GL1800Riders Forums banner

561 - 580 of 613 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Update

I’m extremely excited this morning and thankful for having what I consider a major accomplishment for me during my stroke recovery. For over a year it seems like my right hand was dead and today I was able to for the first time to extend in out for a hand shake and my fingers actually open up instead of remaining clinched up the way it had been. I can actually shake hands now! People don’t have to shake a clenched fist any more. I know it seems trivial but I was so moved I cried uncontrollably … my wife join me. Of course, I dropped to the floor and praised God for this encouraging news. Amazing … why is this little task so important to me.

Unless you’ve experience a stoke yourself or been around someone who has you can’t imagine the pain and disappointment it inflicts on your life. I’ve said this before … last year … was the toughest year of my 68 years so far. This gives me so much hope going forward I can’t explain the hope it gives my heart. Without hope we have nothing. I miss riding the Wing soooo much and writing this with one hand is very tedious but this news gives me grand hope. The endless hours of exercises, physical therapy, hobbling around, being confused about the simplest of things, dizziness, speaking correctly, wearing things around my leg and arm … I could go on and on with the struggles that have to be overcome. Today I rejoice with this simple pleasure of extending a handshake … one that most of you take granted. It is huge for me …

I can now extend a handshake to each and everyone of you that have participated in this forum thread and have been encouraging me along. I hope to do so some time later this year. You all have been great! Your comments have lifted me through some dark times but my journey is far from over.

I’m still committed to trying my first ride in 2020. I know the road is still very very long and extremely slow but I’m on the right road and I going to travel it to its destination. I’m not just going to ride …. I’m going to RIDE!

God willing .. I look forward to shaking your hand … time to exercise now the journey continues ..

I can do this … I will do this … Thank you for listening and caring for others that’s what it is all about.

Donnie

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Congratulations on a giant step forward with the movement of your right hand and by no means is it trivial. It's the result of a year of hard work on your part and I'm sure I speak for everyone on the forum who is following your journey, :congrats:.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
You got yourself an early Christmas present miracle, Donnie! Yep, you'll be gripping the throttle with your right hand and taking pictures with your left while scraping metal in the curves before you know it! Just like before... >:)

Can't wait to ride out to Tennessee and shake your hand! :wink2:

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
DONNIE!!!!

:yes: :biker: :clap2:

We’ve always hoped with you! Now we get to rejoice with you!!!

Hoping is AWESOME! REJOICING is BETTER!

Chasing Arkansas chickens with you will be the BEST!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Well Donnie it’s been quite a while any updates on your recovery ?
Mike .. Thanks .. Yes it has

Truth is I’m far from optimistic and up beat about having suffered a stroke and the subsequent journey I have been on ever since. I normally give an update monthly but it's been a rough couple of months. Certainly, a stroke is nothing to be cheery about but it’s mainly about the recovery that has me down despite my positive comments on the forum through out the year and my general attitude else where. I try desperately to emulate putting my best foot forward. I want to be brave when faced with adversity but I’am not always that way. Funny thing about stroke is that it doesn't replace all your problems in your life that were there before the stroke. It's a huge problem to add to a persons life but it just goes in the mix of what life gives you …. gives all of us .. in my case before I suffered from stroke it was ...

Depression .. It was in my life even before the stroke. I wrote this from my personal journal entry from Sept 7' 2012 — 6 years ago —

Link
Depression was always there in one form or another in my life. Ironically, now that I have a reason to be depressed it doesn't make it somehow better. There must be a reason I figured but I have found instead its simply the mind working overtime and doing crappy work too! I know there are millions who suffer from depression and it is all to real. I have to deal with the stroke and its companion depression. You too face these multitude of life challenges. We all have our obstacles and things thrown at us. We try each day to be positive but sometimes we buckle and the future looks bleaker that it truly is.

“Depression is the inability to construct a future” … May, Rollo.

That seems to fit me to a tee. That's the way forward but building that positive future in your mind first is so tough. It's probably tough for you too. I'm just a player in life just like you. Sometime we get behind in life but we don't quit playing.

I saw my Doctor yesterday and we've decided I should continue the depression and anxiety meds. I had wanted to stop them but acquiesced. I still have the lightheadness, and have notice it pick up some. Wearing the gear (Bioness) as prescribed on right leg and arm. I can walk (waddle) 2 miles in about 2 hours with stops here and there. I realize now my thinking is impaired. Confuse easily. Can't remember stuff. Feel my body has aged 5+ years. At the rate I'm going it seems like it may be years before I can ride again.

I'll make it through .. and so will you.

I'll try to check in more often.

Donnie

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #573
Thanks Donnie for the insights into what is going on with you.

My thoughts when reading all this ... a lesser person would have completely collapsed under the pressure of what you are having to deal with.

Keep moving forward buddy!!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Donnie lots of us are still praying for you most every day. We can not realise how hard this is for you. We all know it is not easy but I feel you are an inspiration to others with major health problems. You determination to get threw this helps to set goals for others. Thank you for just being the strong and open hearted person that you are.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Praise God Donnie, that is great news and is evidence of good things to come. Keep the faith and keep up the hard work. I can't even imagine what you have gone through, but I've been removed from riding for a two month period and that has been enough trial for me (still two weeks to go). I'm really looking forward to meeting you on the road again! Still praying for you.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Donnie,
I also want to encourage you to hang in there! As you well know life can be rollin along and then...........I pray that the Lord will give you clarity of mind and His Peace that passes all understanding! Love you my friend!
Michael

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
As always Donnie prayers continue to be sent your way and I truly admire your determination in your fight to a full recovery

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
THAT was a hard one to read, stopped a few times, Donnie, you are not alone, until you are, don’t go there!! Talk to anybody that will listen. Yup, even here. The big D has taken too many of my friends already, it can try to take all of us if we give in and go with it. Don’t go. Stay, we need you!! Take the meds if you need to, but know that we are all pulling for you, and want to follow YOU on a ride in sun, on nice clear, warm day. Someday-no hurry. Hang in there buddy, we’d all come and help anyway we can, if we could. Know that. Praying for you.

561 - 580 of 613 Posts