GL1800Riders Forums banner

Do you do your own wrenching on your GL1800?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Depends on how major and if it is covered under warranty

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you do your own wrenching on your GL1800? I mean minor and major repairs.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Most maintenance items I will do myself....oil changes....air filter when its time.....pull the tires for changes and carry to the dealer.....brake pads.

Now.....valve adjustments....it may go to the dealer for that service.

RRP

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
If it's warranty or engine/tranny teardown, I'll take it in. Otherwise, I'll do it.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
WOW! At this point, 35% of the respondents do ALL of their own wrenching? Let this poll run awhile so we hear from some of the "non-mechanics." :wink:

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Hello I do all of mine except warranty !!! & heck I do some of those..chuck

·
Registered
578 Posts
Why pay a Dealer big bucks to screw up your ride when you can screw it up yourself for free?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Been wrenching on bikes for 46 years (BSA, Triumph, Nortons, Harleys, Bultaco, Ducati, Royal Enfield and Honda). From chain adjustments to full engine and tranny teardown. I'm still at a loss on electrics and computers though. Remember those @*!+*%$# Lucas electrics on the Brit bikes?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I wish I could trust the dealers, but I can't. The kids they have working there haven't even been to school! I bought a front tire from them and it took the kid 4 hours to change it. That is the only work a dealer has ever done on one of my bikes in 45 years of riding. And the last work too.

MotorcycleBoy said:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I do all of my own work. If I had a warranty issue I would try and work with a local dealer for the parts and use of special tools and still do my own work. I am sorry but I think the dealer environment has too many issues that prevent them from doing the type of job that I want done. (Pay level too low to attract and keep good people, too much emphasis on fast turn around, no parts on hand, pressure to charge for work not done) I have read about too many bad experiences on this list to feel secure that a dealer would do the job right. Even if I have my tires changed by a dealer (always off the bike) I have them inspect my rims and rotors when I give them the wheels. Paranoid? Maybe. I have actually considered opening a Gold Wing service shop but I don't want to be tied down to a business. I also mentioned this to a dealer and told him that I thought the clientele would be more inclined to want a good job then the owners of some other type bike types. His comment was that the Gold Wing riders were the biggest whiners and the cheapest of all. (His comment, not mine)This dealer was not in the state where I reside now. I actually feel sorry and concerned for those who cannot do their own maintenance such as valve adjustments and less technical items.
But on the flip side I feel that a $70 per hour labor charge at a well equipped shop with good mechanics is a fair rate when you consider today's costs including environmental regulations, insurance requirements, etc.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The only thing I have done at the shop is put new rubber on.
That may change if a big project presents itself. I have a day job and I would rather ride with my off time that wrench on my bike. If I can start a finish a job in 6 hours, I will probably do it myself.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Minor, on all of my GOODY'S, Warrenty goes to them! Minor involving Warrenty, Goes to them!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
k7lvo said:
WOW! At this point, 35% of the respondents do ALL of their own wrenching? Let this poll run awhile so we hear from some of the "non-mechanics." :wink:
What the hey, I will respond. When you mention the "non-mechanic," I must be the poster child (perhaps I should say "old fart"). I will attempt minor stuff. Have only been riding about 15 1/2 mos, first 13 on an 05 VTX 1300. I am 67 and have never had much exposure to doing mechanical work so don't have any experience. I would not want to screw things up to the extent it would affect the operation of the bike. Maybe more importantly, I lack an understanding of what things are or how they work, .

I sorely regret that I am not mechanically or electrically skilled. We all know how expensive it is to have work done by the dealership. There is also a lot of skepticism about the quality of work done by the dealership. Sorry to say that I do not have much other choice as I see it.

I have bought the Honda Service Manual as well as Fred's DVD's hoping that might save me some money. I recently purchased a fuse block from EC and while reading the install instructions yesterday, I felt lost. The directions speak of things that are foreign to me. It really makes it difficult to do things myself. I also regret that I have not hooked up with anyone else that does his/her own work that might be helpful. Besides, it is difficult to ask others to take their valuable time from riding or family to do my work or teach me how to do it myself. Then, there is the possible lack of tools issue.

Am I embarassed about this? You DAMN straight I am. However, I feel at a loss as to what to do about it. I envy (no I did not say covet) those of you that can do your own work. Sure wish I could do more (maybe I should say some :roll: ). Mind you, this is not a complaint, but just an explanation of why I believe I am unable to do my own work. :(

I tend to doubt that many others will admit to or want to share their shortcomings about doing their own wrenching. Well, there is it, be it good or bad. Any helpful suggestions from anyone???

Thanks,

Todd

T

·
0 Posts
I do all my service work plus any add-ons I buy and any warrenty work goes to dealer, very well trained and really look after there customers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I do all my Own work so far. I'm at 20,000 miles. Oil changes, Add ons, When my tires are due again I will probubly pull them off myself and take them down. When I'm in doubt about anything , I have learned to go to this board and just ask, Very intelligent people. (I hope I didn't start anything)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Ooops - I should have read more - I answered as if there were only two options - wrench or no. My vote should have been the last option - depends.

Ken

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
MotorcycleBoy said:
How would I be able to answer your poll?
My GL has never needed any major repair. I change oil and one time the tape that the windshield goes up and down on crept out of position.
Mine was built on Wednessday mid morning! IT IS PERFICT!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would not do any major engine/transmission work involving a teardown, but I do complete normal service items. I have an inherent distrust of my dealer and would prefer not to have them ever touch my bike.
Too many horror stories and I've witnessed a couple of them!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Jobber Jim wrote:
Remember those @*!+*%$# Lucas electrics on the Brit bikes?
Yes, I remember. I had a used Triumph Bonneville 650 in the early 70's. I loved it when it ran, but when it didn't, it was usually because of the Lucas wiring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts