GL1800Riders Forums banner

621 - 640 of 664 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I had that meniere syndrome once and I just wanted to die. I empathize with you Donnie. Its a PITA. Hang in there with positive thinking and prayer dude.

Reactions: Donnieontheroad

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #628
Thought this would be a good time to post an update of my own. The MRI (Monk's Ride In) is in its second day. Donnie decided that a good next step in his recovery could be spending some time on the back of a Wing. The goal was to test his stamina. The group rode 323 miles today and Donnie spent the entire day as the passenger on the back of two different bikes. Thanks goes out to @Arizona16 and @gwhobo for allowing this to happen today. Its been a long time since I've seen him this excited!! A picture does speak a thousand words!! (y)

And FYI: below is the route. It includes some of the best twisties in the Ozarks!!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Best medicine in the world!! This made me smile so much. Pretty sure there’s a couple of bugs in that smile on Donnie’s face and also sure he’s not gonna brush those out anytime soon! Great job guys.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
It was great to see you so happy! What a great day of riding and friendship! And I’m not even (VERY) offended you wouldn’t ride the old red bike.... hehe.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Update - June 2020

Without a doubt the best day I’ve had since the stroke and that was a very long time ago, October 7’ 2018. Riding 320 miles through the best roads in Arkansas all day was the best therapy I could experience … even if I was on the back seat of the Wing. I can’t explain how great everyone made me feel and believe me I was mentally absorbed in the ride … pretending and reviewing the actions I hope to repeat myself when I’m back on my Goldwing. I have to admit I was scared to come over for the event and I was even more scared to to actual climb on someone’s Wing for that effort. I was visually nervous and apprehensive which is unusual for me. I’m not used to being scared but I dealt with it and the results were very good. I can’t thank enough all of my friends that were there that supported me and the countless others that pray for me daily and post on this thread … Thank You seems so inadequate … You all are my heroes. I hope others may learn from what I do .. I am certainly learning from you. Unfortunately, the journey goes on but I truly believe I’ve reached a vital milestone this week. A turning point! A big boost in my morale that I desperately needed. I still have a very long way to go … the hardest part is still to come … but I can do it.

I felt fine the entire day and I got valuable intel on my stamina. My lightheadedness seemed to be better probably due to very good news that I was also able to stop 1 antidepressants, Trazodone 50 MG about a month ago. I had tried to stop a couple of times earlier without success. Good to be off of that 1 finally. I feel part of the fog is lifting. The doctor added a medicine for blood pressure last month that has help stabilize it and I continue to make adjustments as I go.

Take a ride for me … I’m in your rear-view mirror … and I’m closing …. slowly but steadily.

Take Care!

Donnie

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Donnie it was great to see that smile on your face and to hear what that ride did for your morale. Sometimes baby steps can be a giant morale booster. Keep putting one foot in front of the other and one day you'll be the one in the front seat of your GW. :)

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Update July - 2020

My update this month includes a major milestone that I have been working on since Day 1. I’m finally able to ride a bicycle … without training wheels. That the biggie I’ve tried so hard to achieve. Here’s the video …

24 hours later …. I improved quite a bit. More videos ….

This is a huge step for me because it opens up my training significantly. My balance is good and I can now understand that riding my Wing again is a real possibility. Still a long way to go but I am very encouraged. What a wonderful blessing my Father in heaven just gave me. I know everyone is happy for me.

It’s the best news I’ve had and it came at a time when I really needed it!

I’m back on 2 wheels and going from here to the Goldwing when I’m ready. Now to practice.

Hope everyone had a good 4th of July .... mine was exceptional!

Donnie

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Update July - 2020

My update this month includes a major milestone that I have been working on since Day 1. I’m finally able to ride a bicycle … without training wheels. That the biggie I’ve tried so hard to achieve. Here’s the video …

24 hours later …. I improved quite a bit. More videos ….

This is a huge step for me because it opens up my training significantly. My balance is good and I can now understand that riding my Wing again is a real possibility. Still a long way to go but I am very encouraged. What a wonderful blessing my Father in heaven just gave me. I know everyone is happy for me.

It’s the best news I’ve had and it came at a time when I really needed it!

I’m back on 2 wheels and going from here to the Goldwing when I’m ready. Now to practice.

Hope everyone had a good 4th of July .... mine was exceptional!

Donnie
Congratulations Donnie. Nothing’s going to stop you now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
889 Posts
Donnie,

That is some of the best riding i've seen in a long time. You are truly doing remarkable. Keep at it and we will meet on the road one day and it will be my pleasure to buy your lunch. You have filled so many people with hope since this all started with your courageous fight and will to get back on the Wing. We are constantly praying for you to get out there and get 'er done.

I just recently found out that my younger brother had a very mild stroke about 9 months ago. He seems to be doing well except for occasional issues with his vision, but he knows what to expect and how to work with it and not fight it. I told him about your experience and he wishes you the best in your recovery. He knows what it's like, even with a mild stroke, to have to deal with all the after effects.

Keep up the good work and you will be back on the road in no time!!! It was good to see the pics of you on the back seat of the Wings for MRI. You will be in the driver's seat before you know it!!!

Keith

621 - 640 of 664 Posts