GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I would like to have is a unit that I can see both or all four (trailer also) PSI readouts at one time, this way I don’t need to push a button all the time and sometimes you need to take off your gloves to do so.

I can’t seem to find any others out there that meet the level of these two, if you have a better one please tell me…

I left massages with both suppliers yesterday for a cal back today. I talked to a rep from both of these companies today, the one from “Doran called me and was VERY knowable, I had to call the rep from TireGard and he didn’t know much about his product at all.

So what one should I get of these two? Or is there something out there that is a better fit to my likes? :thumbup:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What I would like to have is a unit that I can see both or all four (trailer also) PSI readouts at one time, this way I don’t need to push a button all the time and sometimes you need to take off your gloves to do so.

I can’t seem to find any others out there that meet the level of these two, if you have a better one please tell me…

I left massages with both suppliers yesterday for a cal back today. I talked to a rep from both of these companies today, the one from “Doran called me and was VERY knowable, I had to call the rep from TireGard and he didn’t know much about his product at all.

So what one should I get of these two? Or is there something out there that is a better fit to my likes? :thumbup:
OK, I just got a call from Big Bike Parts on the TireGard. A little more info to go on, there is only one way the unit works. That is when you lose air it tells you when you get to the preset low PSI. It does not let you know if you have a FAST air loss at all.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I don't use either one of those, but I think the Doran has a very good reputation.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Doran is a nice unit but, as has been writen on this forum, you must press a button for the system to SHOW you the PSI of each of the tires. And when it shows you the PSI, it does it ONE tire at a time. Otherwise, in normal mode, the Doran just displays "ON".

The fast deflation feature is a nice capability of the Doran than often goes unmentioned when folks are comparing TPMS models. :thumbup:

Not sure about the other units but it seems as though contacting the manufacturer as you have done is the best way of picking the device that most comes most closely to your key requirements.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
I have a Doran...been using it for a little over one year. Really like it!!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have the tiregard and it shows inflation of both front and rear tires at all times. You set the low "alert" pressure you want and it will flash if it hits that. I don't see how a fast pressure loss will be any different that a low pressure alert going off (just set it about 5 lbs lower than normal (accounting for temp) and bingo). IMO
PS. the tiregard sensors you can change out the battery very easy

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Doran

I like the Doran.

You do have to push a button to get the pressure displayed, but it's easy to push even with gloves, and then it will toggle through each tire.
Another thing to remember about the rapid air warning. As you ride, you're tire pressure will increase by about 7psi. If you start at 40psi cold and have the low pressure warning set to go off at 35, you will start riding and, the pressure will increase to around 47. If you pick up a nail and the pressure starts to drop, the warning will go off by 46psi and you can get pulled over long before you even get to the 35psi low pressure you have set.
The set low pressure is nice for the first rode of the day when things are still cold and you haven't even started the day's ride yet.

I like the Doran.

Kurt

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Had one of the TireGard systems that I bought a WingDing Iowa. It failed a little over 100 miles away. WingStuff refunded no problem.

The earlier versions had quite a few reliability issues.

Also the display unit uses a single AAA battery. It will not be loud enough to warn you of an impending tire issue when you are riding. It would probably work as pre-ride pressure checker, but I think is about it. If that is all you need/want, OK. The Doran has a bright red light on its display or an extension light.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
On the Doran monitor, you do have to push a button to see actual PSI numbers, but only once. It then cycles through the different tires showing each PSI number. Displaying all 4 PSI amounts simultaneously would require Superman eyesights, or a large monitor.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Well.....it only cycles for about 1 minute and then goes back to the "ON" display. It does not continually cycle through the pressures (unless your version is different from the one I purchased 3 years ago).

The Doran also has a "freeze" option (I think they call it "steady"). If you are concerned about a specific tire, while the display is cycling through the tire pressure readings, press the "S" when the display reaches the tire you are interested in. The display will stop cycling through the other tires and remain on the current tire for the remainder of the "minute" before going back to displaying "ON". This makes is easier to focus on a specific tire.

On the Doran monitor, you do have to push a button to see actual PSI numbers, but only once. It then cycles through the different tires showing each PSI number. Displaying all 4 PSI amounts simultaneously would require Superman eyesights, or a large monitor.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Doran works great for me!!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So far...

So far the count is:

Doran 9

TireGard 1

Tire Watch 1

Is there much need for knowing the temp of the tires?

·
Registered
4,194 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Yes,it will show the four tires all the time. It will vibrate,flash and beep if any of the four reaches a preset low or high. It is best to keep it close to line of sight the flash and beep are weak. The unit will go "to sleep" after a period of inactivity to save battery and the bike/trailer must be moved to do this. Not good for initial tire check in AM,by the time you get a reading you could be gone from your garage,also not waterproof so a plastic bag is required and the display light is not good for reading in the dark. I am on my second one,first lasted several years(3-4,80,000-100,00miles) and the face was discolored and hard to read. The second (4 tire) is about a year and 20-25000 and working well.I velcro mine in the area of my brake reservoir.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I manufactured a small mounting plate and use velcro. The display goes to sleep only after inactivity from the tire sensors (i.e. no movement). I have had this for several years first one was replaced under warranty. As noted the original displays are not waterproof, so I cover my GPS and tireguard with a plastic bag in wet weather. The newer models may be weatherproof. I like having the psi and temperature available. As stated I mounted it in my line of sight as the warning can be missed if not visible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Pressure Pro

If you are OK with external sensors and no temp reading, the Pressure PRO system is another choice. Mine can read up to six sensors, uses a led display that dims at night, and cycles pressure display thru each sensor that is programmed. There are no buttons, (uses a magnet for program setup) and a large very bright led for rapid loss, or low level. It runs on 12 vdc, so mine is hardwired in. $250 with 2 sensors, sensors are $50 each, supposed to be good for 3-5 years, exchange sensors $39. Pressure data is updated every 5 mins, so I just turn bike to accessory while getting ready if I want to read pressure before leaving. My factory TPMS still functional, but get alarm on CT for first few miles on cool mornings.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts