GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody ... for those that like to read Road Trips stories with pictures I'm on another one ... this time Rushmore and Black Hills of South Dakota. If interested you can find this story and pictures by clicking my web page in my signature below and then going to the Road Trip link off the home page. Here is the direct link to this story if you want to go straight there ..

http://web.me.com/donnielewis/page6/page24/page24.html

Let's ride safe and enjoy it to the max out there ... I am

Donnie

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Donnie, Very nicely done, nice pictures and a great job on the web site. I rode that area 3 years ago and plan on going back again. Ride safe. Stanley

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I like Road Trip Stories plus your web page Donnie and am keeping the link.
Thanks for sharing and keep the pictures and all coming!
Ride safe out thar!:lol:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Thanks Donnie for your most excellent report. My son and I were there three years ago and stayed in Deadwood for 2 or 3 nights and used that as our hub in June. It's a great area with superior roads and wonderful sights, hope you can spend some time at Crazy Horse monument. We spent about 3 hours there and enjoyed every minute, what a story.

Keep the reports coming. THANKS!!!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
After retiring from the AF, I went to work for Lockheed Martin and ending up being transferred to Ellsworth AFB at Rapid City for almost 6 years. IMHO, the Black Hills area is the most beautiful area I've ever lived and is perfect for any outdoor sporting activity. Temps are mostly moderate year round. Yes, it can get brutally cold in the winter and just as brutally hot in the summer, but it is mostly moderate overall. If you've never been there, you must put the Black Hills of SD on your "bucket list" (minimum 10 days).

·
15 year Member
6,870 Posts
Hey Donnie!

Great photos and write up... Ride Safe!!

Matt(BCNV) :doorag:

·
Registered
417 Posts
I agree that is a fantastic area to ride. Lots of variety, from twisties to sweepers, and tons of beautiful scenery!

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
I spent a few week out there back in 2009..
.. I really want to go back and spend a few more weeks (months?) there.

Have you been to Rochford?....
"Best in the world" burger and fries at the Moonshine Gulch Saloon
.... one of kind and not to be missed.

There is only one paved road there, CR-205 off of 14A..
.. nice sweepers and hardly any traffic.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies and well wishes ... I finished off Badlands National Park today ... Awesome ... (Web site updated) and plan to head over to Wyoming tomorrow and check out Devils Tower and swing by Crazy Horse on the way back. Weather here has been outstanding with the exception of a few days!

Great suggestions by all and I'll be checking them out ... thanks again.

Donnie

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Great Pics and travelogue!:thumbup: You are in one of my favorite places in the world to ride... Don't know how long you will be there, but if you have time, check out our favorite ride...

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3241569&postcount=2

Sounded hokey when they first told us to do it, but it is a fun ride! wish I could get away, I'd come chase you around the hills...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Great write up. I wish I had your writing skills. Looking forward to more of your travels.:cool::cool:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
As always, Donnie, I'm enjoying your trip.

Be careful that you don't hold one of those alien's hands and don't ever come back.

Wishing you a close encounter of the great kind! Be safe!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More pics and stories

Hey everyone ... great day today ... just finished updating my web site with the story and pictures for today's adventure in the Black Hills and Wyoming.

Thanks to Dennis and Revrunt suggestions .... I’m going to use my last day tomorrow, Friday, for the following

Revrunt suggested --> Old Hill City/Keystone Road that crosses the 1880's train tracks nearly 15 times.

Dennis suggested --> Rochford?...."Best in the world" burger and fries at the Moonshine Gulch Saloon

Can't wait

Donnie

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Two years ago, my wife and I did a few days up in that area...

The weather was a bit less than optimal, but it was mid June, so I guess that was to be expected.

If you're still close in the area, ride over to Sturgis & check out the motorcycle museum - really cool place!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks

Donnie
We must have crossed paths at one point,in SD.We were staying in Hill City from Sept12-16, than headed for Yellowstone for five days.Great weather.By the way good write up and pics.

Barry
Ha ... we probably waved at each other and didn't even know it. Yellowstone is awesome hope you have a good trip and the weather continues to be good for you.

Finished up my last ride yesterday in Black Hills and we are heading back to Tennessee Sunday/Monday.

I did make it over to Rochford as Dennis recommended but was unable to catch up with the Train between Hill City and Keystone that Revrunt had recommended. Also didn't make it to the Motorcycle Museum in Sturgis which was also recommended.

Guess that leaves a lot to be done next year when we return.

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations and comments .... Web site updated.

Donnie

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This Road Trip is over

Made it home safely to Dover, Tennessee last evening. Great Road Trip to the South Dakota Black Hills area ... Great Weather ... Great Riding ... Great to be home safe. Thanks for all the comments and recommendations in this thread.

My Web site has been updated.

Will post again here when I hit the road next time

Donnie

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Thank you for sharing your travels. I read your entire website and enjoyed it very much.

It appears that on most of your travels you are two up. While I don't ride nearly as much as you when I do travel I am always two up as well (that's why I got a Wing). I also notice you don't pull a trailer?....I would be interested in knowing how you and your wife pack for a multi-day trip.

Thanks again for your posts,
Dan

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for sharing your travels. I read your entire website and enjoyed it very much.

It appears that on most of your travels you are two up. While I don't ride nearly as much as you when I do travel I am always two up as well (that's why I got a Wing). I also notice you don't pull a trailer?....I would be interested in knowing how you and your wife pack for a multi-day trip.

Thanks again for your posts,
Dan
Thanks ... glad you enjoyed the web site.

I think it's about 60/40 Solo/Dual for me. My wife used to go all the time with me on Road Trips on the Wing but more recently has become less of a fan of staying on the road traveling by bike as much as I would like. The good thing is she's knows my addiction to riding all to well and has no problem letting me take off on Road Trips solo when she decides not to go along.

I don't pull a trailer although I've often though I should get one. There's just something about having everything I need right there on the Wing that I love. When solo ... no problem carrying what I want. I sometimes even use the back seat of the Wing to carry extra stuff but usually the side bags and trunk are enough when I'm by myself. With the wife along it's a different story although we always seem to manage. I have a Kuryakyn soft luggage bag that fits on top of the rear trunk that works great and there is no room to spare anywhere else. We just pack extremely light and wash clothes little more frequently. We even manage to bring both laptops with us as well. It's a tight squeeze but it's been working fine for us for over 7+ years and 232,000 miles. Ha ... It also cuts down on her shopping on the road (except for small stuff we can fit) as my excuse is we can't carry all what she wants to buy back on the bike :)

Donnie

1 - 20 of 21 Posts