GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
Well, I'll try and make a long story short. While unloading our Wing from the lift on the back of the motor home yesterday, I made the mistake of not putting the ramp down so the bike could easily transfer from the rail to the street. In doing so, it dropped about 2 1/2" from the tip of the rail. When that happened, the right side foot peg sheared off as it hit one of the lifting arms of the lift. GREAT!

We're on a trip with the motor home carrying the Wing and towing our Jeep Rubicon and presently camped just outside, to the west of Albuquerque NM. So, I got on the computer and started searching the net for possible Honda dealers for my grenaded foot peg. Only found a couple. One could not get it to me in less then 4-5 days and the other would not get back to me 'cause they were busy with customers. So, I was led to a place called "Accessory Pit" in Albuquerque. I called them and they actually had a pair. So, off to the Accessory Pit we went.

Upon arrival, we noticed several Wings outside and many inside, many were trikes. So, we walked up to the counter where, my foot pegs were waiting. Since it appeared they did quite a bit of work on Wings, I asked if they balanced front tires on or off the bike. They said yep and told me the price. My front had been wobbling for quite some time now, at about 50 mph and below, depending on how much tension I had on the bars with both hands at any particular time.

I was called into the service area and shown my front tire. It was cupped beyond belief. I knew it was getting there but, not THAT bad. They said they would not balance it because it would do no good. So, I looked at the Boss, (my wife, not the service writer) and said, OK, let's put a tire on it. Well, they were about to put on the Dunlop Elite III when I was scanning the tire rack and they had Michelin Pilot Active rear tires, 130/70H-18, about three of them, there too.

I asked about them and they said they used the Michelins for the front of the trikes, in reverse for better stabilization. So, I said, what's wrong with putting one on the front of my bike? They said they've never done that, put one on the front of a two wheeler that is. I said, well, you're about to.

$314.00 and two hours later, we drove out of there, with a new front tire, new foot pegs, some plugs for the Allen bolts on the bars, and some new KURYAKYN ISO GRIPS/HEATED GRIP APPLICATION grips. We took off down the road with the new front, and grips and this bike felt great. No wobble, no issues of any type. It drives straight and narrow. While I didn't go do some high end twisties, which I'm not fond of anyway, it handled all the city streets and freeway sections I was on before we turned into our camp ground without any issues at all.

So, I guess you could say I'm a "Double Darksider" now huh?
Scott

P.S. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the rear tire is one I purchased from another member here about a year or so ago, a Dunlop SP 5000 195/60-16 non-run flat, and presently have around 18,000 miles on it and it's still going strong with tons of tread left. I love that tire. The front tire I replaced was Metzler 880 with somewhere around 7000-8000 miles on it. It had quite good tread left on it but as stated, it was almost square.
Scott

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Double your pleasure!

Thanks for the writeup -- always nice to hear about places that do good work on wings, and give the customer what they want!

Accessory Pit, Albq, NM. Noted.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts