GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did Cottonwood pass yesterday... and wow, is that pretty. I had forgotten how nice the Taylor Park area was.

The dirt section of this ride is 14 miles long. (note: Not gravel) But it's hard-packed dirt, and has the nicest non-paved surface of any road in the state. (my opinion only) It's amazing how much friction you can get on that road surface. ...and very low dust.

I'd suggest those of you who avoid unpaved roads like the plague... should do this ride from East to West, as downhill is just a bit smoother than the uphill side. There were a couple spots where washboards exist, but on the uphill side only.
But the East side of Cottonwood pass and the road from Taylor Park to Gunnison really are worth the minor irritation of the dirt section. I'll be back when the trees start changing color.

·
Registered
175 Posts
That is the same pass/road the US Pro Bike Tour Race went up in Aug and they did it on skinney tires; it is a beautiful pass...agree. Bob

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Being an old dirt rider for 30 years, dirt, gravel and rough roads may slow me........but that's about all. :yes1:

As long as I have enough ground clearance. :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Cottonwood Pass is one gorgeous ride. I rode it and Keebler pass last year. Photos from September, 2010. I'll be riding it again this year.
:fullsize:

·
Registered
851 Posts
It is a great ride. I think it's time to do that one again.

Will there be an organized color ride this year?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's funny.
Hey Truckco, do you realize you used "organized" while referring to the Rascals in the same sentence?

I don't think I'd be able to make an official event. It's going to be a busy fall (for those of us still working).. I'll be sneaking out for a quick ride here an there as the opportunity presents itself.

c'mon retirement!

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Base Model
1,093 Posts
It is a great ride. I think it's time to do that one again.

Will there be an organized color ride this year?
If any of you guys want some company going up there, I'm in!:doorag:

·
Registered
851 Posts
That's funny.
Hey Truckco, do you realize you used "organized" while referring to the Rascals in the same sentence?

I don't think I'd be able to make an official event. It's going to be a busy fall (for those of us still working).. I'll be sneaking out for a quick ride here an there as the opportunity presents itself.

c'mon retirement!

You're right Dr2 my bad. Speaking of the Rascals, what ever happened to those guys? Hardly ever hear from them.:cry:

Dave from Denver, we need to do that one soon.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the fact that our spring picnic was cancelled this year caused us to grow apart... :(

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Base Model
1,093 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts