GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Darkside; I am the proud owner of "Cav Baby", a midnight blue 2009 GL1800. After 17,000 miles, it was past time for new shoes. A couple of friends had already gone over to the Darkside, and they recommended it for my kind of riding (3-500 miles a week, plus American Legion Riders and Patriot Guard Riders missions).

I did my research (thanks, gl1800riders.com!), and decided to go Double Darkside with a Bridgestone Potenza 195/55-R16 on the rear, and a Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 on the front.

A local sportbike shop, which shall remain nameless, put on the new shoes; $100 to mount, balance, and install both tires. The owner said he wanted me to pay cash, so there would be no paper trail for the "dangerous" conversion. I laughed, because I think he really wanted cash so he wouldn't have to give the state its pound of flesh. I was cool with it. The old tires are worn down to almost nothing, but I saved them in case I need an emergency shoe someday.

Cav Baby's maiden run on the Dark Side was most excellent! I took her around the city, laid her over on a couple turns around a roundabout, and let her off the leash for 50 smooth miles- up to the Potawatomi Nation and back. I got used to the difference in handling without any trouble. She still lays over for some good old fashioned peg-scraping on the corners, and holds the road like a dream. Smoothest ride I've had since I bought her. Stopping distance is much shorter than the old Dunlops. I had the biggest s***eating grin on my face as I rode!

When I got back to town, I stopped back in at the shop. The owner gave me a "look" when I walked in, and asked me what was wrong. I told him he'd done a great job, and the bike handled beautifully. Cav Baby was the 11th Dark Side conversion he had done so far. I told him I'd recommend him to anyone.

I'm taking a riding vacation to Colorado next month, and I'm really looking forward to the long ride.

So, I'd like to put a Darkside sticker on Cav Baby's back fender. Who do I contact?

:thumbup:

I'm Big Dog, and I approve this message.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Welcome to the DS and the board BigDog. TJRanch handles the DS decals and Murgie handles the DS numbers. They'll probably both be around shortly, but don't hesitate to PM either one of them.

Enjoy your upcoming ride to CO. Many (S)miles to come.

BTW, are you current or former Cav?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the DS and the board BigDog. TJRanch handles the DS decals and Murgie handles the DS numbers. They'll probably both be around shortly, but don't hesitate to PM either one of them.

Enjoy your upcoming ride to CO. Many (S)miles to come.

BTW, are you current or former Cav?
Thanks. I'll send out the PMs. Who bakes the Darkside cookies? That's the real reason I crossed over- for the cookies.

I was a flight medic for 6 years, and a medical NCO in an Air Cav squadron for 6 more.

I've been meaning to put some art on my 'Wing- crossed sabers and a medical caduceus on the nose, and a pinup girl on each side.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Thanks. I'll send out the PMs. Who bakes the Darkside cookies? That's the real reason I crossed over- for the cookies.

I was a flight medic for 6 years, and a medical NCO in an Air Cav squadron for 6 more.

I've been meaning to put some art on my 'Wing- crossed sabers and a medical caduceus on the nose, and a pinup girl on each side.
The Cookie Man? That would be Rail32 out of Wisconsin. I am sure he'll be along shortly as well.

Former 10th Air Cav here:thumbup: Best pilot in our squadron was a CW-4, former Nam medivac pilot.

·
DSI Keeper
9,158 Posts
Welcome to the darkside, and the boards, KSBigDog! I sent you a PM!

:congrats:

Get use to this smiling when you are running these tires. Oh yeah! It's that good! :thumbup:

You'll need duct tape after a while. Your grinning muscles are going to get tired. :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Former 10th Air Cav here:thumbup: Best pilot in our squadron was a CW-4, former Nam medivac pilot.
Buffalo Soldier? Hooah!

I have always had great respect for the warrant officer medevac pilots and crewchiefs who did the deed in Vietnam while I was a kid, and were still flying when I was a young medic. I also have the greatest respect for today's young troopers, deploying multiple times and serving our country with pride and distinction.

I that deserves another "hooah"!

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
PM sent...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Darkside front

Did you reverse the tread on the front tire?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you reverse the tread on the front tire?
No, not this time. I forgot to tell the mechanic to do it, so I'll run this tire forward, and the next one reverse, and see which I prefer.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Long time no see BigDog !! Yes, we know each other. I work in that big building at the corner of 4th and Kansas.

The indy shop that did your work.....is that the one across the street from the lawnmower place?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Long time no see BigDog !! Yes, we know each other. I work in that big building at the corner of 4th and Kansas.

The indy shop that did your work.....is that the one across the street from the lawnmower place?
Hey, it's good to hear from you! How is the long arm of the law?

That's the shop! They did a great job.

I've ridden 500 miles since I crossed over to the Darkside, and I won't go back.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Welcome to the Darkside Bigdog! Enjoy the super gripper slipper!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts