GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would we say that 50% or more riding do their own wrenching on their GL1800??

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I do my own, I enjoy doing it and I'm pretty good at it. Also I hate spending major dollars for repairs or maintenance I could of done myself. T.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
All according to what you call wrenching. Accessories or real mechanical/electrical work? I try to do all I can and stay away from the dealers and their labor rates on all types of work.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You could also say 100% or 0% but nobody has done a poll to ask that question so I would say I don't have enough information to make a claim like that. :D

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I just don't trust hardly any mechanic to touch My bikes, years ago I got a bit lazy and let a couple shops do some stuff when I did the next tune-ups I saw stuff wasn't done that I paid for ,just won't ever get lazy again, now days for warranty work I ask the shop owner does He send his guys to school and ask to see their certs. if they don't have them they can't do My warranty work, most shops just don't seem to want to spend the time and money for properly trained mechanic's it's a real shame if You ask Me, nope all My own work unless warranty

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
So far except for an intermittent no start, I've done all of my own including a change of tires. Have 15600miles and not sure I will do the valve check when it comes around.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I do all my own electrical and "light" wrench work. There are some things I just don't have the time or experience to get into like adjusting valves or replacing tires.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I do all my own work on my bikes and cars except R&R tires. I HATE WRENCHING!!!
But I hate letting someone else touch my bikes and cars more. :(

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
I used to do all of my own work. It wasn't unusual for me to take the 'weekend' (thats for whatever days I had off in a row, which was rarely SAT SUN.) to do major surgery. Nowadays I will usually do my own oil changes and light inspections. (Read visual looksees to see if anything is out of whack.) Stuff like checking the valves, torquing the steering, anything involving taking excessive amounts of tupperware off, faggedaboutit.

Although my recent experience with the dealer is making me rethink the whole thing.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it's not under warranty, and I CAN do it; then I do it. Depends on how serious it is.

·
Registered
836 Posts
So far I am because of all the info I have found on this site. Did the same with my old Nomad. Even changing my own tires. I don't like to be under the mercy of a dealer because it can be weeks before you get your bike back.

I will continue to do so unless I get into something that is under warranty. I am also making sure I keep every receipt for everything used on maintenance so the warranty will stick.

DJ

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
centerpunch said:
I don't like to be under the mercy of a dealer because it can be weeks before you get your bike back.
Not So......... the longest I left mine at a dealer was for the frame weld......4 days.

Other maintence:

Replace both front and back tires.....waited
Replace clutch and brake fluid..........waited
Replaced trunk latch.........................waited

·
Registered
931 Posts
I do all the stuff I know how to do and have the tools to do. Fred's DVD has been invaluable for its "tips" and even enabling me to do more than I might have otherwise.

I've never changed tires on a rim and probably won't invest in the tools to do so. Besides, I figure it doesn't hurt to maintain some sort of relationship with a dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts