GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
What you can't read numbers that one has to look at bars or sine waves to get a correct reading on voltage or resistance[ohms]?How precise does one feel that one, meter, has to be to work on automoboles or bikes for that matter. In this instance it would be more to say "I have one" than needing one to perform electronics tests on cars or bikes.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I've calibrated and repaired electronic test equipment for the Air Force for twenty years now. My favorite multimeter is the Fluke 77. I cary a Fluke 75 with me at all times on the Wing. Flukes newest model is the 170 series.

I like the old 77s because of their ruggedness. After watching the abuse Air Force maintainers dish out to these, I will never go with another. Yes, they cost a LOT more, but will take almost any abuse and still give good readings.

The Craftsman unit listed here is fine but not even in the same class as the Fluke.

Fred H,
You are simply lost in gadget fever!! That thing is for testing power on three pahse systems. You know, the ones they use to power industrial buildings! The last time I looked, the GL1800 doesn't use three phase 400Hz.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Rastoff said:
I've calibrated and repaired electronic test equipment for the Air Force for twenty years now. My favorite multimeter is the Fluke 77. I cary a Fluke 75 with me at all times on the Wing. Flukes newest model is the 170 series.

I like the old 77s because of their ruggedness. After watching the abuse Air Force maintainers dish out to these, I will never go with another. Yes, they cost a LOT more, but will take almost any abuse and still give good readings.

The Craftsman unit listed here is fine but not even in the same class as the Fluke.

Fred H,
You are simply lost in gadget fever!! That thing is for testing power on three pahse systems. You know, the ones they use to power industrial buildings! The last time I looked, the GL1800 doesn't use three phase 400Hz
Not only that Rastoff, but I bet it's more that the $9.99 cost of the Craftsman! :lol:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Rastoff said:
I've calibrated and repaired electronic test equipment for the Air Force for twenty years now. My favorite multimeter is the Fluke 77. ...
The Fluke 87 is my favorite. To be able to capture the min/max/average of a reading with this model has come in very handy for me quite a few times. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have no idea how good theyare but I just got a flier from Harbor Freight tools for a digital MM for $2.99!! I imagine it's pretty feeble but for 3 bucks I will probably pick up a few to carry in the vehicles.
Harbor Freight was giving them away with coupons for a while. I carry one in each of my vehicles. The one in my bike has been in there for 8 years and still works fine. Saved my butt a few times.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.