GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I talked with my autobody shop about what I can do to my 04 rims when my Candy Black Cherry finally gets here to avoid salt pitting and brake dust corrosion, etc. He defered my question to a business that he sends all of his wheel straigtening and restoring problems to. The name of the business is Mr. Wheels in Fortville, IN. I called them and explained my situation and was told that Honda does not clearcoat their rims for a reason. He said that if they were clearcoated and they got chipped, scratched or corrosion got under the clear coat it would really look bad and it would be really expensive, $300.00 per wheel to have the clearcoat removed and new reapplied. His solution to my problem was to polish it with a product called "AutoSol". It comes in a tube about 10" long and costs $6.25 (from him). He claimed the polished lustre of the wheel is the best of any product he has ever tried. I was told that every repaired wheel that leaves his business has been polished with this material. He said that it is long lasting and very durable. Needless to say I ordered a tube and my autobody man is going to pick it up on Monday when he goes to pick up some rims. My rims are going to receive a coating of "AutoSol" before they ever hit the road for the first time. Now if I could just get my Candy Black Cherry Wing, I would really be a happy camper.
Gerald :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Here's a couple of URL's, AutoSol's main website is being updated.

http://www.autosol.com/metal.htm

http://www.autogeek.net/autosol1.html

Looking at the information, it reminds me a LOT of FLITZ, also a product from Germany with similar packaging, although AutoSol seems to sell for a lower price. I used to sell Flitz among other products, and Flitz is a great metal polish, but personal experience has shown that BOMS AWAY is a superior wheel polish compared to Flitz.

http://www.badtothebom.com

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Just look at all the cars/trucks on the road that come from the factory with clear coated wheels. After a year or two, they get the chips and start to corrode. I've got Boms Away ordered, and am anxious to try it out. Someday, I'd still like to have mine powder coated.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I am looking at the product Lewis sells. Zoop or something like that. Soon as I get some background info on the product, I will purchase it.

I guess we are all looking for that magic something, that will help keep our rear wheel in great shape.

It is my opinion, that the only thing that will accomplish this, is elbow grease. All the magic potions in the world, will not solve the dilemma of the GL 1800. They will only help, some better than others.

Bulldog

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
chrome and dirt?

I am wondering about the chrome wheels....

I will assume that all your bikes rear wheeel gets filthy in 100- 200 miles ??

My rear wheel gets real dirty very quickly. Seems like the chrome would wash off quicker , easier ?

G

·
I have to agree - I have spend hours upon hours sanding striping and polishing the clear coat off of custom car rims. If the rims are real bad I paint them or simply polish with Mothers wheel polish. I imagine the other products listed here are similar to the Mothers polish. It's a lot easier to spend the five to ten minutes touching up the polish than grinding away the clear coat. I would think powder and chrome would require just a good wash and wax to keep them nice.

Oh what the hell you guys are all rich and retired so get on your knees and rub those rims :D

·
Registered
615 Posts
Boms Away is a very good product, though expensive. It shined a pair of Triumph Ledgend TT wheels excellently. (I did them) Much easier to clean after that even a year later.
And yes chromed wheels are very easy to maintain but, you still wash, polish and rinse them. I would say they are 80-85% easier to maintain. Mine are still in great shape for being 2 1/2 years old. Joy

·
Registered
979 Posts
Clear Coat

:D Ditto on the Boms Away by far the best polish I have ever used and I have tried just about all of them, been using the Boms Away products on my truck and bike for about two years now totally happy with the results. :) :sw1: :sw1: :sw1:

·
Registered
56 Posts
wheel polish

I have used everything on the market for my wheels. All of the above mentioned products work very well, but, I have found that the Aluminum Super Shine to be the very best. This product can be purchased from a distributor,( Phaze One Incorporated ). If you want the address and phone number let me know.
The product is so easy to use. It takes very little rubbing to get a chrome like shine. It is recommened that you first clean the wheels with a acid based aluminum wash to remove all the road grime. All products are biodegradable and envirnmentally safe. The more you polish the shinier the wheels get. It never quits working. my Gl1800 wheels look as good as the chrome ones I have seen

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Pegasus
I would like the address/phone # of the distributor for Alum. Super Shine. I have heard about this product before, with everyone giving it high marks. What the hell....what's one more cleaning/polishing product sitting on a shelf in the garage going to hurt.
Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
Busch Super Shine Aluminum Polish is great stuff. buschpolishes.com (704) 878-2067

G

·
wheels

i saw some wheels the other day and thought they were chrome, the fellow said he used never dull, i bought a can and it is great five minutes on wheel looks like chrome, $ 3.99 pep boys.

·
Registered
56 Posts
BUSCH ALUMINUM SUPER SHINE

Busch Aluminum Super Shine can be purchased through a distributor.
You can contact them 812-630-2299. They carry all of the cleaners, waxes and polishes for your aluminum wheels. They are very helpful and can help guide you as to what products you will need.
All phone calls to Busch are reverted to the distributor. They do not sell direct to the public.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am not sure if there is some difference between US and EU models, But on my EU model there are for sure a thin clearcoat layer. I can´t even use very fine polish on the wheels whithout going thru the clearcoat to the bare metal. The only part on my bike that have uncoated aluminium is the passenger floorboard.
I would suggest you take a close look on your wheels for clearcoat, before you use any abhrasive stuff on your wheels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
clear coating wheels

Since the rear wheel gets black within just a few hundred miles after cleaning, I was actually thinking of getting it powder coated in gloss black - at least it should clean up easier. I've seen several yellow wings with the wheels powder coated in a matching yellow - looks good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
aluminum wheel polish

the BOM makes a great wheel polish....will rival the Autosol. Check out their website....TheBom...in Florida. Great after wax treatment too....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts