GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 audio comfort wing. This is my 1st wing which I got new last winter. I decided to install the CB radio myself and in the process of removing the meter panel, which I was doing according to the instructions that came with the radio, you can guess what I did. When trying to get the speaker grills out with a screw driver no less I managed to scuff the meter panel and both grills. Finally called the dealer and he even had to look up how to do it and to my surprise the speaker grills don't come out anymore. I left the panel in last summer as a monument to my stupidity well now I am tired of looking at my monument and want to replace the meter panel and both speaker grills. Looking thru Hal's parts fich there are about 6 to 8 panels listed and more speaker grills listed. I think I can get the grills sorted out left and right but don't have a clue as to which meter panel I need. I need the meter panel with a place for the seat heater and handle bar warmer switches in it. Any help would be appreciated It may be best to just call Hal and order it?

Thanks Cockleburr

·
Registered
130 Posts
The reason there are so many meter panels listed is due to the differences in models -- audio, NAV, airbag, etc. Each model has a slightly different panel arrangement. You could call a dealer and get them to look up the correct part number on their fiche, then order it from Hal, to make sure you get the right one. Or, you could get a color matched one from Road Trip Essentials and dress up that "monument" right, good and proper with a splash of color. That's what I did, looks gorgeous. Ordering is easy. Just tell them what year, model and color you have and they'll fix you right up. BTW, that meter panel pops on and off quite easily, no tools required. And as you no doubt know by now :wink: the speaker grills are integral to the panel, but can be removed from the back with 4 or 5 screws per side once the tweets and main meter cable are disconnected.

http://www.roadtripessentials.com/

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Rick Mays said:
It would be nice if they would somewhere post the changes made so the lay mechanic could figure things out a bit quicker??
I've not found such a place but after ALMOST ruining my speakers during a CB install I've gotten much better at using the SEARCH function on this web site.
It seems like just about everything I could screw up, someone has already beaten me to it.

For the speaker removal .... put something like this into the SEARCH window:

"speaker and grill and remove" (without the quote marks)

as of today you'll get about 22 "hits" and one of them looks like this:
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... ill+remove

There is a generous wealth of knowledge here ... it pays to learn how to get to it ...

PM me if you need more coaching ...

Dennis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts