GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the Roll a Home for sale,and someone who has committed to buying it next week, so won't be doing any moto camping any time soon.

After four years,I've decided that although I like camping in the Roll a Home,I don't enjoy always enjoy towing it. It tows really well,and I feel safe with it,but it takes away some of the pleasure of riding some of the back roads taken to get to the good camping spots.

Plus,since I work all summer out of state,we often end up camping in less than perfect weather,and Gen doesn't like cooking outside,and is not happy if we have to fight rain or cold weather.
I do have the gear to take some solo moto camping rides,but don't see myself doing that too much.

Recently the family car was totaled (no injuries) and we have replaced it with a truck. I'm looking for a full size camp trailer,so may still cross paths with some of you and will stop and say hi if I see you in a campground.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Good luck with your change, Jeff.

You might consider a pop up trailer. They tow easier than a full-size trailer and they are just as comfortable. They are not that much work to set up and costs a whole lot less.

I bought a 5 person pop up and drove my family of 7 across the US to New York and back a few years ago and between the van and the trailer we never had a problem. We tended to stay at KOA for the shower but most pop ups today have a shower. We slept in it in a HEAVY rain storm (funnel clouds were spotted) in Omaha and we stayed dryer than some people in a leaky motorhome in New York.

I bought mine used for $2400 from a rental place. It was 3 years old. Paid for itself in that three week trip. Have had it for 14 years since then.

Lots of pluses and few minuses but the pluses far out weighed the minuses. YMMV!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Consider a toy hauler, so you can take the Gold Wing with you.

You might want to consider a 5th wheel. They are easier to maneuver, safer to tow, and easier to hook up.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Consider a toy hauler, so you can take the Gold Wing with you.

You might want to consider a 5th wheel. They are easier to maneuver, safer to tow, and easier to hook up.
We have weighed all the options and I'm currently looking for a good used fifth wheel.
There are decent ones out there for pretty cheap. I am going to go look today at a 24' the guy is asking 5000 for.

Since use will be limited,I don't want to have a whole lot of money tied up.
I've been around RV's enough to know what to look for in used RV's,and been on the phone all morning today talking to people about fifth wheel hitches.
Sometime down the road,probably around retirement time,we will upgrade to a toy hauler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lance Camper if you don't moto camp...

Hi Jeff, I don't know what kind of truck you got, but you should also weigh the pros and cons of a cab-over style truck camper. Lance makes high quality units and I'm looking seriously at these for myself. http://www.lancecamper.com/truck-campers.php
I have the Lance 8.5' cabover and have loved it since 2001. Bought it new, and it has awesome interior features: furnace, three burner stove AND oven, shower/bathroom with sink, fridge and queen bed. Outdoor shower, too, with hot water, of course. I bought my 8' bed Dodge diesel just for that purpose, and have enjoyed it many nights.

I highly recommend the Lance.

aspenscamper.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts