GL1800Riders Forums banner

581 - 600 of 651 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Mike .. Thanks .. Yes it has

Truth is I’m far from optimistic and up beat about having suffered a stroke and the subsequent journey I have been on ever since. I normally give an update monthly but it's been a rough couple of months. Certainly, a stroke is nothing to be cheery about but it’s mainly about the recovery that has me down despite my positive comments on the forum through out the year and my general attitude else where. I try desperately to emulate putting my best foot forward. I want to be brave when faced with adversity but I’am not always that way. Funny thing about stroke is that it doesn't replace all your problems in your life that were there before the stroke. It's a huge problem to add to a persons life but it just goes in the mix of what life gives you …. gives all of us .. in my case before I suffered from stroke it was ...

Depression .. It was in my life even before the stroke. I wrote this from my personal journal entry from Sept 7' 2012 — 6 years ago —

Link
Depression was always there in one form or another in my life. Ironically, now that I have a reason to be depressed it doesn't make it somehow better. There must be a reason I figured but I have found instead its simply the mind working overtime and doing crappy work too! I know there are millions who suffer from depression and it is all to real. I have to deal with the stroke and its companion depression. You too face these multitude of life challenges. We all have our obstacles and things thrown at us. We try each day to be positive but sometimes we buckle and the future looks bleaker that it truly is.

“Depression is the inability to construct a future” … May, Rollo.

That seems to fit me to a tee. That's the way forward but building that positive future in your mind first is so tough. It's probably tough for you too. I'm just a player in life just like you. Sometime we get behind in life but we don't quit playing.

I saw my Doctor yesterday and we've decided I should continue the depression and anxiety meds. I had wanted to stop them but acquiesced. I still have the lightheadness, and have notice it pick up some. Wearing the gear (Bioness) as prescribed on right leg and arm. I can walk (waddle) 2 miles in about 2 hours with stops here and there. I realize now my thinking is impaired. Confuse easily. Can't remember stuff. Feel my body has aged 5+ years. At the rate I'm going it seems like it may be years before I can ride again.

I'll make it through .. and so will you.

I'll try to check in more often.

Donnie
Hi Donnie my name is Don.
Your transparency regarding your current struggles is refreshing. It allows others to know how to pray for you. Even though I don't know you personally I felt the need to respond.
I lost my ability to work 5 years ago due to heart issues. 3 years ago I sold my Wing for the same reasons. I felt there was no future in riding for me and I saw no reason to keep it. Through faith and working with the doctors I find myself improving and was able to get another wing this last weekend. I'm currently surrounded by snow so haven't been able to ride yet but I will. Don't give up because none of us know what the future holds. As long as there is tomorrow there is opportunity for improvement.
God bless.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Each of you is right and your advice and support is very much appreciated. I treasure each comment here more than you know.

Depression affects us all at some point in our lives and it is very nice to have that positive support here for me during this stroke recovery process in my life. I recommit my efforts every day in hope that maybe this year I can approach riding again but its easy to wish for things that seem impossible that it is to doing them. I'll not lose hope, but continue to try my best. I will continue to be as open as I can and write honestly about my experiences. Nobody likes to read about Depression and Struggles but life is not so accommodating sometimes. I will always share how I feel ...

Let's go on .... Thank you for helping me ... God Bless each one of you!

Donnie

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Donnie, I too have suffered from depression and anger issues. Thanks to an intervention by 2 very good friends I got a prescription for what I term my "mellow pills". Do they make me always happy, no they don't. They do however make my highs and lows be far less dramatic. Always remember that the past is unchangeable and the future is unknown. What God has in mind for us is in His control, we are simply a palate on which he paints the future. Hang in there Donnie, your family, friends and fellow riders are all on your team. Lean on them all.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #586
Had a real good visit with these two guys today. With a little more time we could have solved all the worlds problems. Well maybe not all. ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Donnie, glad to see an update. Albeit not the one you wanted to post. Good to read one.

If I have learned anything over the past 6 months, (almost 3 years really) we are not in control. Which is so hard to redirect our lives, our hobbies, etc. I have had to give up so much of what Terry and I loved doing together. The motorcycle being the hardest. I never drove one. Only rode. But man was it ever fun. No more four wheeling. No more driving around in the Camero. No more jeeping, figured that was the one vehicle to dump right away, I did not need 3 for one person to drive. I have had to redirect and find something else to love. So I bought a Class C RV. Used, 20 years old. But in great shape. Don’t know the first thing about doing all the stuff to it. But thank God for friends. So the dogs and I have a new hobby. My point is, don’t give up. We are all walking our own personal stories, and some just have a longer hill to climb. Sure it would be easy for me to just sit back and become a hermit and get down. But I figured two things. Terry would never want to see me give up. In fact, I feel I give him quite a few chuckles on how I do some things like when I work on the house, I may not do it the way he would, but in the end it would come out the same. Or catch the grass on fire with the lawn mower, or get the lawn mower tire stuck under the running board on the Tahoe. And 2, it’s not in my genes to give up. I’m to young.

And I know you got it in you yet, to fight. And find something else to become your new hobby. You love to write. And I’m betting there are lots of people that would benefit to have you write some trip journals perhaps. Or something along that line. Just find a new. And stay strong friend. You got this. And you got a lot of fight left. If I can do this, you better too.

Love you friend. ?????? Always for you every day.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Update - 17 Months after stroke

Thought I give everyone an update via a video I took during my walk today. A video blog as it were ... 6 minutes long

Of course the goal remains ultimately ...

Wing is on center stand and running. Taken a day earlier of me getting on and off and pretending to ride.
Trust me ... it's not as much fun as the real thing. Least from what I remember ... it has been so long. Notice how the right arm stays erect after getting off the bike.
Things tighten up and I have trouble relaxing it. The arm and leg requires much focus and effort to work right ... then it is hard to relax once engaged.

So much to whip into shape ... and many things have to fall right ... but I will get that confidence back. I know 2020 will be a good year for me and I'm hopeful to Ride Again.

Hope you have a good riding year!

Donnie

·
Registered
86 Posts
Donnie
That was so wonderful to see. The amount of change in you. The cane is gone. The motions are happening more precise. The speech is more clear. We can see your concentrating harder and harder You’re getting there!

I am a firm believer that you’re going to ride again. Whether it be just a short time for this year. And then gradually building up from there. I believe it will happen.

Keep getting on the bike daily. Keep simulating that you’re riding. My goodness that walking. If I had that nature trail to walk, I’d be walking it every day. With my dogs in tote. What a beautiful place to walk. What a nice update that was to see. Keep reaching for the sky, you’re getting there.

And we will keep the prayers coming for you. ??????

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Wonderful passion there sir. You made my day, smiled many times while watching your accomplishments. You sir, have to live it, so you may not see progress as such, the way others may. Loved seeing you sit on the bike. That is good therapy right there. You are in good hands. You keep talking about it being his will, so be it, go with what has been afforded you so far, keep the faith. I question my own ability to persevere as you are in the same situation. I can get a feeling for the difficulty you face, and I pray for your continued recovery. Thank you for the continuing education.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I’m thankful you let us join you on your walk today. I have witnessed you riding the twisties with one hand while capturing great video with the other hand. You were among the greatest riders I’ve known personally. Your determination to ride again shows your faith & strength. Prayers continuing my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #596 (Edited)
Good to see the update, thanks for sharing. I know progress feels slow but I know it is still steady. When we were visiting Gene I noticed a huge improvement in the way you negotiated those steps at his house. Last Spring I was concerned with the possibility that you might have a mishap, this time no problem ?

You are getting there one step at a time. Such strength and determination is not something we see often. It is so inspirational, I would like to have just a small piece of that.

You will get there!!??

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
Donnie thanks for updating us with this recent video. While you may think that your progress is slow all of us forum members that have followed your stroke and recovery from day 1 see a tremendous improvement every time you post a video and we witness how far you have come. It's through your sheer determination that has got you this far and will continue to get you back on your bike. Prayers
? continue to be sent your way for your recovery. Take care my friend.

·
Registered
20,812 Posts
Donnie thanks for the updates ! that getting on and off your motorcycle is very good exercise and it appears to be getting much easier for you, hopefully the right arm improves a little more then I believe you will be ready for your first ride. A much smaller and lighter bike would probably make things much easier.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Donnie, I am impressed by the strides you are making. The videos show that the Lord is on your side. I thoroughly enjoyed joining you on your walk today. You sure live in God's country. Your ability in getting on and off your beloved Goldwing is a sight to see. Soon you will be riding and putting the rest of us to shame. Keep up the good work and continue to have faith that with God all things are possible.

581 - 600 of 651 Posts