GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helping a friend install Doran TPMS and noticed the sensors are supplied with a locking ring so the sensor can't come unscrewed. (similar to the tyredog but 3 set screws) The question is, has Doran always had the locking ring or is this something new. The manual doesn't mention anything about these lock rings. Curious. Thanks for your reply in advance.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Mine don't!

·
Registered
334 Posts
they are to help against theif. but never had any taking so i never installed them

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Doran was only a distributor and thus had no control over new features. The current model of the PressurePro TPMS comes with those rings.

Just went to the Doran site. Looks like they're either selling a different product or are putting the electronics in a new housing. I do like the fact that for the same money, the PressurePro motorcycle unit handles up to six wheels, while the Doran unit is only 2 wheels, unless you buy the 3 wheel or the 4 wheel MC models.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I put my Doran on a couple of months ago, and honestly didn't notice any locking rings, don't care as I put one of the sensors inside the front tire, and will put the other one inside the rear when I replace that one, already have the third sensor in my spare tire on the shelf. The motorcycle TPMS I have will support monitoring 4 tires, as I had it monitoring my spare as well.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I never used the locking rings and I have both mounted on the outside! Too much work involved every time you need to add air. Besides, who the heck is gonna rotate your tires around to be able to steal the sensors anyways? I mean really! If you live in a neighborhood like that, it's time to move! :thumbup:

·
Registered
334 Posts
We have them on 2 semitractors and never installed the rings. got over 100k on both sets and never came off or came loose. Just had one stop sending and sent it back and had a new one in less than a week. On the bike i'm using a old smartire.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you use loctite to secure them? We didn't use loctite but within half mile they had both vibrated loose. BTW, this is on a Harley Ultraglide. I know they vibrate but I wonder if the wheel feels the vibration as well.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just screwed them on like a valve cap. i have one i have to put air in every 2 days. They never backed off . I can't see how they would if you snug them up against the rubber gasket in the sensor.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Just screwed them on like a valve cap. i have one i have to put air in every 2 days. They never backed off . I can't see how they would if you snug them up against the rubber gasket in the sensor.
:agree:

Have mine installed on the OEM 90 degree on my '09 (solid metal valves). A buddy of mine has a set installed on his RSV using the Doran supplied straight stems and he hasn't lost one either (neither of us use the anti-theft locking rings).

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Put them on my other bike, smaller, but two sensors are always 1 lb. differant; even with same air pressure. (three wheel bike) Used a twin tire gauge to set the dual pressures the same, and always show a + 1 psi on one. Did slip the lock rings on, with supplied metal stems, and took a lot of tightening on stems to stop tiny leaks. Rings are a pain, and may pull them off, but was not sure about road vibration with smaller wheel sizes. :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We screwed them on the Harley rubber straight stem tll the stem started to twist. Apparently that was not enough. He intended on running them with the rubber stems till he got new tires. I'm really suppressed they came off so easily. Was able to find both of them but one didn't work after the bouncing around on the road. Doran is sending him another one free. We are going to mount them internally this weekend with a new set of tires. Locking rings have three sets screws and is a hassle.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Securing the Doran Senders

I am using the Doran TPMS on (2) of my Motorcycles with Doran optional Angle Valves with Nut to tighten them on outside against Cast Wheel not inside like some solid Tire Valves do.

I secure them using a Hex Nuts that come with the Straight Metal Valves they supply. I just screw the sender down tight, then back off slightly, screw the Hex Nut that is on Valve stem behind the Sending Unit up to the Sender. Then tighten the Sender against the Hex Nut to lock it in place.

Started doing this after having one come loose and hitting Road at 70 MPH. This must of cracked the Rubber on the Sending Unit but I could not see this crack. Tire kept losing all its air overnight so sprayed soapy water on sending unit to see air coming out the top of the Rubber part of sending Unit.

Doran did replace this Unit for me and I purchased a Spare just in Case I need it later.

Ron

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I believe the instructions that came with my Doran unit has a strong recommendation from Doran to not externally mount the sensors on rubber valve stems. Doran says to only mount the sensors externally on all metal valve stems. They provided a set of straight and bent metal stems.

I thought it was due to the danger of valve stem fatigue and failure. Looks like they may also vibrate off also.

We screwed them on the Harley rubber straight stem tll the stem started to twist. Apparently that was not enough. He intended on running them with the rubber stems till he got new tires. I'm really suppressed they came off so easily. Was able to find both of them but one didn't work after the bouncing around on the road. Doran is sending him another one free. We are going to mount them internally this weekend with a new set of tires. Locking rings have three sets screws and is a hassle.

·
Registered
595 Posts
.... I do like the fact that for the same money, the PressurePro motorcycle unit handles up to six wheels, while the Doran unit is only 2 wheels, unless you buy the 3 wheel or the 4 wheel MC models.
Actually, the standard 2 wheel Doran unit utilizes the same control head as the 3 and 4 wheel models. This control head is capable of reading up to 4 sensors simultaneously. In order to add 3rd and 4th wheel capability it is only necessary to purchase additional sensors for those wheels. The 3 or 4 wheel MC models you describe merely include the necessary additional sensors in the package.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts