GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Doran last week. I have it wired to be hot all the time. I tested it out and everything worked fine.
Got on the bike today and all was fine.
After about 30 mins riding, I stopped to adjust my wife's helmet and when I turned the switch on, the Doran went off. When I turned the switch back off, the red light started blinking and there were 3 flashing bars on the indicator for both tires. I removed and reinstalled both sensors and it kept flashing.

Two issues: Why did it quit picking up the sensors... but more strange, why does it turn off when I turn the bike on and start blinking when I turn the bike off.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Update: After several mins, with the bike off, the system picked up the sensors and showed the tire pressure. Still, if I turn the key on or in the aux position, the system turns off. When I turn the bike off, the system is blinking again.

R,
Dave

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I have the Doran system wired the same way and it works great! I would call the company and explain what is going on. What you're experiencing is not normal! Good luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have had a lot of problems with my Doran TPMS. When I installed it (powered all the time), it would stop reading the rear tire. After a few minutes it would pick up the tire again.

I called Doran and they sent a replacement transmitter. I installed it and everything worked fine for a while. Then it would stop reading the front tire. Or the rear tire. I called Doran again and they told me to swap the sensors. I did and amazingly, the problem stopped long enough for me to install the sensors inside the tires.

Yesterday, the problem came back, this time for the front tire. After a few minutes, the problem went away.

Now, Doran told me that the range of the sensors is severely limited. (Yet they sell 4-wheel sets for trailers?) I think the problem is either receiver location (I installed mine on a bracket off the right handlebar) or some receivers are faulty and have limited range.

Once I installed the sensors inside the tire, there was no way I was going to remove them until the next tire change. There is good news. At least for me, if I rotate the tire a couple times, the receiver picks up the sensor and works once again.

Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Same problem

My rear sensor stop transmitting for 10 minutes at the end of a 150 mile drive while on the freeway at 70mph. Nothing like seeing those 3 dashes, flashing red light on a overpass at 70 mph with my wife on the back. It has happened front or back while parked! They sent me a new back sensor and now the front did it last week.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Howdy neighbor! I'm over here in Leesburg, VA.

Certainly is an odd behavior you are having. Exactly how did you wire it to stay on all the time? Direct to the battery? If the system is turning off when you turn the key on, I'd go back over the installation and make sure you don't have something loose or incorrectly attached. Need a bit more info on how you wired it.

I have mine turn off with the ignition. Once when in the garage, when I turned the ignition to ACC the monitor was only able to intermitently pickup the rear tire. I suspect the sensor (mounted on the outside) must have been in a location difficult to pickup a reading from. Moved the bike a bit and the problem was solved.

I've never had it loose a signal while riding the bike (wheels spinning).

I installed the Doran last week. I have it wired to be hot all the time. I tested it out and everything worked fine.
Got on the bike today and all was fine.
After about 30 mins riding, I stopped to adjust my wife's helmet and when I turned the switch on, the Doran went off. When I turned the switch back off, the red light started blinking and there were 3 flashing bars on the indicator for both tires. I removed and reinstalled both sensors and it kept flashing.

Two issues: Why did it quit picking up the sensors... but more strange, why does it turn off when I turn the bike on and start blinking when I turn the bike off.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Update: After several mins, with the bike off, the system picked up the sensors and showed the tire pressure. Still, if I turn the key on or in the aux position, the system turns off. When I turn the bike off, the system is blinking again.

R,
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts