GL1800Riders Forums banner

Double Darksiding

2K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  hunzee 
#1 ·
:bow: Need some advise. I have gone to the Dark Side months ago and have about 2k on it and love it. Now I'm ready to change my front tire and have ordered a Pirelli Sport Demon for the front and it will arrive tomorrow. I've read on this site that most of you are running it "backwards" due to forces of braking and the way the tire is made with the belts. I assume since it was made for the rear and prestressed for the torque of the engine is the reason, BUT are the rain grooves made to go one way? My question is one of logic and if I were to mount it as intended, with the arrows, rolling the correct direction and if it is good enough to handle the braking in the rear would it not be OK for the braking forces in the front? I've got great tips and advise from this site so I'm looking to you for the answer on how to mount this tire. Thank you in advance for the advise and help. :bow:

#2 ·
Im Double Darkside with the Sport Demon on the front mounted the 'correct' way (arrows in the forward direction) and am over the moon with the handling/braking of it. Coming back from work this morning I had a mixture of standing water, ice and sleet and the bike handled beautifully, front and rear!

#3 ·

Mine to is mounted the normal direction, arrows forward !! Great braking and handling, It is a Battleax BT45.. It will run just like a rear tire only with out torque during acceleration.

JMHO :lol:

#4 ·
IMO, go ahead and put it on the right way, you'll never notice the difference.

I've got the Battlax now, but the Sport Demon will be my next one.

#6 ·
My Battlax is on backwards, because when I mounted it I wasn't paying attention to the arrow on the rim and mounted it in reverse. I decided to try it like that and have had no problems in 17k. It is cupping some now but still looks new.

#7 ·
When I mounted my Battlax in reverse to match the tread pattern of the 709 it was replacing,I didn't notice any handling issues..

But I must "Warn you if you mount any tire in reverse"

You will be going back in time to relive your past.
I don't know about you-But I've had some arguments with some "Really stupid people".
Now that I run my Demon in the forward direction and things are back to normal,life is so much easier. :thumbup:

What I found out of all of this was that those same people are not only just as stupid now,But have gotten worse..:wrong:

So save yourself from what I discovered."You can't fix Stupid" people. :shrug:

Go forward young man,Go forward! :biker:

#8 ·
double darksiding

Thanks guys. That's 6 out of 6 for mounting it the "right" way. I will pick it up this afternoon after work and get it mounted. I feel better having your opinion match mine. It's thanks to you also that I'm a Darksider to begin with and couldn't be any happier with it. The black Darkside sticker looks great on the Pearl Yellow back fender just above the tire. Thanks again. :yes1: :bow: :coffee1:

#10 ·
Kent Kauffman,
I am running the Battlax with the arrow in the forward direction also. I thought it would disperse water better that way, no proof just my thoughts. I rode in heavy rain for about 10 hours one day and was very pleased with the CT rear and Battlax front. Performed flawlessly.

#11 ·
Forward or reverse, it really makes no practical difference. It makes no difference as far as rain grooves, it makes no difference as far as hydroplaning in the rain or on wet roads. It makes no difference as far as tire longevity or fuel mileage or noise or heat building up or time travel or ride comfort or even the number of raisins in each box of raisin bran. It may make a slight difference in braking traction but since I can't find the article that makes me believe that I won't bother to try and explain it. I do believe the difference would be basically unnoticable and something that might only show up under laboratory conditions. Let it suffice to to say there is a reason why the tread on many front tires runs counter to the tread on the rear. To follow at least one manufacturers recommendation, a rear tire used on the front should be turned around and run in the reverse direction and that is because of the internal construction of the tire. Having said that, I refer you to my opening statement. "Forward or reverse, it really makes no practical difference." So, can we drop the psuedo-techincal, non-scientific justifications and just go with personal preference for our reason to run them one way or the other?

#12 ·
I got it installed today and test rode it. It was a short trip as it is raining today and expected tomorrow too. It looks great and felt OK for the short time I had to test it. Thanks to all for the advise.:thumbup:

#13 ·
Thanks guys. That's 6 out of 6 for mounting it the "right" way. I will pick it up this afternoon after work and get it mounted. I feel better having your opinion match mine. It's thanks to you also that I'm a Darksider to begin with and couldn't be any happier with it. The black Darkside sticker looks great on the Pearl Yellow back fender just above the tire. Thanks again. :yes1: :bow: :coffee1:
welcome to the double darkside....it's great over here, glad you made it. I get to gloat constantly with my wing buddies who put a motorcycle tire on the front and notice how much tread I have on my battlax compared to their new MT. The tread is almost twice that of a MT tire. My buddy, Mike, actually got a quarter out to compare tread depth....he didn't say a word, just had a scowl on his face the rest of the day. ;)

#15 ·
ElderJay, I'm not sure what your confused about. Yes it's a MC tire but it is a "rear" MC tire installed in the front hence the name Double Darksider. CT on the rear and a MC "rear" tire on the front. By the by, I'm loving mine. :popcorn:

#16 ·
I installed my Battleax backwards ( no, not the exwife ) because I wanted to go back in time. ( See previous parenthesis.) It's not working, I didn't go back in time at all. Any suggestions as to what I may have done wrong.

#17 ·
I installed my Battleax backwards ( no, not the exwife ) because I wanted to go back in time. ( See previous parenthesis.) It's not working, I didn't go back in time at all. Any suggestions as to what I may have done wrong.
It's in the Goldwing Owners manual under the heading 'Special Relativity/Paradoxes'.
It quite clearly states that the tire should be changed at midnight during a full moon. The tire, once fitted on the rim, should only be brought to the desired pressure whilst inside a circle made up of thirteen previously selected Naysayers brandishing cheap tire irons and slowly chanting "Firey Death, Firey Death".
Once the tire is at pressure and mounted on the bike, the owner (who, as in previous Honda Ceremonies, is already naked) is then cleansed with white wine vinegar and Starbucks coffee. Time travel will occur at speeds of 33mph or above, or not.
Honda does not recommend, advocate or encourage the use of any other ceremonies/chants/naked vinegaring. None approved time travel will void your warranty, and in many cases your warranty may not have even been written yet.

#20 ·
It's in the Goldwing Owners manual under the heading 'Special Relativity/Paradoxes'.
It quite clearly states that the tire should be changed at midnight during a full moon. The tire, once fitted on the rim, should only be brought to the desired pressure whilst inside a circle made up of thirteen previously selected Naysayers brandishing cheap tire irons and slowly chanting "Firey Death, Firey Death".
Once the tire is at pressure and mounted on the bike, the owner (who, as in previous Honda Ceremonies, is already naked) is then cleansed with white wine vinegar and Starbucks coffee. Time travel will occur at speeds of 33mph or above, or not.
Honda does not recommend, advocate or encourage the use of any other ceremonies/chants/naked vinegaring. None approved time travel will void your warranty, and in many cases your warranty may not have even been written yet.

This is one reason I so like the Darkside forum.

If you can't laugh at yourself, who else could you laugh with??

Enjoy!

#21 ·
:joke: I laugh the loudest at myself! :agree: In fact almost daily. :yes1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.