GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A woman was prevented from getting on an airplane because she was wearing a jacket which had wires hanging out of it. It turned out to be a heated M/C jacket. Not a bright move on her part, considering the present security concerns.

http://www.nbc4.com/news/2744727/detail.html#

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's strange...

That's strange I have made six flights sence xmas with my heated leather jacket, two of them out of the country and I have had no problems at all.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Bob said:
A woman was prevented from getting on an airplane because she was wearing a jacket which had wires hanging out of it. It turned out to be a heated M/C jacket. Not a bright move on her part, considering the present security concerns.
Sorry, I can't agree with your last sentence. They probably x-rayed her jacket like they always do mine... along with my boots, belt, wallet, pager, cell phone, loose change, keys, and carry-on luggage. Then they usually go over me with their wand while I stand there in my socks with my arms outstretched.

Anyway, after she has passed through "security" is she supposed to hide her jacket? If, after boarding the flight with her x-rayed and declared safe jacket, someone had said "what are those wires for?" any question could have been cleared up in about two seconds. I think removing her from the flight was ludicrous. People who throw common sense to the wind and operate in panic mode are dangerous to the rest of us.

For me, flying is NOT fun anymore and I avoid it as much as possible. :(

P.S. Thanx for the link to the article!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Oh, oh, is this the beginning of Biker Profiling?:roll:

Don't laugh, they are still checking tennis shoes.

I'm probably just sore for having to relinquish my cork screw that was in my shaving kit on my last flight. :(

·
Registered
561 Posts
Security in Airports

I have yet to see anything done by these idiots which actually make a plane safer. So far women with underwire bras and anyone with fingernail clippers are the most dangerous individuals they've prevented flying.

A perfect example is my own experience recently flying to Hawaii with my wife, where she asked that the film we were taking be hand inspected. (No matter what they tell you, X-ray systems damage film and she's constantly having to color adjust when processing {which she does for a living}). Because we wanted the film hand inspected, we were ordered off to the side and then the TSA drone asked for "a pair of shoes".

I naturally asked, "Hers or mine?"

"It doesn't matter."

Huh? Let's see here, we're both dressed in T-shirts, shorts and sandles - no metal on us, and ask for film to be hand inspected, so one of us needs to have our shoes run over with chem-wipes and a sniffer - while the film itself is utterly ignored. Again, huh?

I can't wait until we're all forced to fly nude after a full cavity check, because some nutcase puts ten pounds of Semtex up his colon. :bomb:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
When I picked my bike up, June,02. I flew from NY to St. Lois direct. I packed light as I was picking up the bike at the dealers, spending about 1/2 hour with him, and heading home.

I packed my Helmet, change of under clothes, socks, pair of boots, some maps, a 17MM wrench and filter wrench, so that I could change the motor oil on the way home.

Well I put my AWOL bag through the security machine,walked through the magnet passageway and waited for bag on the other side. When it came out, I rolled the bag to the end of the roller area and picked it up. Just as I put the bag in my hands, two goons got on each side of me, told me not to make a scene and to go with them quietly. I complied. The put me in a room, stripped my azz nekid, searched ever inch of my belongings, and then interrogated me for 15 minutes, to explain why I had a 17 MM wrench in my luggage. Needless to say they confiscated the wrench and sent me on my way. I am sure that the gentleman that set next to me on the plane was an air Marshall.

No chance of ever getting my wrench back,and I wonder if they have my name red flagged for future flights.

What ever happened to common sense is right. We have all heard that to err on the side of safety is better to err on the side of disaster. I think that I should buy a 747, and see just how long it takes me to dismantle it from my seat with a seatbelt on, with my trusty 17 MM!

Bulldog

·
Registered
3,972 Posts

Bulldog:
Here's one for you! :lol: Back before all of the heightened security hullabaloo ... it was 1989. My wife and I wanted to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary in Alaska where we were married.

We had also signed up for the "Alaska Motorcycle Tour" ... we go to the airport to fly to Alaska with two helmet bags with wired J&M headsets in our helmets. We put them on the conveyor for close inspection and the person who was looking at the x-ray screen asked if we were going bowling! Anyone half blind could see wires if they actually looked! :shock: Coming back was nearly the same thing ... nobody paid any attention. We didn't need our electric jacket liners ... it was July!

Really the caliber of people were pretty low back then. It appears that the caliber of security personnel now are still pretty stupid in certain areas. My policy anymore is that if I can't get there by motorcycle, I am not gonna go peacefully! I flew in the Air Force and that was enough! :x

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: Security in Airports

Stormbringer said:
I can't wait until we're all forced to fly nude after a full cavity check, because some nutcase puts ten pounds of Semtex up his colon. :bomb:
LMAO (pun intended).....Too funny!!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Bob said:

http://www.nbc4.com/news/2744727/detail.html#
I heard that on the news. My first thought was that everyone should know about those. My second thought was that I sometimes forget that everyone's not a biker :?

I can't honestly say if it would have occurred to me not to get on with the jacket or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts