GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change my brake fluid to dot 5 synthetic. I know I have to R&R my master cylinder & calipers but how can I clean the brake lines because dot 4 & dot 5 mix like vinegar & water.

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
There's a liquid available you can flush the system with, but why? DOT4 synthetic has a boiling point almost as good as the silicone DOT 5.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
[DOT 5 syn. won't let water & condensation develope in your brake system so you don't have to service it. ] the condensation will still be there . the water will not mix in the fluid so it could cause local spots of water . i will just keep chaging mine

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
slow&easy said:
DOT 5 syn. won't let water & condensation develope in your brake system so you don't have to service it.
OH YES IT WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .....The (older)corvette people have STAINLES PISTONS & SLEAVES installed in there calipers to combat water !!!Also I have tryed dot 5 & DID NOT like the "FEEL" of the brakes (notchey lever "feel")...chuck

·
Registered
598 Posts
DOT 5 does not offer the lubricity of DOT 3 or 4 fluids, consequently braking will feel different, and if you have ABS, can even behave differently when that system is activated.
Even with DOT 5 fluid you still need to flush the system periodically and replace the fluid. No real advantage to the DOT unless you're racing and overheating your brakes constantly. Even under those conditions it gets replaced often. The Valvoline synthetic DOT 3 & 4 pictured in Red's post is what I find excellent for all my bikes' brakes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Isn't the DOT 5 brake fluid a silicone rather than synthetic?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dot 5 (silicone brake) fluid is NOT recommended by any manufacturer of cars, trucks or motorcycles when the vehicle is equipped with ABS. It also causes binding in cylinders when they have been rebuilt putting in a brass sleeve. Dot 5 is thinner than regular brake fluid and will find leaks that were not there before. Dot 5.5 is the latest regular brake fluid. You might want to try that.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I think you mean DOT 5.1 instead of 5.5 old_biker.

Freeze slow&easy, :wink:
Now slowly put down the DOT-5 can and move away from the bike. :lol:
Here's a web page that gives a great rundown on brake fluids.
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_brakefluid_1a.shtml
It's geared more to the racers but it has all you need to know.
If you want to spend the bucks, DOT 5.1 is available, like old_biker says.
But as Bulldog says....WHY?
DC

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I use what Red has pictured. It has worked great. Matter of fact I think its time to flush my system again. I hate that job.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Its not the brake fuild that makes your bike suck. Its everything connected to the brake fluid!

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
wingman57 said:
DOT 5 will rot the seals and rubber brake lines!
No it doesn't! :roll:

If you mix it with 3 or 4 chances are it will turn all rubber to "chewing gum", but if the system is flushed well, it won't hurt a thing.

I just can't see any benefit to using DOT5 except it won't hurt paint.

Harley went back to DOT4. They went back on the Tourers in '05 and the ST's in '06. I think all models are back to DOT4 now.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Thanks folks; that was quite edgikatin'!

prs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts