you're using something like a Windows media viewer you won't hear the audio. You'll need to move the video file to your editing suite or open it with Quicktime/compatible. You don't need to remove the micro sdhc card; a USB cable to your end use device is fine.

I've never worried much about what I'm recording because the field of view for all sport cams is "fisheye"--160 degrees or more. The video capture is about as wide as the buckshot pattern from a sawed off shotgun at 200 yards:grin2: Once I've taken a few short rides and viewed the results it's pretty easy to find a mount angle that will capture what I need it to. From that point on I never worry about it; just push the slide switch and let it run.

I've been making my own ride videos for a long time and one of the most interesting conclusions I've come to is that long videos of motorcycles repetitively leaning into curves become incredibly boring in a very short time...even to people who enjoy riding. I admit to being enthralled at Yellow Wolf videos on the tail of the Dragon the first couple of times I saw them, but after that....not so much. I like interspersing short video clips with still shots in a final production dvd and I always carry a prosumer level PHS (Push Here Stupid) camera with me, either a Nikon or Canon. The 5mp resolution on my $5 Tracfone camera (what can I say? I'm old:crying:) is fun but not award winning:grin2:

I mention this because I've known a fair number of folks who have gone whole hog on sport cameras and massive 128gb storage cards and wifi and, and, and....have never produced a single shared video. I'd rather put the $$ into tires and oil changes than any system that rivals MGM studio setups and still can't rival my $29 cheapo:wink2:

Sorry for the epistle.

Good luck with your due diligence and remember above all else to carry a little lens cleaner and a few scraps of old cotton t-shirt. Nothing ruins an irreplaceable ride video like a little road oil or a suicidal bug on that tiny lens....:surprise:

Ride safe

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I’ve got 2 Activeon Gold+ and an ION. I had Gopro’s but couldn’t stand how they functioned, so I got the Activeon’s that did more for less money.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
<...>I've been making my own ride videos for a long time and one of the most interesting conclusions I've come to is that long videos of motorcycles repetitively leaning into curves become incredibly boring in a very short time...even to people who enjoy riding. I admit to being enthralled at Yellow Wolf videos on the tail of the Dragon the first couple of times I saw them, but after that....not so much.<...>
THIS THIS - A THOUSAND TIMES THIS! :grin2:

Yeah, ya gotta share it - or it's a lot of effort (time, money, whatever...) for nothing.

GoPro's take fantastic video; audio sucks BADLY! with built-in microphones. To do it right means a second audio recorder (only) to capture the sound - not the wind noise.

Mine turn into stop action movies instead. A thousand mile ride can be told much easier in seven minutes - but, even then, it can sometimes be too long.

EDIT: Remember that the point of the camera is to get what it can about a ride, I mean, unless you're getting paid for those images. So, yeah, I may have a couple of errors or omissions, the fact I got most of the trip recorded is what matters.

Just some things to consider.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked out my new camera mount today. These are awesome! For now, I installed my little Vivitar just to play with it, but have one of the ION camera's ordered up for riding season. I'll run the ION up front, but I'm thinking about setting up the Vivitar for Leslie to run from the rear seat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts