GL1800Riders Forums banner

601 - 620 of 664 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
That right leg seems to really be getting there. Stepped over the seat better than me. I'm sure from your end there is a lot more struggle to it, though. You remain in my prayers.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
Notice how the right arm stays erect after getting off the bike.
Things tighten up and I have trouble relaxing it. The arm and leg requires much focus and effort to work right ... then it is hard to relax once engaged.
At least you're still progressing - that alone is a positive sign!

We'll be thinking about ya this weekend out in the desert! ?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Hey Donnie, you were a great inspiration to one of my customers who had some kind of operation induced stroke. He was very depressed and was about to give up playing his saxophone in a band that he is part of. I told him your story about now being able to open your fingers again after almost two years. It gave him new hope and patience for a longer timeline of recovery. I know you're still have a ways to go, but you are progressing in amazing fashion to those of us that don't get to see you each day. Great to see you get on the bike even if it is just pretend riding. In my prayers Bro!

·
Registered
9,039 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
@Donnieontheroad Read this:

Never say never...
True ... I won't.

I'm happy for Jerry Lee Lewis .... everybody's stroke is way different. I have to fight my own battle. Thank you for sharing that.
Strokes aren't a side by side comparison. Nevertheless .. I am very happy for him!

Unfortunately, this thread continues and I try to look forward ... but looks like it is going to take another year for me to even try to ride a motorcycle.
I have made a lot of progress but sometimes it seems like it is so little. To ride again STILL seems unrealistic but I will keep trying regardless.

I will ride again!

Thank you for thinking about me .. what else to do but push on!

Donnie

·
Registered
20,827 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Donnie, something that sounds like snake oil but has done wonders for me is myofacial release. Might pay to look into it.
Like I said it did wonders for me and I was a skeptic.

Robert

Reactions: Arizona16

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Donnie, something that sounds like snake oil but has done wonders for me is myofacial release. Might pay to look into it.
Like I said it did wonders for me and I was a skeptic.

Robert
Thank you for this info.

I'll research it and ask my Stroke doctor about it during today's visit. So many direction to go many times you just want to quit trying. I've tried many things over the year and a half since the stroke happened and you get tired of trying. If I has unlimited funds I would try them all. I would buy a trike or some other 3 wheel version that would get me back riding. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to throw around. I have constantly exercise ... but my body was damaged and is naturally trying to close up as it heals. You fight constantly to make things work the way they use to but its a losing battle and my right side is slowly tightening up. My VA stroke doctor is giving me a Botox injection today in my right arm to relax the muscles. Botox is also used in people to treat tightness and spasticity. Like I said I'm getting tried of trying. But you all keep telling me to push on and most importantly I am not a quitter so I will push on.

Bottom line is I thought I might be able ride this year but I'm not ready despite what I say. Hard to see this view everyday from my shed.

and not want to ride ... Last year at this time my Wing was still in California so it wasn't here ... now it is and its driving me crazy not to want to try.

But I can't. I must wait for what might never happen ... but it might ... I have to think it will... one step at a time. Can't look too far ahead or I will give up.

Focus on the good .. and disregard the bad.

Thanks for everyones support an encouragement ...

Donnie

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hello Donnie,
I do not know you other than the posts you have made over the years. It is very hard for most of us to understand what you are going through. But we can pray that you will get through it.
I know you talk about getting back on 2 wheels, but is that realistic. Would you be able to ride safely on 3 wheels? I only ask this as to know if your side with the stroke is strong enough to control the bike.
I would think you have enough people that you know, that one of them would have a trike you could try. That might help elevate your spirts some.
I personally do not want to think of the day when I will not be able to ride. But I do know that it will come eventully.
Wishing you all the best,
Ken Clark

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Hello Donnie,
I do not know you other than the posts you have made over the years. It is very hard for most of us to understand what you are going through. But we can pray that you will get through it.
I know you talk about getting back on 2 wheels, but is that realistic. Would you be able to ride safely on 3 wheels? I only ask this as to know if your side with the stroke is strong enough to control the bike.
I would think you have enough people that you know, that one of them would have a trike you could try. That might help elevate your spirts some.
I personally do not want to think of the day when I will not be able to ride. But I do know that it will come eventully.
Wishing you all the best,
Ken Clark
You are right. It is not realistic to ride a motorcycle again if I don’t have control of the right side of my body. My ego, pride and desire can not be appease without considering everyone else on the road .. not just me. I’m selfish to think that I can ride safely without those controls in place. I just don’t know any more what to do. I can’t move on with my life as is and I can’t rid myself of thoughts I can ride the way I used to. My life has changed dramatically and I just refuse to accept it. Riding seems to mean everything to me .. it is not .. but I seem so lost without it. I still refuse to give it up .. as crazy as I know that sounds. I am stubborn like that but I feel a breaking point coming.

I know about the 3 wheel trikes, tilt front solution and plethora of other solutions for people like me who are handicapped in some way so they can get back on riding … but riding means so much more than just riding to me than that. If you’ve read any of my stories on the road you know what I mean. My daughter, son, wife and many of my friends have all asked me to consider an alternative yet I refuse. I must have loss my sense too.

You live with the choices you make during your life ....

Donnie

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Donnie I am very anxiously looking forward to talking to you next month in Rogers .
... and I look forward to seeing and talking to you.

I'm still traveling in a cage but plan to be there ...

I need some talking too

Donnie

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
April 2020

My family and I are safe, home and are enduring along with you and yours what has happened over the last 4 weeks in our country. We wish everyone reading this a safe journey through this Coronavirus nightmare. Please say a prayer for our country and for the world every night and for the lost loved ones and their families . Our hearts and thanks go out to the heros fighting and serving to protect us while finding a vaccine. We can do it! It will get better.

Spring gives me hope .. it always does. I don’t remember a single Spring in the past 69 years of my life that I didn’t like. It’s a pure joy to see life bloom again from the earth during my daily walks … that joy never gets old ..

Looking North

Looking South

Taking in a Moment

Take the time … you only enjoy each day one time.

To that end .. I journey on with my quest to ride again. The journey is much longer and more difficult than I thought. I’m doing fine and trying to continue to exercise. The Botox shot was 4 week ago and it’s suppose to take 6 weeks to work .. nothing yet. I’m still lightheaded and tire easily. Yes .. even after 1 1/2 years. Need to build up stamina and confidence. Walking just little bit better. Arm movement slow and fingers very little to no movement on their own .

That’s not to say each day is not a blessing … it truly is! Little blessings at a time. Many times I focus on the negative only … I must keep my positive constantly charged.

You do too … we all do. We will get through.

God bless everyone of you!

Donnie

·
Registered
512 Posts
Good to hear from you, we are staying home and doing spring clean up and yard work, stay safe.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Donnie, so glad to see you still posting. The pics are beautiful!!! I hope you're staying safe and well away from this virus that's going on. Thoughts and prayers are with you always. Looking forward to the day I can meet you on a ride!!! Take care my friend!!!!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Hi everyone … hope you and yours are staying safe.

There’s a lot going on with Covid 19 and I hope everyone is getting a chance to ride often as summer approaches and effectively social distancing. I wanted to give a quick update on the stroke. I have been struggling lately with my blood pressure being erratic and feeling apathy towards just about everything. Dr is changing my blood pressure medication to try and even thing out some. I continue to exercise as much as I can but significant improvement is non existent but slow and gradual improvement is the order of the day. I continue to improve but riding a motorcycle is still very far away I’m afraid. I’m just grateful to be alive and working to recover as best as I can. I’m not as demanding as I usually am and now more reserved about what my future riding plans are. Be assured I’m still pushing forward … but I’m pushing. I’m not writing much either but thought I’d better check in for month of May. I may write more later but this is all for now.

Stay safe … and ride whenever you can. I’ll check in again in June.

Donnie

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #619
Thanks for the update, it is amazing how your able to continue the fight and preserver. Any progress is a good thing!! We all wish you well, and will continue waiting for that comeback ride, whenever it happens. (y)(y)

601 - 620 of 664 Posts