1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
My daughter is taking drivers education at the local high school. She said they brought in a big rig to let the students sit in as they moved vehicles all around it to show them how easy a car can be hidden from the view of a driver. The one that impressed her the most was the vehicle not visible in front of the truck due to height of the nose. Can you imagine how easy it would be to hide on a motorcycle around one of those things! :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
At the Missouri GWRRA rally in Branson a few years ago they brought in a big rig and parked 4 wings around it. Anyone that wanted could climb up in the drivers seat and look for the wings in the mirrors. It was amazing what could NOT be seen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My daughter is taking drivers education at the local high school. She said they brought in a big rig to let the students sit in as they moved vehicles all around it to show them how easy a car can be hidden from the view of a driver. The one that impressed her the most was the vehicle not visible in front of the truck due to height of the nose. Can you imagine how easy it would be to hide on a motorcycle around one of those things! :eek:4:
I wish that they would do this in all the drivers ed classes. I have been driving a truck a little over twenty eight years,and I have seen a lot of things that might have been avoided if only people would have been educated.There are a couple of things that make me a little nervous are,following right behind the truck so close I cant see them.Always remember, if you cant see my mirrors, I cant see you. One other thing,don't hang out on the left side. Get on around when you go to pass.

·
Registered
19,324 Posts
At the Missouri GWRRA rally in Branson a few years ago they brought in a big rig and parked 4 wings around it. Anyone that wanted could climb up in the drivers seat and look for the wings in the mirrors. It was amazing what could NOT be seen.
good example:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
4 Simple Rules for Semis.

1. Never Cruise in front of a Semi, even if they can see you, they can't stop as fast and you make a poor speedbump.

2. Never Cruise behind a Semi, Even if they can see you and you can stop faster, the wind conditions are horrible, they can and do throw up all kinds of garbage. You are not tough enough to take being smacked in the face with a 2x4 in stride.

3. Never cruise beside a Semi. Even if they can see you, Tires blow out and panic maneuvering may leave you dead. Be somewhere where there is room for error.

4. Tonnage has the right of way. If you are dealing with a Semi, then you need to get passed and leave a significant margin. Stay behind and leave a significant margin. Or take a different route. Don't argue, Don't qualify, Don't blame the Trucker, You are responsible for the safety of everyone in your vehicle, so just do it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
"4. Tonnage has the right of way. If you are dealing with a Semi, then you need to get passed and leave a significant margin. Stay behind and leave a significant margin. Or take a different route. Don't argue, Don't qualify, Don't blame the Trucker, You are responsible for the safety of everyone in your vehicle, so just do it."

So very true! But not only for the big rigs. A loaded pick-up especially with a trailer is also very hard to stop, takes wide turns and has the same blind spots.
And yes, even a GoldWing with a trailer is to be watched. :shock:

·
Registered
836 Posts
What's a worse hazard is large rental trucks such as U-Haul, Ryder, etc. and a close second is large motor homes, for the same reason. Both are likely to be piloted by an amateur with very few actual hours driving something that big.

Just like with every group, you're going to encounter a jerk every now and then, but by and large, professional truck drivers have their act together on the road. If it's the U-Haul guy's first time driving anything big, slow, and top-heavy, he's a disaster just looking for a place to happen.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Another example of how school districts blow money...what is the cost of an 18 wheeler? There are no driving school around that would ""LOAN"" them one for a couple hours. There are no drivers that would volunteer time for one of his kids to see from the inside what he sees.
Give me a break...more tax dollars flushed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Another example of how school districts blow money...what is the cost of an 18 wheeler? There are no driving school around that would ""LOAN"" them one for a couple hours. There are no drivers that would volunteer time for one of his kids to see from the inside what he sees.

WRONG WRONG WRONG The "NO ZONE" is a campaign started by the American Trucking Association as an educational program for cagers & riders to understand the trucker drivers view from the cab of the tractor.

My company has multiple trailers wrapped in NO ZONE ads. We do volunteer our equipment & time as requested to educate drivers & RIDERS as to the blind spots on a 85' semi.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hell if money is going to get blown at least they are blowing it on driver education, I mean how can this be a bad thing?

Cheers
K

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
One of the many beautiful things about a Wing is the fraction of seconds it needs to get around a big rig. It does not take long to be out of danger on a Wing!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts