GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using these for many years and like the monitor sitting in front of me so i can see my tire pressure anytime while on the road. Called to get another set of sensors and was told they no longer make them for motorcycles. I have a new monitor system without the sensors. Would of been nice if they have notified the people that ordered them and i would of bought several sensors. Anyway Len researched and found the old post about how someone was able to change out the batteries in the sensors. So we will try that first if it fails i will have to go with another company. I know the ones that are talked about on this forum. I even tried their 2 part air valves, but were to high that my sensor would not have enough room to screw down on top so you can add air from the side outlet without taking the sensor off. I want one that shows my psi on my dash and has a red light if i start loosing air. I DO NOT want one that has anything to do with apps or my phone. Let me know which one you would recommend.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I have been using these for many years and like the monitor sitting in front of me so i can see my tire pressure anytime while on the road. Called to get another set of sensors and was told they no longer make them for motorcycles. I have a new monitor system without the sensors. Would of been nice if they have notified the people that ordered them and i would of bought several sensors. Anyway Len researched and found the old post about how someone was able to change out the batteries in the sensors. So we will try that first if it fails i will have to go with another company. I know the ones that are talked about on this forum. I even tried their 2 part air valves, but were to high that my sensor would not have enough room to screw down on top so you can add air from the side outlet without taking the sensor off. I want one that shows my psi on my dash and has a red light if i start loosing air. I DO NOT want one that has anything to do with apps or my phone. Let me know which one you would recommend.
Seems like if you could train your wife to hold an umbrella over your bike to keep the sun off while you eat , you should also be able to train her to check the air in your tires . OH wait-------- Doug has already warned you on the cost of such folly . >:)

(I would be interested in that type of monitor myself.)

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took off about 30 minutes after i posted about the Doran sensors and had a blow out about 2 miles from home. I was able to turn around and make it back home doing about 20 miles an hour. I had the E-4's on the back. I had to tow and now i have a CT on the back and the E-4 on the front. My wife did a good job of putting my new tires on today.

·
Registered
828 Posts
last 2 replacement Doran sensors I purchased were $45 each and lasted just over a year.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are using an old post about someone was able to change out the battery, cross your fingers. Mine last about 2 years maybe a little less, but if i can change out the batteries that would be great.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Marvin,
I spoke with the factory several months ago about the lack of new sensors. While the batteries do run down, the real issue is the actual pressure sensor integrated circuit that is on the circuit board. It has been discontinued by the manufacturer and thus, Doran can't buy any more. The batteries are a standard lithium battery but with solder tabs. So, tell everyone to find the post on changing the batteries, but do not throw the old sensors away as there won't be any new ones. And, make sure the glue used in sealing the sensor after battery replacement is very strong as it must hold the tire pressure (glue failure would be like a blow out).

Rick
(Hondahawk)

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
I could be wrong on this info (who me, lol) but I thought it was Fred Harmon who was changing the batteries??? Fred has moved recently and has a repair shop in AR.

·
Registered
496 Posts
These were by far my favorite TPMS I used. Now use the Zumo 595 with TPMS on them. I still have one complete set of the DORAN TPMS I'd sell cheap with batteries bad. Could be used as a spare to change out the batteries. If interested let me know. Just sits in the box. If I could have changed them myself I'd still be using them. Nice to be able to look whenever to see what they are. Especially when running a Runflat.
Dan

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These were by far my favorite TPMS I used. Now use the Zumo 595 with TPMS on them. I still have one complete set of the DORAN TPMS I'd sell cheap with batteries bad. Could be used as a spare to change out the batteries. If interested let me know. Just sits in the box. If I could have changed them myself I'd still be using them. Nice to be able to look whenever to see what they are. Especially when running a Runflat.
Dan
Let us try to change out the batteries first and i will let you know. Thanks

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I've used a TireGard 13-315 TPMS about 3 years on three different bikes. The pressures read out on a small unit designed to be used as a key fob but I fabricate a permanent mount and secure the 'fob' on the instrument panel or handlebar. The readout turns red at the programmable low and high PSI. It also chirps and vibrates if you are using it as a pocket fob. The batteries last at least 3 years as I haven't had to replace them yet - they are commonly available batteries when the time comes.

https://www.amazon.com/TireGard-13-315A-Motorcycle-Pressure-Monitoring/dp/B0068FYAHK

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the Steel Mate TP-90. The display has to be hardwired for power. The display cycles between the front and rear pressures, it will also show tire temperature (I'm assuming the internal air temp) and battery voltage. To see the temp and voltage you press a button on the side of the display. The sensors screw on the valve stems and have a jam nut for security/theft deterrent. The sensors do have replaceable coin type batteries. Steel Mate also offers the TP-90 Pro, this comes with internally mounted sensors. I installed tee valve stems so I can add air simpler than removing sensor (if you install jam nut). I installed a second unit to monitor my trailer tires, I added a small toggle switch inside the left fairing pocket so this display can be turned off when not towing the trailer. I like the ideal of seeing the actual pressure in my tires and I did catch a leaking tire after picking up a nail, i had time to get off the road and plug tire before going flat.

Cons: Periodically the sensors will lose communication with display (typically one or the other but not both at the same time) and flash the red alarm light, this has caused me to pull off and verify tire pressure, better safe than sorry though. This may be caused by other electronics such as phone, radar detector, other bluetooth modules in close proximity but just guessing. It will usually regain communication after a short while or after a shutdown and restart of display.

https://www.amazon.com/Steel-mate-Motorcycle-Pressure-Waterproof-External/dp/B075SYW6B2
https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/chrome_t_valve_stems/4102/261164

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts