GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a friend that has a 1500 Wing and needs to add brake fluid . Its calls for Dot 4. all we found is Synthic Dot 4 . Will this mix with the fluid in the brake system without causing any problems.
thomas

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I didn't know that there was a difference in different brands of DOT4. There is a standard that states what is in DOT 3, 4, & 5. Nonetheless, I always flush out all of the existing fluid 2 or 3 times before putting in new. By flushing I mean fill each reservoir and then flush that fluid through 2 or 3 times.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went to Walmart yesterday all they had was Prestone Synthic Dot 4. They had Dot 3 ,but all it said was Dot 3 on the label.
thomas

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
The last container of Valvoline synthetic brake fluid I bought clearly said compatible with either Dot 3 or Dot 4 brake fluids. I wanted the compatibility for replacing or flushing existing Dot 3 fluid, but it should apply to adding also.

·
Registered
902 Posts
TravelinLite wrote:
Nonetheless, I always flush out all of the existing fluid 2 or 3 times before putting in new. By flushing I mean fill each reservoir and then flush that fluid through 2 or 3 times.
I do the same thing. I just feel better about the flush if I know I have completely flushed the system and I have nothing but new clean fluid in the lines. When the MityVac container has very clean fluid in it, I know the job is done.

I use synthetic DOT 4 with no problems. It seems to stay clear a lot longer.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Ummmm, ALL DOT 3 & 4 brake fluids are synthetic...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The last container of Valvoline synthetic brake fluid I bought clearly said compatible with either Dot 3 or Dot 4 brake fluids. I wanted the compatibility for replacing or flushing existing Dot 3 fluid, but it should apply to adding also.

This stuff has replaced Valvoline's Syn-Power. Actually, it's likely the same stuff with a new label. Fully compatible with any regular DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid. Don't confuse the word "synthetic" with silicone-based stuff like DOT 5. Synthetic doesn't necessarily mean silicone.

Stu

·
Registered
582 Posts
Before adding brake fluid to any system find out where the fluid went. I would check the brake pads for wear. If they are worn down the fluid may appear low, but when you replace the pads and push the pistons back it will be full again. If you put fluid in before replacing the pads the reservoir will be completely full or over full. If the brake pads are good find the leak. JMHO
RogerB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts